“Fawlty Towers 2?”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Bucharest, Romania
“Fawlty Towers 2?”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We loved Fawlty Towers, but experiencing it as a guest is rather less fun.

We stayed there while visiting Bray for the Fat Duck and Waterside Inn. By all means go to those fabulous restaurants, but do choose a proper hotel.

The most we can say is that this place has a beautiful setting and, much like Basil Fawlty, things seem to happen to them. They do not seem to actively try to inconvenience you, but they are rather good at it.

Where to start...

My wife got temporarily stuck in the bathroom because of a malfunctioning door. Was that before or after we were allowed to run out of tis extraordinary luxury, soap? Alas, I don't remember.

They bungled calling us taxis twice. One of the times we almost missed our reservation at the Fat Duck. Do they have any idea how bloody difficult it is to get one of those? I think they don't care, because they almost told me so.

The hair drier was activated by holding your hand high above your head and gyrating your entire body in funny ways. Endless fun, I must say.

Breakfast was good, no, excellent, after a big Bray meal, because it was poor and mosly gone by 9.30 ish a.m.

Upon experiencing all of this fine treatment we left a day early. My wife's conversation with the receptionist was straight out of Fawlty Towers, minus the "que?". We were told that a less than 24 hours ahead cancellation resulted in payment of the entire fee. We pointed out that there were more than 24 hours left and we were informed that is not relevant since the supervisor could not be disturbed until there would be less than 24 hours left and that's what counted. Strangely, we left early anyway.

I would heartily recommend this hotel to you all for at least a night, just for the fun of it. Of course, if you are not minded this way, then best stay away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alex B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed July 14, 2013

A group of us booked to stay in the hotel to enjoy a private dinner together. Never again.

They had run out of most of the wine on the menu and what was available was of questionable quality.

The food was over cooked. In particular the lemon sole was inedible.

When I went to complain I was told by the "manager" that she was really pleased to get my feedback but seemed totally uninterested/unable to do anything about it.

Fawlty Towers comes to mind.

Having said that it is a beautiful setting. A shame the service doesn't match it.

Room Tip: Don't eat there
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank RCSJET
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

A wonderful hotel in beautiful six acres of grounds. Service was exceptional. My friend an I felt that it was extremely good value. Food and cuisine excellent, well worthy of its four stars. Minor issues with the room were dealt with extremely quickly. The only thing I was sorry about was no swimming pool or leisure facilities.

I hope to be able to stay there again at some stage. Would highly recommend. It is a busy hotel with many weddings and dinners + conferences, but all well managed..

Chris S.

Room Tip: The super de luxe twin room was excellent.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

I recently proposed to my girlfriend and treated us to a dinner at The Fat Duck in Bray and a night at Taplow house hotel. I was very disappointed. The suite itself was lovely I have to say, however if you are paying £240 per night for somewhere to stay there are a few things that you would expect to come included such as free Internet. We were very excited to Skype our parents and friends with good news only to be told by reception that to connect to the Internet you have to sign up using a false email and you only get very slow Internet.
Furthermore we had an afternoon tea for £20 each and something on the sandwiches (probably the salmon) must have been off as we were both vomiting later that evening, which wasn't ideal considering we were eating at a very expensive restaurant. At afternoon tea we were shown by one of the staff where breakfast would be served and were told it would be from 8am til 10:30am. When we arrived to breakfast at 10:10am we were informed that in fact our breakfast which was included in the price of our room (worth £20 each!) finished at 10am, and unfortunately there was nothing they could do about it.
When we checked out and the man at the desk asked how everything was, I informed him of our issues to which he replied "I'm terribly sorry about that" and proceeded to ask how I would like to pay. There was no offer of compensation for breakfast or anything. We left this place hungry and with a bad feeling in our stomach (figuratively and literally). Furthermore, before publishing this feedback on trip advisor I filled in their customer satisfaction survey highlighting my disappointments that they sent to me in an email. Obviously this has been ignored as I haven't heard from them at all.

I have never been more disappointed with a hotel before, especially as I said considering the price you will pay. I am very easy going and dont complain about much but this soured what should have been a very romantic and indulgent stay for my fiancée and I. I will not be coming back and will not recommend any of my friends to go here.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Stephen B
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

A lovely hotel I would really recommend. We stayed for a wedding that was taking place in this hotel: the wedding ceremony room was beautifully decorated and the room for dining was bright and spacious. The service was fine, the staff had to lean over diners to place and retrieve plates but it wasn't their fault due to the layout of the tables. Not enough bar staff though and inflated prices (£10.60 for two drinks, a pint and a glass of wine).

Our room was great - not much natural light (there was a huge tree right outside the window) but spacious and luxurious. Amazingly comfortable bed, clean, shiny bathroom with White Company toiletries. Only minor blip was that some water leaked under the shower door hinge onto the floor. We didn't use the tea/coffee station but it looked well equipped.

Breakfast was fantastic - a buffet-style in the cellar bar so we could help ourselves to cooked items, cereals, toast, continental style meats and croissants and juices. The waiting staff came round for teas and coffees and removing used plates quickly (though not replacing cutlery if you wanted to go back for seconds!).

Overall this hotel is very nicely decorated and maintained, service was good, very clean and luxurious with beautiful grounds. We would be very happy to stay again.

Room Tip: Room 4 is quiet and dark (big tree just outside the window) and quite far from the lobby/function ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Maidenhead
Reviewed June 3, 2013

i stayed here as i was the hairdresser for the bridal party and it was a very early start but i have to say the hotel was amazing nothing was too much to ask for the staff were friendly and helpful and happy faces

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Surrey
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here a while ago, but I can still say that this was and is the best hotel I have ever stayed in throughout all the UK.. We stayed in a suit facing the grounds and had a four poster bed and walk-in wet room.. The room was huge and the bed very comfy.. Nothing was too much for the staff and they tended to everything we needed..

We stayed here to visit the Fat Duck which was only a very short cab journey away, so a perfect location for those who would like to visit Heston's original restaurant..

The best complement I can give is that I would stay there again at the drop of a hat...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Grovefield House
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 18 in Windsor

Been to Taplow House Hotel? Share your experiences!