“Beluga Caviar would have been Cheaper!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oak & Saw Village Inn

The Oak & Saw Village Inn
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in Taplow
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are situated in the heart of the picturesque Buckinghamshire village of Taplow, close to the historic river Thames, in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Whether you are just dropping in for a quick drink or are planning to have a meal, you can always expect a warm and friendly welcome and a place where you can relax and get away from the stresses and strains of daily life. Our extensive menus cover everything from a quick snack to three course meals. We also have a good selection of fine wines from which you can choose to complement your meal. In the summer months, you can, if you wish, eat alfresco on our lovely patio or in the garden. There are many places of historical interest nearby, including Cliveden House, former home of Lord and Lady Astor, which was infamously associated with the 'Profumo Affair'. Also of interest is St Nicholas church, which is in the village itself.
London, England, United Kingdom
“Beluga Caviar would have been Cheaper!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

After we left the car boot sale we were starving and so we decided to visit the Oak and Saw Pub in Taplow, which we saw had some very good reviews on Trip Advisor. We went in and there seemed to be only a few tables already occupied. Because the weather was good (by the time we had our meal a thunderstorm raged and rain poured down) we decided to sit outside. We entered the premises around a quarter to one.
My partner ordered a Caesar Salad while I had pulled pork in a ciabatta.
While we were chatting I suddenly realized that quite some time had passed since I placed the order and to be exact 50 minutes. I went to complain and the justification was that a lot of people arrived at the same time and my reply was that when we arrived there were not many people so it didn’t explain our wait. Another member of staff said that we should have been informed of the wait. In fact, if they had said that we would have to wait more than an hour, we would have left. Anyway they said the meal would arrive in 2 minutes, but that became 15 and we were just about to leave when the food arrived. By this time it was just before 2. At least the salad and the pulled pork were absolutely spot on, lots of flavour and freshness except the chips were quite dry but the main ingredients in both lunches, the chicken in the salad and the pulled pork in the ciabatta were used sparingly like Beluga Caviar. My Partner had 3 pieces of chicken the equivalent of 50 gr while I was very lucky, mine had the equivalent of 70 grams of pork! Now if you think that an average portion of meat either a steak, hamburger or a chicken fillet is around 180 gr, you do the sums!
What I don’t quite understand is why it took so long to make a Caesar salad and a pulled pork sandwich when the ingredients are already there, well the pork certainly is while to cook the 3 pieces of chicken and the bacon shouldn’t take more then 5-7 minutes.
In all this I would like to congratulate the staff in the kitchen for the high standard of the food but unfortunately due to the very small portions and the waiting of more than an hour the score has to go down, sorry!!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Francesco C
Senma, Owner at The Oak & Saw Village Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Your visit to our small village pub was on Monday 21 April (Easter monday) and I was sitting on the table next to you outside on the patio. I was talking with 5 friends and we noticed you had some unusual items from the local car boot sale.

As you arrived my 5 friends ordered food and were told that there would be an hour wait as over 30 people had ordered food in the previous 15 minutes. Our chef, who was working alone that day day due to sickness of his assistant, completed 49 covers in two hours, not bad for a small village pub.

You didn't notice all the people in our beer garden i suppose, there is seating for 25 people in the beer garden and all were eating that day, and all had ordered before you guys arrived. The patio where you both were sitting holds 22 covers and it was full to capacity, again all had ordered food before you arrived.

Inside the pub most of the tables were empty as the weather was so nice that everyone wanted to sit outside and maybe that is why you thought it wasn't too busy.

I asked my staff how long customers were being told the wait would be for food and they said 45 to 60 mins. This obviously wasn't correct later in the lunchtime session as some were waiting over 60 mins. I have instructed staff on giving precise times for waiting on very busy days like that.

This was a problem caused by only having 8 people booked for lunch that day and so we had no idea that another 41 people were going to walk in (plus the shortage of staff didn't help). We should have stopped taking food orders once the waiting time was 30 mins, but some people get really aggressive and say "they only want a sandwich, how long can that take?" but it's the 20-30 other people who also want "just a sandwich" that have to be served in order of ordering that takes the time.

I'm pleased you liked the food but dissappointed you thought the portions were not large enough, again, look at our reviews and you'll see most people "complain" that portions are too big! Can't win sometimes!

Notices on the menus explain that all our food is prepared and cooked from fresh on the premises and that delays will occur when we are busy.

I think we did a fantastic job serving 49 people in 2 hours with a tiny kitchen in a small pub cooked by one chef. So much so that i gave the chef a well deserved bonus.

I apologise for your long wait that day. Please try to understand the difficulties a small village pub has serving an unexpected 49 customers freshly prepared and cooked food in two hours and if it's fast service that comes top of your list even though you have been informed of a long wait, then we are not the place for you.

Taplow, United Kingdom
“Sunday roast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We visited here during the Christmas period. Service was good and food lovely. Always very busy on a Sunday some would suggest booking.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ian B, Owner at The Oak & Saw Village Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Many thanks for your lovely review of our food and good service.

You're quite right that we do get very busy on Sundays, also on Fridays and Saturdays, so booking is highly recommended, especially if travelling any substantial distance.

London, United Kingdom
“Food great but a poor lack of knowledge on allergies and slow service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

My girlfriend has a gluten intolerance and called days in advance to see if the Sunday lunch was gluten free/could be adapted; assured that it was we ordered the roast but double checked on making the order just to be sure. Once again, we were given the assurance as the waitress went to clarify with the chef.

When the food arrived my girlfriend's roast looked identical to all others including having a Yorkshire pudding at which point we decided to check for the 3rd and final time as this didn't seem right.

The roast was not gluten free nor could they cater for such a request which was a disappointment given that we had checked on 2 separate occasions.

I approached the manager who was sympathetic but had I not brought the issue up, she had no intention of offering any discount/compensation. My girlfriends meal was free in the end and we were offered a complimentary drink which we declined and no further compensation was offered.

The complimentary meal was the least that could have been done as if we hadn't have checked for the third time my girlfriend would have been very ill indeed. Overall a disappointing experience because of poor information and a badly handled booking. The food was great for those of us without allergies but the service was slow and our dessert order was incorrect so unfortunately we will not be returning.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a long review about our pub.

Neither I or my partner in the business had no idea your girlfriend had a gluten intolerance and my staff member who took your call days in advance to see if the Sunday lunch was gluten free/could be adapted asked the chef if we could serve a gluten free roast and explained it would be possible i.e. no yorkshire pudding or gravy.

The chef served the whole table our usual roast including your girlfriends meal by mistake. When it was discovered we tried to rectify the problem by serving all the usual roast items bar that containing gluten (which includes a little flour in the gravy) but your girlfriend thought it was too dry without the gravy and even though she did eat it, we did not charge for it. To say sorry for the misunderstanding that what you actually wanted was a roast with yorkshire puddings and gravy that didn't contain gluten, we offered a complimentary drink to all of you.

Sorry about the confusion however, I'm glad the rest of your party thought the food was great.

Ian & karen
london
“delicious roast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

we took a last minute cancellation here on Mother's Day after reading reviews on tripadvisor. we do not live far from taplow but have never stumbled across this pub before. first impression was that it was a very traditional pub with only a few tables for eating as opposed to your typical gastro pub/ restaurant.
I was a little worried that it was so intimate as we had a lively 3 year old with us as well as 6 week old baby but luckily there was a big party of diners to drown out my toddler!
we shared the breaded mushrooms which were lovely and then opted for the lamb roast and beef roast. my husband and I thought both meats were so flavoursome. I agree with a previous reviewer that it was one of the best roasts we have eaten out. I tend to be disappointed with roasts other than my own as they lack a certain something, however this had amazing cauliflower,cheese, perfectly cooked veg and lashings of gravy which is a must for me! if I ever want a roast out again , this would be my first,choice!
dessert was sticky toffee pudding. huge portion. but I managed it :-)
the only downside was paying 6 pounds for my daughters meal when all she ate was the chips and a few. nibbles of a fishfingers. she has a small appetite so I knew the portion was going to be too big for her. However that is not the pubs fault. Infact , the fishfingers looked delicious.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for you great review of our little village pub.

Regards

Slough, United Kingdom
“Great food, service and ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

My girlfiend and I decided to try this pub after reading the great reviews on this site, and we really couldn't fault the place. We both settled on sharing 3 starters, as opposed to going the whole hog and getting starters/mains/desserts, and they did not disappoint. I had the devilled lambs kidneys which were excellent- deep flavoursome sauce and just the right amount of bread, she had the ham hock terrine which was a perfect balance of sweetness and texture. Then we both shared the 'slider' burgers which were beef, chicken and pulled pork- again these were very good.

The pub itself is traditional and has a warm, welcoming interior. The service we received from Scott behind the bar was exactly what we needed- he was attentive, polite and tailored his service to our needs (we spent about an hour talking, drinking and debating which starter to have, and Scott just politely checked in with us every so often, never trying to rush us).

A great pub and a lovely evening. Definitely recommend and will be visiting again- thank you!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ian B, Owner at The Oak & Saw Village Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Many thanks for your lovely comments and review of our pub and food

I have passed on your great comments about Scott, thank you

The "Sliders" are a great hit - flying out the door as they say!

Regards