“Spring cottage @ Cliveden a hidden gem”
Review of Cliveden House

Cliveden House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Reviewed December 12, 2013

my wife recently booked a surprise tripn away to celebrate my 50th birthday. having been to cliveden house previously, I was surprised that she had chosen to return there again, not because it was not fantastic 1st time around, just that there are lots of new places to visit.

However, little did I know that we were not staying at cliveden house, and that she had also invited 4 close friends to join us. After my initial shock of 4 friends walking into the lounge at Cliveden, we were then told that we would be transferred by 4x4 to our room. We were driven down through the forest and arrived (about 3/4 mile later) at SPRING COTTAGE. Set right upon the river Thames, the cottage is just stunning. Having previously had the likes of Paul McCartney and Britney Spears stay their, I certainly felt special.

The 3 bedrooms, large Kitchen and circular lounge were stunning, the hotel had laid on food and soft drink in the cottage and my wife had packed the Alcohol, just perfect. After settling in, we rang the hotel who came and collected us in 2 4x4's and took us to the outdoor heated pool at the hotel, scene of the imfamous Profumo affair. Whilst a little chilly outdoors in November, the pool and hot tubs were a great experience.

The only small disappointment was the evening meal, lovely food, just a little too fussy for us, The dog bone on my plate filled with roasted bone marrow, stretched things a little too far, although the steak was excellent. That didnt however detract from the most fantastic nights stay at spring cottage.

The staff and service at cliveden was exceptional.

For that special traet with friends this place is totally recommended.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LesClaireM
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

We remember your visit well and especially helping your wife to keep the surprise right up until we got you into the 4x4's! The Cottage is perfect for such a special celebration and we hope you have some wonderful memories of your milestone birthday. Here is to many more.
Best wishes
Sue W

Reviewed December 11, 2013

My husband and I used to stay at cliveden a lot, but after a disastrous stay a few years ago, while Von esson where having 'problems', we said we would never go again. So bad was the last trip, we were offered a free nights stay, and the new manager honored it....with a MASSIVE upgrade to the lady actor suite..
How do I begin to say how absolutely wonderful the hotel is now, the service, staff, rooms and food were all sublime....A very special place, and I can't wait to visit again. .....and SO wonderful to see Michael is still there, he makes everybody feel like an old friend....well done to the management and staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

We are delighted you gave this magnificent old house another chance. Cliveden is an iconic house and we aim to bring its reputation back to the heady days of the 90's when it was spoken of as one of the finest hotels in England. We are so pleased you feel we are "back" as we certainly like to think we are on the right track. Hard working but never complacent, should get us there. Best wishes
Sue W

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We booked afternoon tea here for a very special occasion and felt this would have the wow factor. It is indeed a very impressive house. We arrived at 4pm to a packed great hall and were seated at a very small table which was hardly able to fit our tea. In fact our teapots were on another table opposite! We were expecting white linen, formal. It wasn't. It didn't match up to the occasion. The tea itself was very good as was the service. We thought there would be atmosphere and perhaps a pianist. Not even music playing. It cost £100 with a glass of champagne for two of us. It was not worth that. Disappointed. Did not enhance our celebration.

3  Thank 846Tina54

It is always disappointing to learn that someone left us after their afternoon tea, having had a less than perfect experience. Thank you for your kind comments about the food & service but that the atmosphere did not hit the mark is a shame. Nancy Astor did not care for the Great Hall either, she referred to it as the "interior of a cigar box", I think we all know what she meant as it can be rather dark, but this evening it is full of warm light and looks quite magical. We will have to keep working on this dimension of ours guests experience. Kind regards Sue W

Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband surprised me with a stay in Cliveden back in August, it was a real, decadent treat and something I hope to repeat again in the not too distant future.

From the minute we pulled up it was something special and since I have a love of stately homes I was in my element knowing that I was actually going to stay there. The room was stunning and we were both very excited that our names were on the door. The bathroom was glorious and we loved that there was a fireplace in the room. Though obviously, being August we didn't get to try it out. Lovely touches in the room such as fruit and water.

We had dinner in the evening but first cocktails in the very impressive hall. Dinner is the only reason I haven't given this review 5 stars. Considering how very very expenisve the meal was it was a bit of a disappointment. The food was good but not spectacular and we were both left wishing it had been a little better. This is not to say we didn't enjoy it but I didn't feel it was as good as it should have been for such a setting and such a price.

On the other hand breakfast in the same room was delightful and we thoroughly enjoyed walking around the grounds the next day.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you to your thoughtful husband for introducing you to us. August would have been blazing hot so I hope you had chance to explore the Estate while you were with us.
So much has changed since your visit this summer, we have refurbished the dining room and have had a new Head Chef, Andre Garrett joined us from "Windows" the Galvin brothers restaurant in London. This gives me every confidence to say that your niggle from this stay will have been ironed out completely for any future visits which we hope will not be too far away.
Kind regards Sue W

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Being National Trust members we decided to visit Cliveden, both to explore the grounds and to dine in the new restaurant. On arrival at this grand stately home, we were transported into another era and felt cossetted from the moment the doorman showed us into the Great Hall with its oak panelling, wall tapestries and magnificent staircase.

As my husband had suffered a wardrobe malfunction (having forgotten his jacket) he was feeling distinctly chilly, but this was addressed immediately by being seated in front of a roaring fire, where we were revived by some very welcome hot drinks and, in a more 'relaxed' mode, enjoyed watching all the 'comings and goings' until it was time to eat.

At the designated time we moved into the newly refurbished dining room with its impressive chandeliers and six sets of French windows offering panoramic views over the South Terrace. At this time of year the woodland wore its glorious autumnal colours, and we were also fortunate to watch some striking Red Kites displaying their aerobatic skills.

Our meal commenced with an amuse bouche of salted cod, followed by a starter of baked beetroot & goats curd salad, main course of braised beef cheek (which melted in the mouth) and a delicious lemon posset with blueberries, white chocolate and meringues. We finally retired to the library to enjoy our coffee and the wonderful 'bon bon' trolley which, given my sweet tooth, concluded our meal perfectly.

The service was courteous and attentive, and a special thanks must go to Barbara for looking after us.

To finish the day we explored the breathtaking grounds and took a walk by the river which was both tranquil and scenic. Having walked some considerable distance, we were delighted to come across Ian (a volunteer) driving their brand new 'courtesy' buggy, with suspension & heating, and naughtily hitched a lift as we had begun to flag - a good way to finish the day!

For information, as Cliveden is a National Trust (NT) property an admission charge of £5.80 pp is added to the final bill, but this is waived upon production of an NT membership card.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

You made your visit sound very appealing indeed, you wrote your review beautifully and completely caught the essence of Cliveden House,Thank you. Thank you too for your special mention of Barbara,definitely one of our hospitality superstars. We hope you hold onto your happy memories of your visit to us and are tempted to return before too long. Best wishes Sue W

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I had an overnight spa stay back in April, a late review I know but this place was lovely and relaxing and well worth the recommendation.
I did find it to be on the expensive side, I did however have a lovely room and it was just a standard. I had trouble with the fire place, which a member of staff kindly helped me to get it started and even offered to return to turn it off.
As I was alone I had the room service which was very tasty. I wish I ordered more.
The following day was spent in the spa which was lovely and relaxing. The food there was nutritious as well as delicious and the outdoor hot tub is also a nice feature, even in cold weather.
Upon departure I was given a complimentary bottle of water and cookies for the journey home which was a pleasant touch.
An enjoyable stay, I look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

I am delighted that we popped back into your thoughts again and that you were minded to send us your review. April is a lovely time of year to visit as the estate planting is coming to life and full of promise. Until your next visit, best wishes. Sue W

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed here for two nights given the proximity to Heathrow. My stay was so good I will never use an airport hotel again! The hotel is truly fabulous. Rooms stunning, bistro great, room service excellent and setting could not be beaten. Additionally the staff were first class, from the pre arrival requirement checks, welcoming team and restaurants. If you want to make business a pleasure or give someone a treat. Stay here. I will return. Soon.....

Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

It is great that you have found us to be your ideal pre and post arrival/departure hotel from now on. Few folks realize just how conveniently located to the airport we are and yet not troubled by noise. In fact sitting in 376 acres as we are we enjoy a very peaceful setting.
All the team here thank you for your review and will ensure a repeat performance when you arrive back in the UK. Safe travels Sue W.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Burnham Beeches Hotel
Burnham Beeches Hotel
#2 of 3 in Burnham
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!