my wife recently booked a surprise tripn away to celebrate my 50th birthday. having been to cliveden house previously, I was surprised that she had chosen to return there again, not because it was not fantastic 1st time around, just that there are lots of new places to visit.
However, little did I know that we were not staying at cliveden house, and that she had also invited 4 close friends to join us. After my initial shock of 4 friends walking into the lounge at Cliveden, we were then told that we would be transferred by 4x4 to our room. We were driven down through the forest and arrived (about 3/4 mile later) at SPRING COTTAGE. Set right upon the river Thames, the cottage is just stunning. Having previously had the likes of Paul McCartney and Britney Spears stay their, I certainly felt special.
The 3 bedrooms, large Kitchen and circular lounge were stunning, the hotel had laid on food and soft drink in the cottage and my wife had packed the Alcohol, just perfect. After settling in, we rang the hotel who came and collected us in 2 4x4's and took us to the outdoor heated pool at the hotel, scene of the imfamous Profumo affair. Whilst a little chilly outdoors in November, the pool and hot tubs were a great experience.
The only small disappointment was the evening meal, lovely food, just a little too fussy for us, The dog bone on my plate filled with roasted bone marrow, stretched things a little too far, although the steak was excellent. That didnt however detract from the most fantastic nights stay at spring cottage.
The staff and service at cliveden was exceptional.
For that special traet with friends this place is totally recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cliveden is unique. One of the world's finest luxury hotels, this grand stately home is set in the heart of the Berkshire countryside, surrounded by 376 acres of magnificent formal gardens and parkland and with wonderful panoramic views over the River Thames. It is one of the finest luxury hotels near London and Heathrow Airport. Guests have included every British monarch since George I as well as Charlie Chaplin, Winston Churchill, Harold Macmillan, President Roosevelt, George Bernard Shaw, John Profumo and Christine Keeler, and many other well-known names from the past and present. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Cliveden House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cliveden House Hotel Taplow
- Cliveden House Taplow, UK - England