“Perfect British Manor house”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cliveden House

Cliveden House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
USA
“Perfect British Manor house”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Enjoyed our stay very much. The Great Room was extraordinarily beautiful and we enjoyed tea or cocktails there. A great spot close to London or Heathrow airport if you want a few days of luxury in the countryside.

• Stayed August 2013
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
I think a slightly different approach to this response is called for here. I am going to start with a thank you to the team for making you feel so welcome and relaxed in these lovely surroundings. As a single traveller I might imagine you would have the opportunity to notice all the small details and if we got these right for you I am delighted. We look forward to a 2nd opportunity to look after you and before too long we hope.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Thanks to a wonderful hubby I was spoilt by a night at this lovely place for my birthday last weekend. The staff were all extremely attentive, they even upgraded us to a junior suite. Once we were checked in the staff were all aware who we were and what room we were in so we were never asked to repeat. Ok, it is a little tired in some areas, but there is a plan of works programmes to upgrade the rooms and do the necessary maintenance. The National Trust are also doing essential external works so views from the dining room are not there, but it is all done as well as possible. The grounds were beautiful and the champagne cruise on the river was a delight. If you are lucky enough to be treated to this experience then I hope you have as good a time as I did.

London
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Ok....it is way more than I would normally spend,but it was a birthday treat, so it had to be somewhere special...and this was special. How many times are you going to stay in such a beautiful building, and it's so English. Ok we were lucky with the weather, sunshine all day. The drive up to the house takes your breath away. We were early so we used the spa, it was warm enough to have a dip in the outdoor pool. I felt like I was in a friends house it was so relaxed. The theme round the pool quintessentially English. .a bit rough round the edges but so beautiful. When we checked in our room was massive and the view down the drive made me feel like I should be in a costume drama. We ate in the restaurant. ..not enough choice for my boyfriend who doesn't like fish...but I enjoyed every mouthful. We were throughly spoilt the whole stay....just one night...I now need to win the lottery so that I can go back.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank treaclepuds
London
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I recently spent a short time at Cliveden and found it the perfect place to totally relax. Wonderful service, good food, beautiful surroundings. I will certainly return for longer soon! If you need to recharge your body and soul and forget the outside world for a while, this is where to do it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LondonHolidaygal
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Happy to learn that you left us relaxed and recharged, we look forward to being able to help you achieve that on another visit when you can next escape to our little haven.
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 9, 2013

It's a great hotel not far from London city. Old fashioned and cozy. Perfect for long walks followed by an excellent afternoon tea. The hotel has a restaurant, good food and good wine. This is the place to really relax. The hotel isnt the newest but part of the charm is just that accprding to me and my partner.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank morlander2013
We are very lucky to have such a great location, just 25 mins from Heathrow and 40 mins from London, I am glad you found us. Cliveden was forged in a bygone era and there is no substitute for the patina that the years have put onto Cliveden for giving her a unique charm, and then we come along in the 21st Century and add the next layer of comfort and efficiency. I am delighted you found it so, Thank you for your review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

our second stay at the hotel, and we were not disappointed. A lovely welcome, friendly and attentive staff. Of course the property is amazing and the grounds fantastic. A lovely home away from home in the splendour of the 18th century setting.

It was a shame that with the cold spring this year we were there just two weeks or so ahead of the tulips being in full flower. The garden looked very promising indeed!

We definitely will come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vincent N
Ahh you were robbed of a treat, the Tulips were indeed magnificent this year. Well you know what it means.... you will have to try and time it right for next next year. We can give you daily updates and let you know when would be the best time to book so that you get to see them in full bloom.
Thank you for your review and for your repeat visits. Regards Sue W
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 3, 2013

How do you write a bad review of a place you love? I HOPE Cliveden is in a phase of transition, because the grand dame's wrinkles are truly showing. This was our fourth visit (though it had been awhile) to this magical place, and we have loved it in the past. Had I checked Tripadvisor for current reviews, it might have warned me. New management seems well intentioned and accommodating, but the touches that make for a world class hotel just weren't there. When glasses removed from your room the night before remain on a hall table by the next evening, this is a sign and just one example of many I might give.

Dinner in the main dining room was good--not great, service was friendly, but we, for example, poured our own wine because no one else offered. Food delivered by room service was, in a word, inedible.

BUT, we thoroughly enjoyed our champagne cruise on the Thames and a second breakfast cruise, both on Cliveden's beautifully restored boat. Ken, the captain, and his aid, Sam, were delightful. Also, the grounds were in a beautiful state, majestic, even more luxurious than on our previous visits. But the National Trust's day-crowds have also dramatically increased, no doubt funding the well-tended grounds. The hotel may be challenged by juggling the public in the heart of what they they are trying to run as an exclusive, country retreat.

We chose to splurge for the Lady Astor suite, a (potentially) stunning room with equally amazing views, but the poor girl was SO tired, fabrics frayed, paint peeling and discolored, window sills literally rotting out from under sashes--well beyond what might be deemed reasonable deferred maintenance. And the absence of air conditioning (there is none) made interaction with these necessary. Fortunately, the weather was rather mild when we were there so opening the windows wide was pleasant, but this could be a real problem at some times of year and in some rooms.

The burden of maintaining a property such as this are on display for all to see. But what an incredible spot. What an inherently wonderful house. We were told improvements are underway and forthcoming. And we are pulling for them! But for my money, I'll wait til she's back on her feet before I go again. And I will look forward to that day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank hoh_11
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your review, even though your comments were less than favourable I detect your fondness for Cliveden and I just wanted to reassure you that indeed we are taking good care of the "Old Girl", the burden is great but the pleasure of watching her come to life is a treat for all involved.
Many touches are being addressed, largely undetected by our guests. For example all the 209 windows are under restoration and we are already half way through the project and most folks have barely noticed, So we will beaver away to help bring back one of the nations treasures to the best possible condition.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
Macdonald Compleat Angler

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!