My partner and I were very disappointed in our stay. We were given a gift of one night as a very special and expensive 50th birthday gift, the one night included our dogs and meals for them and for us were included. Our dogs meal was fine but they made a big deal about the chef creating a special home cooked meal for them. When it arrived, we were surprised to see that it was just some chicken, rice and vegetables - nothing fancy and no different than what we make at home.
However, the worst part of the stay was the total lack of knowledge and proper training of the staff. For example, the person who showed us our room did not say to close the shutters given that it was a hot day and we were in a south facing room. When we returned from a long walk - the main feature of the property is the woodlands - our room was terribly hot. We believed we had air con in the room but that it was not working since there was panel with controls near the front door. When we called fot maintenance, someone showed up who played around with the controls but was not the right person because he brought a lead and a bulb to our room thinking that is what we requested. When he realised the error, he tried to fix it but then turned and walked out of the room after saying it was very hot and he would send maintenance. At no time did he say we did not have air con.
Maintenance never showed after 15 minutes of waiting, another call and 15 more minutes of waiting. So we called to speak with the duty manager who said none of the rooms have air con and they could not even move us to a cooler room becAuse they were full. However, they offered to bring fans and watch and walk our dogs whilst we had our dinner in the dining room.
Dinner was good food although the atmosphere is overly fussy and the sommelier very pretentious. We were told at check in that we could have our breakfast that was included in our room if we would like so we opted for this given that we did not want to leave the dogs unnecessarily on their own. However, there was a £10 charge that we were not told about when this option was offered. Further, upon checkout, there was a line to checkout with only one person at one desk handling which was surprising given how high end and expensive of a hotel this was. And there was a £20 national trust charge which they said was standard but not something they told us about when we booked or checked in.
All in all, the hotel needs a refurb particularly the room we stayed in and the staff needs better training about the ins and outs of the hotel. If we had paid and it was not a gift, we would have felt that it was not at all good value and would have expected a far better experience given the stature, other reviews, history, and association with Relaix Chateau. As it turns out, this is someplace we would never return to again or recommend. It just could have been so much better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cliveden is unique. One of the world's finest luxury hotels, this grand stately home is set in the heart of the Berkshire countryside, surrounded by 376 acres of magnificent formal gardens and parkland and with wonderful panoramic views over the River Thames. It is one of the finest luxury hotels near London and Heathrow Airport. Guests have included every British monarch since George I as well as Charlie Chaplin, Winston Churchill, Harold Macmillan, President Roosevelt, George Bernard Shaw, John Profumo and Christine Keeler, and many other well-known names from the past and present. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Cliveden House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cliveden House Hotel Taplow
- Cliveden House Taplow, UK - England