“Should be so much better, how can this be Relaix Chateaux? Four Seasons needs to take over!”
Review of Cliveden House

Cliveden House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I were very disappointed in our stay. We were given a gift of one night as a very special and expensive 50th birthday gift, the one night included our dogs and meals for them and for us were included. Our dogs meal was fine but they made a big deal about the chef creating a special home cooked meal for them. When it arrived, we were surprised to see that it was just some chicken, rice and vegetables - nothing fancy and no different than what we make at home.

However, the worst part of the stay was the total lack of knowledge and proper training of the staff. For example, the person who showed us our room did not say to close the shutters given that it was a hot day and we were in a south facing room. When we returned from a long walk - the main feature of the property is the woodlands - our room was terribly hot. We believed we had air con in the room but that it was not working since there was panel with controls near the front door. When we called fot maintenance, someone showed up who played around with the controls but was not the right person because he brought a lead and a bulb to our room thinking that is what we requested. When he realised the error, he tried to fix it but then turned and walked out of the room after saying it was very hot and he would send maintenance. At no time did he say we did not have air con.

Maintenance never showed after 15 minutes of waiting, another call and 15 more minutes of waiting. So we called to speak with the duty manager who said none of the rooms have air con and they could not even move us to a cooler room becAuse they were full. However, they offered to bring fans and watch and walk our dogs whilst we had our dinner in the dining room.

Dinner was good food although the atmosphere is overly fussy and the sommelier very pretentious. We were told at check in that we could have our breakfast that was included in our room if we would like so we opted for this given that we did not want to leave the dogs unnecessarily on their own. However, there was a £10 charge that we were not told about when this option was offered. Further, upon checkout, there was a line to checkout with only one person at one desk handling which was surprising given how high end and expensive of a hotel this was. And there was a £20 national trust charge which they said was standard but not something they told us about when we booked or checked in.

All in all, the hotel needs a refurb particularly the room we stayed in and the staff needs better training about the ins and outs of the hotel. If we had paid and it was not a gift, we would have felt that it was not at all good value and would have expected a far better experience given the stature, other reviews, history, and association with Relaix Chateau. As it turns out, this is someplace we would never return to again or recommend. It just could have been so much better.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank ExperiencedBusTrav
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

So sorry to learn we got it so wrong for you, I so wished we had had an opportunity to talk whilst you were with us. The nature of the Historic fabric house means we are unable to put Air Conditioning in many of our rooms, I am disappointed to learn this was not well conveyed to you by the team. It is a shame you end your review vowing never to return, I would be delighted to talk your experience over, please do call if you would still wish to do so.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spent a lovely afternoon here with a relative, enjoyed a wander around some of the extensive gardens then a champagne afternoon tea. The 'tea for two' was bought as a gift for a family member. The food was very nice and the staff were very attentive, friendly and approachable. The atmosphere was relaxed and we enjoyed the views across the River Thames and surrounding country side. All in all a lovely treat for us both and we enjoyed a bit of 'tittle-tattle' about the scandal of the 1960's Profumo Affair.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

To whoever it was who treated you to the gift of an afternoon tea at Cliveden House, thank you for introducing these guests to us. I am really pleased they enjoyed their experience and very much hope they might return one day for more tea, cakes and a quite catch up in these lovely surroundings. Best wishes Sue W

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I spent one day/night here and had the most awesome experience, from the Welcome note right through to my departure. I was part of a party of 14 and our experience started with an excellent history overview of the house, by Michael, who brought the past history alive, very entertaining and informative. We were fortunate to have a helicopter tour and view the house and grounds (plus Henley Regatta) from above which was spectacular.

The Spa was a lovely place to 'kick back and relax', the sun was shining so the sun beds and view were perfect following a massage.

Our evening started with drinks on the terrace before fabulous food served in The French Dining Room, as private dining - highly, highly recommended. The dining room impressed me almost as much as the Royal Pavillion's in Brighton but on a smaller scale.

And so to bed....
The suite was beautiful and retained in an appropriate style, slippers and water placed by the bed. One of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. A great night's sleep before coffee arrived to start the day. Breakfast was very good too, with views of Windsor Castle in the distance.

Do not leave Cliveden without a walk in the grounds which are spectacular and maintained to a very high standard.

All of the above were delivered by the most courteous and willing staff - a real joy to have experienced Cliveden.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

"Wow", well we like that. Always so happy to learn that Cliveden and the team delivered for you on ever aspect of your stay. Also love to hear of our guests "kicking back and relaxing" the house was made for it and I am glad you felt that you could. I hope you have a great summer. Kind regards
Sue W

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Had an entire week here and it really was superb.

The room was excellent, large and airy and so quiet I could keep the windows open and never be disturbed.

Food was very good. Breakfasts perfect. Lunch and dinner was of a high standard - not Michelin star standard, but consistent and very enjoyable, with good choice of menu items. The Beef Wellington we had on one of the dinners was excellent.

The thing I enjoyed most was the environment. The trails are amazing for jogging, either down by the river or into the forest. And the fitness trail was great as well. The Long Garden is my favourite garden, with the amazing Baboon Egyptian sculptures. The wildlife is a delight - I saw Red Kites (who fly in close!), a shrew (right on the path), swans, deer, and of course lots of rabbits, squirrels and wood pigeons.

Also enjoyed the spa, with the wonderful outdoor (heated) jacuzzi and choice of indoor and outdoor pools. In June, the outdoor pool was bracing, but very nice!

As a romantic break, I cannot believe there is anywhere else better near London. I, unfortunately was on a business conference, but it was still excellent for that!

Service was faultless; friendly but highly efficient.

Really enjoyed Cliveden - highly recommended.

Room Tip: I'd recommend asking for an upstairs room in summer months as then one may be more comfortable l...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Colin M

What a pleasure to receive your review. I know you were here for a few days so I am really pleased you found time to conduct business but also time to appreciate the surrounding acres and the beauty of the nature and wildlife all around us. I share your love of the Long Garden, it is a truly magical corner of the estate. I hope you get to return for a romantic getaway with someone special soon. Thank you for your review. Sue w

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights after our Wedding and what a treat it was. What makes the hotel special is the staff and the attitude of all concerned - everyone was a joy to deal with. Our room (Chinese) was beautiful and we could not have asked for more. Breakfast (boht in room and in the main dining area) was splendid; dinner was a treat especially as newlyweds we were made a fuss of. Our favourite part was the exploring the house (especially playing snooker in the basement late in the evening) and the pool and spa area. This felt like a real sanctuary.
The only odd element of the whole experience was the hodes who descend as soon as the national trust gates open. You feel like a member of royalty in the house and then have to navigate round the kids and picnics as soon as you step into the grounds. Overall we're glad that more people get to experience the splendor of the house and grounds, but it did make you feel like a 'normal' person again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Putney_resident

Nancy Astor was a newly Wed when she moved into Cliveden so you can now say you share that experience with her! Thank you for choosing us for this very special time in your lives. I very much enjoyed reading your review and thank you for your sentiment about the team. They may not get it right every single time but I know that they do care and that they aim to spoil our guests and I am happy to learn that this was your experience. I hope Cliveden now holds a special place in your hearts and that you might be tempted to return when your anniversary comes around. Kind regards Sue W

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a short stay at Cliveden House and we have had a really lovely time. The house is full of character and tradition. The grounds, as expected, are stunning and there's plenty to explore. Our room was simply beautiful, quintessentially English would be the best way to describe it. Our bed was really comfortable, I can honestly say I had one of the best nights sleep for a long while! We only stayed for one night but enjoyed the Spa facilities and dinned in the main restaurant 'The Terrace', which was really very tasty. The service in the hotel is exceptional, and they go the extra mile to make you feel welcome. Breakfast was delicious and I was pleased to see a vegetarian option on the menu! This hotel might be expensive but it's worth it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chloe C

Thank you for choosing us for your recent short break away. I am so pleased that you could share the experience with someone special and that you had an all round good experience. I hope you play back those happy memories in your mind and that it makes Cliveden your "special place" for future visits. Kind regards Sue W

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We arrived and were met straight away on the drive. Car park, lunch arranged. All seemless, friendly and efficient. My husband had booked us spa treatments and these were in a gorgeous setting. By now it was 3pm and our room was ready. We had been uograded to Buckingham suite which has the most beautiful views from the bedroom and bathroom. Port and fruit in the room a welcome addition! A trip on the vintage boat with Ken was so relaxing. On the water, sipping champagne and eatung nuts and olives! Then an exquiiste dinner and retiring to such a comfy bed. Newspaper discreetly on the door when we woke and an incredible breakfast. So sad to leave. Bihda ake, chocolate heaven, to die for! The staff are friendly, discreet and professional. The house is charming. Wukd go back in a heartbeat. Thank you Cliveden for an amzing 50th surprise, we will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HertfordshireMarmi
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Belated happy birthday from all of us here.It is a very important milestone so I am delighted that
your celebrations were thoroughly enjoyed. Needless to say we hope you do not wait until the next big "O" birthday to return. I hope we could become a habit and that we see you before too long.
Thank you for all you kind words about the house and team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
Taplow House Hotel
Taplow House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!