“Lunch with a breathtaking view”
Review of Cliveden House

Cliveden House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Reviewed May 8, 2013

It was the day after Bank Holiday Monday and we went to see the bluebells.........
We then returned to the main area to see The Long Garden and the 20000 yellow tulips in full bloom. The Orangery seemed a good bet for a quick lunch, but in fact their full menu didn't start until today. Not to be outdone, we wandered over to the main house to see what they had!
Of course, they could accommodate us and since it wasn't quite midday would we like to go straight to the table or have a drink in the main hall. We decided against the latter as we feel it is always too dark.
We entered the dining room to a blaze of sunlight and a lovely table by the window with a full view of the parterre. " if you had been here yesterday, you wouldn't have been able to see it because it was packed with people" we were informed. I bet the restaurant was packed too
But we were in splendid isolation to be ultimately joined by two more couples and a foursome, who all appeared to be of the same mind choosing from the £22/28 2 or 3 course set menu.
We ordered our main courses and drinks and were soon presented with a very tasty amuse bouchée with some nice varieties of bread. The main courses were beautifully presented - not large, but very flavoursome. Similar comments apply to the desserts. We decided to stay for coffee and my Americano was the best tasting coffee I have had in a hotel for ages - accompanied by a nice selection of petit fours.
All in all one of the best set lunches this year, together with a great ambience and service to match.

Room Tip: No contest - overlooking the parterre and the Thames. But save it for a special treat and don't...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Spring is a great time of year to visit the House and Gardens, the tulips this year were breathtaking and now you have another reason to return as every year they come up with a different scheme.
As the Manager off course I wish the dining room was at capacity every day but I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the opportunity for a tranquil moment at a quieter time to soak up the views and the be spoilt a little by your host. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This magnificent destination is the be all and end all of luxury. It is steeped in history and beauty. My niece was married here and returned often to celebrate. She sent me here as a gift. The grounds are unparalleled, the dining exceptional, and the spa complete. As I experience the remains of the day, so to speak, all I can hope for is another stay at Cliveden.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

What a thoughtful gift from your Niece. I am delighted that after your long journey to us that you felt the magic that is to be found at Cliveden House and Garden. As you highlighted the building and setting is magnificent and I am glad you found it so. I hope as a family you can now compare notes about a shared experience.
Please do come and visit again one day, we are only 25 minutes from the Airport you know ;)

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I booked a table for 4 people at Cliveden House for Afternoon tea as a thank you to my parents and as a memorable occasion since they were visiting me from Norhumberland. It certainly did not disappoint. My request on booking for sitting at some of the higher seats had been accommodated. One of our party's "Gluten Free" afternoon tea had been remembered and was good. The tea selection was very comprehensive and so was the array of sandwiches, savouries, cakes and scones that made up our tea. We received regular refills and our cups were refreshed later on during our visit. We were made to feel extraordinarily welcome and were not rushed out despite the fact that we were the last people still enjoying our afternoon tea. In fact we were positively encouraged to spend as long as we liked and had the opportunity for a look around some of the other dining areas before we left. Our lovely hostess even obliged by taking some photographs to help us remember this very happy occasion. All the staff were friendly and could not have done more to make this a very enjoyable and special occasion. I look forward to the next opportunity to visit this beautiful place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ktcatgreen

Gosh what a long way to travel for Afternoon tea! I know they were not here to just experience Cliveden and that the family gathering was what it was all about, but I am delighted that we did our bit to make your visit particularly memorable. We also hope you can visit again before too long.
Thank you for your review.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This was our second visit in 4 months and we were made to feel most welcome. My husband and I stayed in Mountbatten suite........truly beautiful and had THE most comfortable bed, which is saying something as we have a waterbed at home and that is just heavenly!! The little touches.....hand written welcome card, box of chocs, our names on the door etc make all the difference....attention to detail goes a long way. The weather was glorious so we were lucky to enjoy lounging around outside at the Spa. We also enjoyed the most spectacular grounds and found our way around the maze! Breakfast was fab, service was fab, cleanliness was first class.....everything just perfect this time! I am recommending Cliveden House to my friends and I know that we will return. We've celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary and my birthday here, so the next trip will no doubt be another celebration.

Thank you to the management for making our return trip very special.

Room Tip: Munnings and Mounbatten great rooms. Mountbatten particularly special.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Such a lovely review, thank you. That you have visited twice in quick succession is great to know and we are delighted that with so much choice out there in the way of beautiful hotels that you chose us. Mountbatten is a glorious room with so many authentic features and such space, it certainly is one of the favourites in the house. Always when the weather is with you do you get the very best from the Estate, the grounds are spectacular and the real luxury as a resident of the Hotel is that you can enjoy all the space pretty much to yourselves. An evening walk through the Long Garden with a glass of Champagne in your hand with your loved one is a must do. Hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I decided to surprise my partner with an overnight stay at Cliveden last weekend, Saturday 27th April. As I am somewhat of a stately home enthusiast and a National Trust member I've always known of Cliveden and had always wanted to stay. Well it didn't disappoint one bit.

After saving the pennies I called Cliveden to enquire availability for the above date and spoke to the lovely Flor in reception. After she informed me they had no Deluxe Doubles (all I could afford) available that night I thought I'd have to look elsewhere. Then Flor offered me a Deluxe Suite at the Deluxe Double rate!! I couldn't believe it, I was ecstatic, thanks Flor. She also gave me a price that included dinner and breakfast which was fantastic.

As soon as we arrived I knew I'd made the right choice, the drive up to the house is simply breathtaking. My partner had no idea where I was taking him and was speechless when he first saw the place!! Our bags were taken straight away and we didn't see them until we got to our room. Thanks to the really cheerful and helpful guy that did this, he also gave me great advice later on regarding all the walks round the grounds.

After having a quick wander rounds the grounds and a drink in the magnificent library we were taken up to our suite, Buckingham. In all honesty I've never stayed anywhere like it and I've stayed in some lovely places. The room was huge with a king size bed, two comfy chairs and a massive fireplace. The bathroom was the size of a small bedsit, unbelievable. However, the best thing about this room was the views, right over the Panterre and over the countryside as far as the eyes could see. Breathtaking. A lovely touch was a welcome note from Sue the manager.

We decided to have our evening meal in the less formal Club Room. Mainly because the menu in the formal restaurant did not appeal, mainly fish which I don't like. Anyway we loved the Club Room, is the old stables and a lovely atmosphere. The service was fantastic and if we had any change on us we would have tipped the lovely lady serving us.

After a lovely sleep we had breakfast which was superb, so much choice and the cooked breakfast was outstanding with locally sourced produce (I'm guessing).

After checking out we walked around the grounds and did the Thames river walk, highly recommended!!

A huge thank you to all the staff for their incredible and attentive service. You made us feel like house guests at a stately home and made my partners birthday weekend so memorable.

Pennies will be saved for the next visit!!

Mark.

• Stayed: April 2013

Great to know that your carefully planned surprise stay at Cliveden House worked out all as you would have wishes. Your only challenge now is what to plan for future Birthdays! A repeat performance perhaps ;) We very much hope to welcome you back what ever the special occasion maybe. You may not know this, but the house was build for love so I think it only right we carry on the tradition.Thank you for your review.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is a truly fantastic country house, that is a great hotel. The staff are great and the welcome is warm. The meal in the restaurant was a little old fashioned for me. It was in the old style of being expensively fancy, but the quality was just not there. It was very Fish orientated with no vegetarian option. Having said this, if you fancy a special night away, Cliveden is well worth it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Just wanted to respond to thank you for your kind words about the elements of the house and service that you did enjoy. I was sorry to learn that you were less impressed with dinner. Please be assured that we will look at our offering critically and evolve certain elements. Thank you again.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My mother and I stayed at Cliveden House to celebrate her birthday. The drive up to the house and the house itself were very beautiful. Because of some confusion and mobility issues, I was graciously allowed to change rooms and we both found our rooms to be very large, clean, comfortable and beautiful though decorated in very different styles. On a cold April 1st, our fireplaces were an added bonus.

What was most special was that the hotel made you feel quite royal but even more amazing was the incredible service we were given, especially having booked at a greatly discounted rate. When I asked, we were given a tour of the house including seeing all available spaces and also being told many wonderful stories about the history of the house. We had a fabulous meal at the casual restaurant on the property. Our only disappointment was not being able to take an evening boat ride on the Thames as the water level was too high to make it safe. All the staff were extremely attentive and we were well taken care of from being driven to and from the National Trust shop on the property to having all our smallest wishes and transportation needs met. My mother was able to take some advantage of the spa which she greatly enjoyed. Thank you to the entire staff for making our stay so delightful and special.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Sometimes these old houses make access a bit tricky but I am delighted that the team attended to all your Mother's mobility needs and that you had an all round happy time at Cliveden House. We are very aware that we are so lucky to operate out of a National Treasure such as we do, but I just know that it is the staff who make a good experience a great one by going the extra mile. I am so pleased this was your experience, Thank you for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Burnham Beeches Hotel
Burnham Beeches Hotel
#2 of 3 in Burnham
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!