It was the day after Bank Holiday Monday and we went to see the bluebells.........
We then returned to the main area to see The Long Garden and the 20000 yellow tulips in full bloom. The Orangery seemed a good bet for a quick lunch, but in fact their full menu didn't start until today. Not to be outdone, we wandered over to the main house to see what they had!
Of course, they could accommodate us and since it wasn't quite midday would we like to go straight to the table or have a drink in the main hall. We decided against the latter as we feel it is always too dark.
We entered the dining room to a blaze of sunlight and a lovely table by the window with a full view of the parterre. " if you had been here yesterday, you wouldn't have been able to see it because it was packed with people" we were informed. I bet the restaurant was packed too
But we were in splendid isolation to be ultimately joined by two more couples and a foursome, who all appeared to be of the same mind choosing from the £22/28 2 or 3 course set menu.
We ordered our main courses and drinks and were soon presented with a very tasty amuse bouchée with some nice varieties of bread. The main courses were beautifully presented - not large, but very flavoursome. Similar comments apply to the desserts. We decided to stay for coffee and my Americano was the best tasting coffee I have had in a hotel for ages - accompanied by a nice selection of petit fours.
All in all one of the best set lunches this year, together with a great ambience and service to match.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cliveden is unique. One of the world's finest luxury hotels, this grand stately home is set in the heart of the Berkshire countryside, surrounded by 376 acres of magnificent formal gardens and parkland and with wonderful panoramic views over the River Thames. It is one of the finest luxury hotels near London and Heathrow Airport. Guests have included every British monarch since George I as well as Charlie Chaplin, Winston Churchill, Harold Macmillan, President Roosevelt, George Bernard Shaw, John Profumo and Christine Keeler, and many other well-known names from the past and present. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your Cliveden House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cliveden House Hotel Taplow
- Cliveden House Taplow, UK - England