“An Amazing Place to stay”
Review of Cliveden House

Cliveden House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
east sussex
“An Amazing Place to stay”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is a truly fantastic country house, that is a great hotel. The staff are great and the welcome is warm. The meal in the restaurant was a little old fashioned for me. It was in the old style of being expensively fancy, but the quality was just not there. It was very Fish orientated with no vegetarian option. Having said this, if you fancy a special night away, Cliveden is well worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Just wanted to respond to thank you for your kind words about the elements of the house and service that you did enjoy. I was sorry to learn that you were less impressed with dinner. Please be assured that we will look at our offering critically and evolve certain elements. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
New York
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My mother and I stayed at Cliveden House to celebrate her birthday. The drive up to the house and the house itself were very beautiful. Because of some confusion and mobility issues, I was graciously allowed to change rooms and we both found our rooms to be very large, clean, comfortable and beautiful though decorated in very different styles. On a cold April 1st, our fireplaces were an added bonus.

What was most special was that the hotel made you feel quite royal but even more amazing was the incredible service we were given, especially having booked at a greatly discounted rate. When I asked, we were given a tour of the house including seeing all available spaces and also being told many wonderful stories about the history of the house. We had a fabulous meal at the casual restaurant on the property. Our only disappointment was not being able to take an evening boat ride on the Thames as the water level was too high to make it safe. All the staff were extremely attentive and we were well taken care of from being driven to and from the National Trust shop on the property to having all our smallest wishes and transportation needs met. My mother was able to take some advantage of the spa which she greatly enjoyed. Thank you to the entire staff for making our stay so delightful and special.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Sometimes these old houses make access a bit tricky but I am delighted that the team attended to all your Mother's mobility needs and that you had an all round happy time at Cliveden House. We are very aware that we are so lucky to operate out of a National Treasure such as we do, but I just know that it is the staff who make a good experience a great one by going the extra mile. I am so pleased this was your experience, Thank you for your review.
London
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was very lucky to have booked our one night stay at a very special price for bed & breakfast for my birthday.
We arrived early to make the most of our relaxing stay, and were pleasantly surprised to have access to our room before midday.
We had a stroll around the lovely National Trust managed gardens, followed by a leisurely informal lunch in the Club Room.
We then headed to the Pavilion Spa, and enjoyed the facilities (including the outdoor hot-tubs!) followed by a very relaxing facial - my therapist, Tora, was excellent. Plenty of fluffy towels and robes which were constantly replenished.

We had a very enjoyable dinner in the Terrace Dining Room - service was excellent from all staff especially the sommelier. We then had tea in the atmospheric Great Hall (love the tapestries and suits of armour). My only gripe is that at £60 for dinner, I would expect coffee / tea to be included.

We spent our night in the deluxe Warrender room, which was very comfortable with a potentially lovely seating area - the sofa has seen much better days and could do with replacing. The bathroom was in keeping with the traditional style with more fluffy towels, bathrobes and Asprey toiletries.
Loved the room, but I do have trouble understanding the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms.

This is a hotel for the traditionalists and those who enjoy the thought of a bygone era.
Yes, the interior is traditional and worn around the edges in some areas, but Cliveden is a historical gem and it doesn't pretend to be anything else. Stay here if you get the chance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Delighted to have been able to get you comfortably settled into room early, the estate really is worth exploring so I am glad you made good use of your early arrival. Warrender has a great view of the façade of the house and along the Grand Avenue, there are so many great views at Cliveden, just one of the many reasons to come and visit. Thank you for your review.
Gozo
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Cliveden has the ability to make you feel as if you are visiting a (very rich, generous and loving) relative in their country estate. The delightful sense of "being taken care of" (the staff are wonderful) left me with a feeling of ease and serenity. All felt right in my world again after a few hours in the hotel, spa and grounds. The spa, outdoor hot tubs and pools (indoor and outdoor) are charming - and the grounds are quite simply majestic. The Lobby however tends to feel dark and rather gloomy for my taste.

Room Tip: all the rooms are unique - which means you make not necessarily love the first room you see. worth a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased that Cliveden worked its magic on you and that we were able to help make all right in your world. If only we could bottle that sentiment. Thank you for your kind words about the team & house and we very much hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel was absolutely stunning! The location was amazing, and the grounds were beautiful. Make sure you take sensible shoes as the walk around the grounds was an hour very well spent.

The building was beautiful. I think the shabby comment is somewhat unfair as it is after all several centuries old! All of the seating areas were lovely, but make sure you sit in the room to the right of the main drawing room for afternoon tea/aperitifs as the view is stunning.

We stayed in Asquith. Without a doubt the most comfortable bed ever! Lovely touches such as fruit a d chocolate and really comfy dressing gowns. Beautiful views form our room and the deepest bath I have ever drunk champagne in.

The spa was lovely. I didn't have any treatments in the end as we ran out of time, but the hot tub outside was hilarious as it was freezing outside..... Lots of beds both inside and out to read on....

Breakfast was fab.

The staff bent over backwards for us, from check in to check out. Our suitcase was taken up, but we needed our swimming costumes so within minutes the case was brought down too us. Also a very informative tour up to our room was a lovely touch.

The only reason we have marked the hotel as four star is because of dinner. We chose the Tasting Menu in the restaurant and I am afraid to say we were disappointed. There was no issue to particularly complain about at the time, but we were just left totally underwhelmed. Taste was not good, squid was just ill advised, brown blobs on plate were totally non-identifiable. We have had taster menus at other restaurants, and therefore have a comparison. We spent almost £300 for dinner and wine, but rather wish we had gone to the other restaurant and had burgers!

So, whilst next time we shan't bother with the formal restaurant, we will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Asquith was a huge room, with a walk in wardrobe, a very deep bath, the most beautiful views and a f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for your review that really covered all the bases. I am delighted to read that we hit the mark for you on so many levels and then disappointed to learn that we dropped the ball in one area. From your words we now have a clear area to work on and I can assure you getting it consistently right for our guests is our aim. Great to know you will be back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have never bothered to write a review before, but I had such a fantastic time here I feel compelled to share it...

My (now) fiance took me away for a surprise birthday stay at Cliveden House in January, and I have to say I had the most incredible time here - Right from the moment we arrived through the National Park, turned the corner to reveal the spectacular house, and drove up the grand driveway, until we left the following afternoon with big smiles and a sparkling left hand for me!

When we arrived we were show to our room, which had been upgraded to the Henry James suit as a treat for my birthday, along with complimentary handmade chocolates, bottle of port, snacks and a handwritten birthday message from the manager. The room was huge, with a separate dressing room and bath tub overlooking the grounds. The view of the main garden was so fabulous I insisted on sleeping with the curtains open so I would wake to see it the next morning, which was made even more magical by the light dusting of snow settling as the sun rose.

After a glass of champagne and a walk in the grounds, we hit the spa at dusk and treated ourselves to a soak in the outdoor hot tub in the secluded garden with the clock tower lighting the darkening sky and snowflakes starting to fall. We had some champagne in the grand hall before dinner, before moving to the restaurant for a fantastic meal. My only complaint with the restaurant is that there was no music. Apparently a pianist plays on a Saturday, but as we were there on a Sunday, the restaurant was quiet and needed some music for ambience. For this reason, my fiance decided to wait until we were sat by the fireplace in the library after dinner before popping the question.

The next morning we asked for a later check-out time while we were at breakfast, which was no problem at all. We then went for a long walk along the river and through the beautiful grounds as the snow continued to fall. As we returned we mentioned to the hotel staff that we had got engaged the night before and they insisted on treating us to champagne as we warmed by the fire.

All in all, I cannot recommend this hotel more. The staff were fantastic, the hotel and grounds are out of this world, the food was amazing, and I felt like a princess!

I haven't commented on value because I don't know how much anything cost, but I can say you wouldn't regret spending your money here.

Room Tip: I only saw the Henry James suit.I highly recommend it for the space, grandness, and most importantly...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank H W
We remember you well and were thrilled to read your review. You may not know but Cliveden was built for love way back in 1666, love and romance has been the theme over the centuries, so I am delighted Cliveden was where your magical engagement happened and I hope it will continue to have a special place in your hearts for a long time to come. Wishing you a wonderful future together from all on the team at Cliveden House.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

What an experiance!
This is a hotel par excellence!!
An attractive drive takes you past an amazing fountain arrangement which leads you to this beautiful hotel!
Met at the door by helpful staff who swiftly unload your luggage and deposit it, out of sight, in your room so that when you arrive in your room, the whole impression is stunning!!
We stayed in "Buckingham"-with its own fire!--centrally placed--with views across the manicured gardens to the Thames below! Breathtaking!
This was a surprise trip for me, and it brought tears to my eyes, as it was so perfect!
ALL the staff are trained to the highest standards-my only bug-bear is that, with the usual foreign staff, it makes the flow of conversation more stilted and difficult. But, by no means, are all the staff foreign!
The food is excellent too and the wine list extensive!
The spa was excellent and the outdoor hot-tubs were lovely even in the rain!
I seriously cannot fault the whole place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gosh Faultless, I don't know about that but we certainly aim to make each guests experience as good and as memorable as it can possibly be. We are delighted that this was your impression of Cliveden and we very much hope to welcome you back before too long.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham
Macdonald Compleat Angler

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!