Just had a wonderful last weekend before my first baby arrives at Cliveden. It was the perfect venue for the occasion. Beautiful, historic building but despite being quite traditional it manages not to feel too stuffy or overly formal.
Service here is excellent. From when we first booked we were regularly emailed with information on the hotel and offers to make reservations etc. the only negative we experienced was that while they emailed us the spa brochure and offered to make reservations they did not emphasise how early they get booked up. We attempted to book spa treatments 3 weeks before arrival at an off peak time of year and the only time they had was 9.30 am on Saturday! I'd therefore recommend booking as early as possible. I said we were unhappy we had not been warned that this was an issue and a few days before our arrival they contacted us to move our treatments to 10.30.
That however was the only slight criticism of an otherwise perfect weekend.
We had only booked a club room at a discounted rate but were upgraded to the stunning canning deluxe suite! This was a truly wonderful treat that really made our weekend and they didn't even make a fuss of it. I only realised by looking it up on the website. The room was huge with a four poster bed, views of the beautiful lawns and large living area with a permanently lit fire. Very comfy bed and asprey toiletries in the bathroom which also had wonderfully thick fluffy towels!
Breakfast was very good, a continental buffet and hot food to order although randomly you have to pay extra for some dishes like eggs benedict or salmon. On day 2 we had breakfast in our room for a 10 pound tray charge but it was perfectly served.
The casual club restaurant is nice but with a limited menu. Reasonably priced though around 10 to 15 pounds for lunch.
The terrace dining room is quite formal but a lovely setting for dinner. 60 pounds for 3 courses. The food was very good, especially the desserts. An awesome pre dessert and the grand mariner soufflé with bitter chocolate sorbet and blood orange carpaccio is one of my favourites ever! Don't miss it!
The spa area is nicely done. I had the face and body pregnancy treatment which was very nice and relaxing although the massage not as good as some. There is an indoor and outdoor pool, hot tubs, sauna and steam room and it was a very nice place to while away a couple of hours with the papers.
Drinks prices weren't too bad. 6 pounds for non alcoholic cocktails made me happy and 14 for the proper versions! Wine started at 7 pounds for a medium glass of Sauvignon which is reasonable. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful and made you feel at home without any pretensions. The setting here is beautiful with plenty to do on site although I would recommend going for dinner in bray one night as its only a 15 min drive.
All in all highly recommended and I now feel perfectly relaxed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cliveden is unique. One of the world's finest luxury hotels, this grand stately home is set in the heart of the Berkshire countryside, surrounded by 376 acres of magnificent formal gardens and parkland and with wonderful panoramic views over the River Thames. It is one of the finest luxury hotels near London and Heathrow Airport. Guests have included every British monarch since George I as well as Charlie Chaplin, Winston Churchill, Harold Macmillan, President Roosevelt, George Bernard Shaw, John Profumo and Christine Keeler, and many other well-known names from the past and present. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Agoda, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotwire, Hotel.de, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Priceline so you can book your Cliveden House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cliveden House Hotel Taplow
- Cliveden House Taplow, UK - England