We just came back from enjoying afternoon tea at this stunning country house hotel. We are local to the area but we had never been to Cliveden before so this was a birthday treat for my girlfriend.
You get the full impact of the majesty of Cliveden when you approach the grand house from the drive. I had heard reports that the staff were a little above their station but this could not have been further from the truth. We were greeted like old friends and were made to feel very welcome.
As you walk into the lobby area you are met by a huge open fire to your right and suits of armour and fabulous works of art hanging on the oak paneled walls and a grand staircase to your left.
We were sat in the library with a comfy blue sofa which had a lovely roaring fire with a magnificent view of the garden vistas that looks out towards the Thames. We chose our tea and then was presented with an array of finger sandwhiches, cakes and scones with clotted cream and jam. It was a lovely chilled out atmosphere and we were very well looked after.
After tea, we decided to take a walk in the stunning grounds but just as we left the entrance, the concierge came over to us and gave some elegantly packaged cookies and told us to remember Cliveden when we are enjoying them. It's touches like that which give great lasting memories of a wonderful afternoon.
I think next time, I will treat us and book us in for an overnight stay.
10 out of ten to the staff at Cliveden and thank you for making this birthday treat a very special experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cliveden is unique. One of the world's finest luxury hotels, this grand stately home is set in the heart of the Berkshire countryside, surrounded by 376 acres of magnificent formal gardens and parkland and with wonderful panoramic views over the River Thames. It is one of the finest luxury hotels near London and Heathrow Airport. Guests have included every British monarch since George I as well as Charlie Chaplin, Winston Churchill, Harold Macmillan, President Roosevelt, George Bernard Shaw, John Profumo and Christine Keeler, and many other well-known names from the past and present. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Cliveden House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cliveden House Hotel Taplow
- Cliveden House Taplow, UK - England