“Hit and Miss”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: An idyllic retreat set in beautiful country house-style surroundings, The Red Lion - Stoke Green serves a menu of gourmet European recipes. Trained in high-class cookery schools in Spain and Italy, the chefs bring a wealth of experience, and demonstrate knowledge of a breadth of classic and complex cooking techniques. Partnering with Rothschild wine merchants, guests can choose a bottle from the well-stocked cellar.
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We've turned up on a busy Friday night because of local events and have taken that into consideration.
The food has been lovely and service up until the main course was good.
But....we ordered cocktails after the main course which took half an hour to be delivered and I had to ask a number of times we would like to order dessert. We then ordered further drinks which they had run out of.
I suspect that if it was a general Friday night they would not run into such problems but I also find it disappointing they have not laid down better plans to accommodate the inevitable bum rush.
I would come again but only on a normal night.

There are newer reviews for The Red Lion

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have visited the Red Lion on quite a few occasions [not my choice] and it is possibly one of the worst pubs I have ever been to. The actual look of this pub is quaint and when you walk in there is a lovely country pub air... however, that is where the positives stop.

The service is appalling; led from the front by the blatantly rude landlady. After ordering the over-priced food from the bar [£14.95 for a paper-thin steak with 7 chips]; your food comes in a 'ping'... that being a microwave ping!

The food is tasteless, overpriced and comes in small portions. The desserts are straight out of the freezer and just pointless.

All in all, I would have rather gone to Farm Foods and sat in the aisle with a microwave.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Charming looking pub, but disgusting (overpriced) food and landlady that treats you as if you've killed off one of her children. Wish I had never been and will certainly not go back again!

Would like to know how others have rated this a more than 1 out of 5 on TripAdvisor - maybe they went to another Red Lion.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Part of a small group of about three pubs. The Red Lion is lovely. Nice mix of different spaces, including excellent outdoor seating with sofas. Good choice of beer. Food is very good, perhaps a little expensive. Service was very good. Car parking is pretty snug and they need to find alternative solutions for this.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We came to The Red Lion recently as we were staying at Stoke Place Hotel and didn't want to spend a fortune eating in the hotel restaurant. We informed the waitress we were on a very tight schedule, and our order was taken quickly and our food arrived very promptly. My boyfriend had lamb with dauphinoise potatoes and asparagus. The lamb was served pink and tasted wonderful. I had the wholefood salad with the addition of salmon. The salad was excellent- very healthy but tasted wonderful due to having so many different flavours. The salmon was also lovely, and a really generous portion for just £4 extra. We were both very full and satisfied at the end of our meal, and we managed to get to our next location on time.