“Beautiful rooms, good food but tiny tiny portions!!”
Review of Stoke Place

Stoke Place
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
Bath, United Kingdom
“Beautiful rooms, good food but tiny tiny portions!!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here after a secret escapes deal- we got a three course dinner with champagne and breakfast included.

We got upgraded to a suite when we stayed, overlooking the gardens in the main house. It was beautifully decorated and had a brilliant stand alone bath in the main room. It was really pretty. The hotel itself is really well decorated and I loved the style of the hotel.

The dinner included was a little disappointing. It was overly pretentious food, which I'm sure would keep some very happy, but we went away starving (not good when the price of the meal was £50). The restaurant was empty and we felt the waitress was too attentive for us to enjoy our meal (she wouldn't leave the room even though we were the only ones in there).

The breakfast was very nice in the morning, offering locally sourced food for the hot breakfast. The breakfast buffet was disappointing with a range of poor cereals and not a lot else. It was also a tiny breakfast room, about four or five tables. Again this intimate atmosphere was a little awkward with other diners. I felt this atmosphere in all the shared areas.

Overall was really good value for money and the rooms were beautiful. If the dinner wasn't so pretentious it would have been five stars.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, not the garden rooms and try and wangle a free upgrade!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hazell21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here for a night whilst attending an event at the venue. We found the hotel overpriced for what it is; in my view they charge a premium because the main building of the hotel is quite old and pretty, but the rooms don't match it. We paid £130 for our room (a special wedding rate) a few minutes walk from the main building and it was no better than a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn; and in my experience they have bigger rooms. The bar in the hotel was also very expensive for the quality of the venue; £3 for a small glass of coke and £8 or £9 for a spirit and mixer.

We were staying in a "garden room" and ended up checking in after dark. I was unable to find our room and couldn't find any signs. So I ended up back at an unstaffed reception desk trying to find someone to help; after a few minutes I found a member of waiting staff and he kindly walked me there as it involved walking through the car park and down a badly lit path. The block of rooms were behind a big wall and chalet style; on first impressions it reminded me a bit of a Butlins holiday camp. The block was maisonette in style so a long row of bedrooms on the ground floor and then another row on the top floor.

We were on the ground floor. The entire front of our room was a window looking out onto the access path which I found a bit odd - you wouldn't really want to open your curtains. The room itself was clean but really quite cramped. It was also noisy and the walls seemed very thin. I could hear a man snoring next door and upstairs a baby was crying. I was also woken several times by nearby guests returning and opening/shutting their front doors. In the morning, I could hear our neighbours' conversation through the wall.

In the morning we discovered the window overlooked a garden as well as the access path, but we still kept the curtains closed to prevent other guests looking in. We skipped breakfast in the morning so I can't comment on that. Overall, we left disappointed and I wouldn't return.

1 Thank LinzofLondon
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Just spent 24hrs at Stoke Place and loved every minute of it. We had booked a special offer inclusive deal as an Xmas present and were not disappointed. We were looked after from the moment we checked in and nothing was too much trouble. Great suites. Loved the giant chess. Food amazing and service fantastic. Free wifi. Lovely quiet location and toys and games to keep you amused as you walk the gardens.

If I had any slight grumbles. Many of the staff spoke very quickly and hard to catch every nuance of ingredients in the meals (tell them to slow down). Room air con was a little noisy even on lowest setting. No bubble bath for freestanding feature bath?

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maccadonut_68
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed over in Stoke Place for a one night stay for mine and my boyfriends Anniversary. Stoke Place is very impressive as you enter the grounds with plenty of parking. We were checked in by a professional friendly member of staff and then shown to our room. The interior of the hotel is a mixture of old grandeur with a modern twist and very bright and airy. The room we stayed in was lovely with a four poster bed and the room was warm. The bathroom was just as impressive with a rolled top bath and double sink unit with a rainforest shower. The bed was very comfortable and we both had a good nights sleep. Our room overlooked the front main driveway into the hotel and there was no noise at all to disturb us. We had drinks in the bar before dinner and again staff were friendly and professional. The a la carte food is amazing and locally sourced fresh produce being served with a vast selection of wines on the wine list. The service was exceptional with attention to every last detail from the friendly professional staff. We were also served complimentary champagne with our meal. There was a wedding reception in the hotel and considering the amount of guests in the hotel the service we received was not affected at all and we only heard a few cheers from the wedding party during the wedding speeches. The breakfast the following morning again was excellent with a vast choice on the buffet and a good selection also on the hot breakfast menu. The grounds of the hotel are excellent and is lovely to walk around especially the vast lake area. I was very impressed with Stoke Place and I look forward to our next stay. I would highly recommend an overnight stay and/or an intimate dinner in the restaurant.

1 Thank Lesley C
Laurence W, General Manager at Stoke Place, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for your extremely positive feedback regarding your stay at Stoke Place. Feedback such as this is essential in assisting us is improving and maintaining the product and service we aspire to offer.

Your detailed and overwhelmingly positive comments are very much appreciated, thank you for taking such obvious time to do so.

We will of course pass your kind comments on to all of the staff who I am sure will be delighted with such praise.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Stoke Place in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

We booked an Executive room package with 3 course meal & breakfast. Frankly the room was awful. Worse than most standard rooms. Narrow & positioned in the attic space, 3 floors up. The ceiling sloped sharply on 2 sides & the bed is under the slopes so you can't even sit up in bed & you easily knock your head. It rained in the night & the roof noise was deafening. There wasn't a shower, only a bath with hand held shower attachment & no shower screen/curtain. The water temperature varied so much from tepid to boiling hot we couldn't wash our hair. The saving grace was the food & service in the restaurant which was good. But, if you want coffee at breakfast other than filter you pay extra. We wanted a cappuccino but didnt bother in the end.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank OldMoose1
Laurence W, General Manager at Stoke Place, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for your feedback regarding your stay at Stoke Place. Feedback such as this is essential in assisting us is improving and maintaining the product and service we aspire to offer.

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with your accommodation, I am sure you can appreciate that in a listed building of this age one or two of our bedrooms can provide a challenge especially when compared to a modern counterpart, however the charm and the history of the property is so more unique than a standard chain hotel. Irregardless the issues you encountered are totally unacceptable and please rest assured we have dealt with these immediately.

I am delighted you enjoyed both the food and the service within the restaurant, we have some excellent people both front of house and within our kitchens and we appreciate that they are as important and as much a part of our product than anything else we offer at Stoke Place.

Bucks, England
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My boyfriend booked a 1 night package with champagne, 3 course dinner and B&B for my birthday in August. We stayed mid September on a Saturday night. We arrived mid afternoon and were checked in by a lovely receptionist. Unfortunately she had the incorrect information about our late check out (she was saying it was midday but we knew it was 2pm). The card which she gave us with the room number and key had the room number crossed out in pen and a different room number written. We wondered why this was. When arriving in our room it did look nice but nothing amazing really. Unfortunately we also found a nice wet puddle on the desk which we presumed was where the bottle of champagne had been. The receptionist went off and found out that our check out was indeed 2pm and that our champagne had been removed as it was melting. This is fair enough, but someone could have informed us of this upon arrival instead of us having to ask. Another lady brought the champagne up to our room. She placed it down on the desk without even wiping the puddle of water up. This seems a bit crazy for a 4 star hotel!
We visited a local pub down the road in the afternoon and took the bikes out at the front of the hotel, for a ride around the lake. This was lovely and the grounds are wonderful. We got ready for dinner and had an amazing meal. We could not fault the service or the food at all!!
I woke up during the night to find that there was a lot of light coming through the gap under our door as it seemed that the full lights out in the corridor were left on. Again, this might just be me being very picky but I would have thought these could have been turned down a bit so they didnt disturb guests sleep. I ended up putting some of the cushions against the door. We were also then woken up at 9.10am (were hoping for a nice lie in) by some sawing and hammering. We didnt expect this of course so were quite surprised. We were not told anything about this until we checked out and were informed that there had been a leak in one of the other bedrooms which needed to be fixed. This was fair enough but could someone not have slipped a little note under each of the rooms or knocked to let us know.
We went to breakfast which was very nice.
We did raise our concerns with the duty manager upon check out, who was very nice. I have however contacted them twice (via email) to just reiterate our disappointments for them to improve upon and I haven't heard back either time.

Overall, we did have a pleasant stay and dinner was superb but for the money I don't think we would stay again which is a shame, as I was very much looking forward to it!

1 Thank lizgreen210
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriend for one night on an amazon local deal. We stayed in Marlborough in the cottages part, the room was huge! Massive bed but the bathroom was the best part, humongous and was a wet room! I love wet rooms! Bed was very comfortable too. We had a 3 course a la carte meal included with our deal and I've got to say the food was fantastic. I love good food and this was excellent modern cuisine, nothing was fancy for the sake of it and the flavours were just excellent. The staff were all very friendly and professional. The grounds are beautiful as well a lovely lake and great to walk around and do some wildlife spotting. All in all an excellent place supported by a very high level of food and service.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Guy C

I must agree the beds are very comfy and this has a great deal to do to do with our Hypnos hand crafted mattresses, coupled with our lovely bed linens they do assist greatly for a good nights sleep.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Poges
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Stoke Place? Share your experiences!