“Nice hotel but could do better”
Review of Stoke Place

Stoke Place
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here in May 2012 for a friend's wedding. There were a number of things that should have made this hotel exceptional but we came away thinking that we had just paid a lot of money for a room which should have been so much better than it was.

Firstly the positives: beautiful hotel in lovely grounds, the wedding went smoothly and the bride and groom seemed to have a wonderful day. The room for the wedding was set up beautifully and tastefully. Rooms were fairly newly decorated in a modern style,

The negatives: for £202.50 for the cheapest room we expected so much more. The room overlooked a shed/roof and the bathroom was possibly the smallest bathroom I've ever been in and ours at home is small! This was even to the extent that when I got out of the shower, I burnt my bum on the heated radiator as there wasn't room to turn round (I am a UK size 10 so god help anyone bigger!). Perhaps if we had paid more this wouldn't have been an issue so it may teach us not to be cheapskates on the room! No tea/coffee provided in the room - you have to dial for it to be delivered. Safe was broken and when we rang to complain they didn't offer to look after our valuables but instead just blamed it on the previous guests. There was a children's party on the afternoon of the wedding. It didn't bother me as a guest but I think that as a bride I wouldn't have been too happy about the bouncy castle outside the bridal suite. Breakfast was carnage - no staff clearing up dirty plates, no replenishment of food. Husband complained about his cold and rubbery eggs. No table allocation at all - it was just a free for all at the buffet.

Overall, this hotel could be so much better than it was. The wedding went very smoothly and I have no doubt that the bride and groom were more than delighted with the day. But I probably wouldn't recommend the hotel for the above reasons.

Room Tip: Pay more and get a bigger bathroom!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We were taken to dinner at stoke place on Saturday. We all opted for the tasting menu with the accompanying wines. The food was superb. Service excellent. The restaurant manager also gave us a couple of additional wines to try. Having recently eaten at galvin at the windows this was a far superior experience. Only one niggle salted peanuts in the bar, really isn't right for this type of establishment. We will definitely return. Great venue for a business lunch as well which is great as slough doesn't have much to offer.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NickyPHughenden
Reviewed December 3, 2012

As a short break stay, Stoke Place was perfect. It's very accessible (I drove back into central London in well under an hour) and I would imagine it would be a great place stay just before or after a flight to/from Heathrow. Positives: the food was excellent; the cocktails even better (the Bramble and the English Garden were my favourites of the few I sampled), the ambience, the friendly but unobtrusive staff, and the price. I stayed in one of the rooms facing the chef's garden. While a little small they are well kitted out and at a shade over £100 including breakfast I thought very reasonable. Negatives - the grounds, while pleasant, are a bit oversold.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We recently stayed at Stokes Place for one night. After researching hotels in and around Windsor for a long time, I finally chose this one for its look of "stylish country retreat". It certainly looks impressive when you arrive, benefiting from pretty grounds. Areas like the lounge, bar and restaurant are beautifully decorated with a nice atmosphere.
We had booked an executive double, being shown to a room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the grounds. While the room is well equipped, it feels rather small, mainly due to its low ceilings (being under the roof). That feeling continues in the bathroom, where the ceiling is even lower due to a slightly raised floor. And that makes having a shower while standing upright simply impossible! If you fancy having a bath, it's fine, but otherwise this is quite a flaw. With some clever redesigning there would be space for a walk in shower, so I'm not sure why there isn't one...
All in all the room didn't live up to our expectations and feels overpriced for the premium rate you pay. Looking closely, there were lots small paint marks on the furniture and wallpaper, and the duvet cover was inside out. It's fine to have low ceilings, but then it shouldn't be advertised as "Larger, individually shaped rooms" and should be reflected in the rate.
Also, at 2:30 AM we got woken up by the noisy bathroom fan in the room next door. It literally felt like the fan was right above our bed! I'm aware this is a historic building with limits to what can be done, but surely soundproofing could be applied? Or a silent fan?
We had full afternoon tea, an evening meal and some drinks in the bar, as well as breakfast; all three were exceptional! The food was delicious and well presented, service was very friendly, attentive and high quality, especially in the bar area.
While food & service were great, our room unfortunately was a let down, hence the overall average rating.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Stoke Place for a wedding. The wedding itself was wonderful and the grounds were glorious. A cold, but stunning day, ideal for photos. We were just a little disappointed with the room (and I don't think we were alone). Even with a discount we still paid a good amount of money for the 1 night stay. We had high hopes and the room was a nice size with a comfortable bed. However there were loose tiles in the bathroom and no curtain or blind in the main room. We were therefore woken up as soon as the sun rose that morning! Neither of us look to find fault but did mention it when checking out. The people behind the desk apologised and passed on the message to maintenance. Despite this, we had a lovely stay. X

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I needed a reasonable priced place to stay for one night - Stoke Place offered a well priced winter business break with dinner and breakfast. It would be a great place for business or pleasure. I went for a walk around the extensive grounds when I arrived. Nothing was too much for the staff - they showed me around, escorted me to the dining room and were generally very pleasant and helpful. The food in the bar was of a very high standard and interesting.
Even though some of the rooms are close to the road (which is busy), the traffic noise was reduced by double glazing so I could sleep well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I found Stoke Place pleasant. The food was interesting, if a little pretentious. We were excited about having the use of bikes to cycle around the grounds but these weren't as impressive as I'd hoped. We were told by phone that there was a spa; however, this turned out to mean overpriced beauty treatments in the bedrooms. Overall though, it was a lovely weekend and a good idea if you want to treat yourself.

• Stayed: November 2012
#2 of 19 in Windsor
Pinewood Hotel
Pinewood Hotel
#13 of 21 in Slough

Been to Stoke Place? Share your experiences!