We stayed here in May 2012 for a friend's wedding. There were a number of things that should have made this hotel exceptional but we came away thinking that we had just paid a lot of money for a room which should have been so much better than it was.
Firstly the positives: beautiful hotel in lovely grounds, the wedding went smoothly and the bride and groom seemed to have a wonderful day. The room for the wedding was set up beautifully and tastefully. Rooms were fairly newly decorated in a modern style,
The negatives: for £202.50 for the cheapest room we expected so much more. The room overlooked a shed/roof and the bathroom was possibly the smallest bathroom I've ever been in and ours at home is small! This was even to the extent that when I got out of the shower, I burnt my bum on the heated radiator as there wasn't room to turn round (I am a UK size 10 so god help anyone bigger!). Perhaps if we had paid more this wouldn't have been an issue so it may teach us not to be cheapskates on the room! No tea/coffee provided in the room - you have to dial for it to be delivered. Safe was broken and when we rang to complain they didn't offer to look after our valuables but instead just blamed it on the previous guests. There was a children's party on the afternoon of the wedding. It didn't bother me as a guest but I think that as a bride I wouldn't have been too happy about the bouncy castle outside the bridal suite. Breakfast was carnage - no staff clearing up dirty plates, no replenishment of food. Husband complained about his cold and rubbery eggs. No table allocation at all - it was just a free for all at the buffet.
Overall, this hotel could be so much better than it was. The wedding went very smoothly and I have no doubt that the bride and groom were more than delighted with the day. But I probably wouldn't recommend the hotel for the above reasons.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Modern Country HouseStoke Place is a reinvention of the traditional country house - a home from home environment, ideal for celebrations and with the feel of an aristocratic-owned private house.With 39 bedrooms, 7 individually designed private rooms seating from 8 to 200 people, extensive gardens designed by the legendary Capability Brown and a gym and treatment room, Stoke Place offers conferences, weddings, quiet getaways and fantastic dining.Recently awarded 3 AA Rosettes for culinary excellence and a Notable wine list award. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your Stoke Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stoke Place Hotel Stoke Poges
- Stoke Place Poges
- Stoke Place Hotel Poges
- Stoke Place Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom