We recently stayed at Stokes Place for one night. After researching hotels in and around Windsor for a long time, I finally chose this one for its look of "stylish country retreat". It certainly looks impressive when you arrive, benefiting from pretty grounds. Areas like the lounge, bar and restaurant are beautifully decorated with a nice atmosphere.
We had booked an executive double, being shown to a room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the grounds. While the room is well equipped, it feels rather small, mainly due to its low ceilings (being under the roof). That feeling continues in the bathroom, where the ceiling is even lower due to a slightly raised floor. And that makes having a shower while standing upright simply impossible! If you fancy having a bath, it's fine, but otherwise this is quite a flaw. With some clever redesigning there would be space for a walk in shower, so I'm not sure why there isn't one...
All in all the room didn't live up to our expectations and feels overpriced for the premium rate you pay. Looking closely, there were lots small paint marks on the furniture and wallpaper, and the duvet cover was inside out. It's fine to have low ceilings, but then it shouldn't be advertised as "Larger, individually shaped rooms" and should be reflected in the rate.
Also, at 2:30 AM we got woken up by the noisy bathroom fan in the room next door. It literally felt like the fan was right above our bed! I'm aware this is a historic building with limits to what can be done, but surely soundproofing could be applied? Or a silent fan?
We had full afternoon tea, an evening meal and some drinks in the bar, as well as breakfast; all three were exceptional! The food was delicious and well presented, service was very friendly, attentive and high quality, especially in the bar area.
While food & service were great, our room unfortunately was a let down, hence the overall average rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Modern Country HouseStoke Place is a reinvention of the traditional country house - a home from home environment, ideal for celebrations and with the feel of an aristocratic-owned private house.With 39 bedrooms, 7 individually designed private rooms seating from 8 to 200 people, extensive gardens designed by the legendary Capability Brown and a gym and treatment room, Stoke Place offers conferences, weddings, quiet getaways and fantastic dining.Recently awarded 3 AA Rosettes for culinary excellence and a Notable wine list award. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Preferred Hotels, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Stoke Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stoke Place Hotel Stoke Poges
- Stoke Place Poges
- Stoke Place Hotel Poges
- Stoke Place Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom