“Great service and food, but room not up to standard.”
Review of Stoke Place

Stoke Place
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
England
“Great service and food, but room not up to standard.”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We recently stayed at Stokes Place for one night. After researching hotels in and around Windsor for a long time, I finally chose this one for its look of "stylish country retreat". It certainly looks impressive when you arrive, benefiting from pretty grounds. Areas like the lounge, bar and restaurant are beautifully decorated with a nice atmosphere.
We had booked an executive double, being shown to a room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the grounds. While the room is well equipped, it feels rather small, mainly due to its low ceilings (being under the roof). That feeling continues in the bathroom, where the ceiling is even lower due to a slightly raised floor. And that makes having a shower while standing upright simply impossible! If you fancy having a bath, it's fine, but otherwise this is quite a flaw. With some clever redesigning there would be space for a walk in shower, so I'm not sure why there isn't one...
All in all the room didn't live up to our expectations and feels overpriced for the premium rate you pay. Looking closely, there were lots small paint marks on the furniture and wallpaper, and the duvet cover was inside out. It's fine to have low ceilings, but then it shouldn't be advertised as "Larger, individually shaped rooms" and should be reflected in the rate.
Also, at 2:30 AM we got woken up by the noisy bathroom fan in the room next door. It literally felt like the fan was right above our bed! I'm aware this is a historic building with limits to what can be done, but surely soundproofing could be applied? Or a silent fan?
We had full afternoon tea, an evening meal and some drinks in the bar, as well as breakfast; all three were exceptional! The food was delicious and well presented, service was very friendly, attentive and high quality, especially in the bar area.
While food & service were great, our room unfortunately was a let down, hence the overall average rating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Stoke Place for a wedding. The wedding itself was wonderful and the grounds were glorious. A cold, but stunning day, ideal for photos. We were just a little disappointed with the room (and I don't think we were alone). Even with a discount we still paid a good amount of money for the 1 night stay. We had high hopes and the room was a nice size with a comfortable bed. However there were loose tiles in the bathroom and no curtain or blind in the main room. We were therefore woken up as soon as the sun rose that morning! Neither of us look to find fault but did mention it when checking out. The people behind the desk apologised and passed on the message to maintenance. Despite this, we had a lovely stay. X

• Stayed October 2012
West Sussex
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I needed a reasonable priced place to stay for one night - Stoke Place offered a well priced winter business break with dinner and breakfast. It would be a great place for business or pleasure. I went for a walk around the extensive grounds when I arrived. Nothing was too much for the staff - they showed me around, escorted me to the dining room and were generally very pleasant and helpful. The food in the bar was of a very high standard and interesting.
Even though some of the rooms are close to the road (which is busy), the traffic noise was reduced by double glazing so I could sleep well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I found Stoke Place pleasant. The food was interesting, if a little pretentious. We were excited about having the use of bikes to cycle around the grounds but these weren't as impressive as I'd hoped. We were told by phone that there was a spa; however, this turned out to mean overpriced beauty treatments in the bedrooms. Overall though, it was a lovely weekend and a good idea if you want to treat yourself.

• Stayed November 2012
cotswolds
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We have stayed at Stoke Place quite a bit through the summer and autumn due to business commitments and we haven't been disappointed.
Stoke Place is situated probably only about 2 miles outside central slough but you could make-believe you are in the middle of nowhere! The house stands in walled grounds, with capability brown gardens and a large lake - very relaxing to look out over, or you can walk around, have a look at the llama's or take one of the house bikes for a quick trip.
The rooms are very nice - lots of polished wood and clean bathrooms, normally with dual sinks and walk-in showers and some have roll-top baths.
I've not stayed in a standard room, but we've stayed in deluxe in the house, deluxe and standard in the garden block and the bridal suite - all are very nice indeed.
Most outstanding though is the personal service - Mark, the assistant manager is super, and so are the restaurant staff. We will be back again soon.
If you're comparing in the area, this is much nicer than grovefield park, which is nearby and roughly about the same price.
I'm sorry to say I haven't used the spa, which is a bit of a failing on my part as I should have made the effort, but I can't imagine it would be anything other than relaxing and very nice

Room Tip: I love room 3, the bridal suite is great, the garden rooms are nice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bollingerbetty
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 2, 2012

A slightly different way to go about dinner, the tasting menu offers the indecisive and great way to try nine dishes from the creative chef and his team at Stoke Place. Though this was fine dinning and I mean serieously 'refined' fine dinning - for the specialist foodies out there you'll love it.
We stayed over night and I enjoyed the breakfast even more - eggs benedict - yummy!
The room was lovely with a beautiful view of the grounds to the rear of the property (I would ask for this in particular).
The hotel is quirky and the decor eclectic but all very comfortable.
All in all, a good venue for an overnight special evening away from home.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks over the grounds to the rear of the property - a suit if you can budget fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was the first time I have been to the Garden room restuarant

I was totally surprised at the quality of the food and the service. All the dishes were beautifully presented. The delicacy and combinations of the flavours were, we agreed, the best that we have ever had. The consommé was out of this world.
The attention to detail and the level and friendliness of the service was first class.

I will certainly recommend your restaurant to my friends and business acquaintances.

The room was ok but needed refreshing and more attention to wardrobe space

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Stoke Place? Share your experiences!