“Enjoyable stay”
Review of The Bull Hotel

The Bull Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gerrards Cross
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Booked last minute through Secret Escapes and enjoyed a great price in an Executive room. We arrived early and were able to check in straight away by friendly and efficient staff. Our room was extremely clean and had two chairs, sofa and a desk, so ideal if you were there on business. Had a mid afternoon drink in the bar, quite expensive, small bottle of Strongbow and a glass of wine £12.00, however given the location, would have expected to pay over the odds. The location of the Bull Hotel is very good, opposite the village green and duck pond and is only 10 minutes to walk to the centre of Gerrards Cross. The breakfast, as previously reported on Tripadvisor was average however the food was regularly replenished. Overall, a very nice, traditional, hotel and would definately stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jill S
Sarovahotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Jill S,

It is lovely to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us at The Bull Hotel.
I hope we see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a business trip.
The hotel has bags of character and great staff. The front bar has a warm cozyatmoshere and great to chill and chat.
The room was excellent, extremely clean and well furnished. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were rather strange and overly hard, possibly a low quality memory foam?
The english breakfast was excellent, everything you could want for breakfast was available. The only criticism I have would be pick your time, as it's buffet style and most of the items were only warm.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Sarovahotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Tal B,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am glad to hear that you found the room excellent and the atmosphere cosy.
We have just made further changes to the original Jack Shrimpton Bar and added more traditional pub like features including local ales and new menu.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the pillows which we will monitor. We will also investigate your comments regarding temperature of the breakfast.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Even though I arrived extremely early from the airport (9:30) I was very impressed that my room was ready and I was able to book in. I had a superior room - it was clean but someone had left a pair of socks in the wardrobe?! The only thing was that there was no bedside light so I had to use the main switch. The water pressure in the shower wasn't great but there was plenty of hot water. The breakfast was good and the staff were all very efficient, friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Fiona C,

Thank you for your recent review and thank you for your observations.
I can confirm that we have now replaced the bedside light.

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Booked a Saturday night in one of the hotel's superior rooms which contained a 4 poster bed (as far as I can see this was the only difference between superior and standard). The price was discounted at £100 including breakfast for a double occupancy (more about the price later). We arrived at around 6:30 and were checked in efficiently. Our room was on the first floor which are serviced by lift and stairs. On entering our room we had to do a sharp left up a couple of stairs to the bedroom, the bathroom was directly in front of the entrance door. The bedroom was fairly small, the 4 poster positioned more or less in the middle of the room across its width leaving maybe 2 feet between the bottom of the bed and the wall to pass by to the window and (rather cramped) seating area. Furniture nice wood items, wardrobe, desk, table with 2 small armchairs, fridge (no minibar) and safe. The wardrobe had an iron and ironing board in it. Mattress very firm which was good but the bed was only a normal double bed. The Tv had freeview channels and a complicated system with a small keyboard to allow you to log on to view pay channels and the Internet.
The view from the window was limited to a few roofs - not very inspiring! The normal tariff for the room was, I think, more than £135, our rate of £100 included a premium of £10 for the 4 poster. The downside of the room was a pretty threadbare carpet and such a noisy aircon unit that we had to turn it off. The bathroom was a good size, clean and with complimentary toiletries. There was obviously a function on at the hotel as the (very loud and thumping - you know what I mean) music went on until well past midnight (the last time I looked at my watch was 00:45am).
In the morning breakfast was good without being exceptional, normal pastries, fruit, juices, bread and full English. Service good.
Checkout handled efficiently and when the desk clerk asked me if there was anything else they could have done to make our stay more pleasant I mentioned the noisy AC unit, he obviously wasn't listening to me as he asked me the same question about 60 seconds later - all part of the patter I suppose but clearly without sincerity.
All in all an ok stay, nothing special, probably just about worth the £100 but I wouldn't have paid the full tariff.
A bit more work to be done to meet the hotel's view of itself and, if the hotel has a function every Saturday, then take your earplugs or book a different day!
I notice the general manager responds to the positive or mildly critical reviews of his hotel on tripadvisor but ignores those who have experienced more significant issues (and there seem to have been a few!!) my issues were fairly small and I may have expected them in a hotel with a lower tariff but when you are marketing yourself as an up market venue these details matter! I await his response!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Sarovahotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear MaxLondon2,

Thank you for your recent review. It does appear that you have not received my email yesterday. Although you have kindly marked most of the areas as ‘good’, I did want to personally address the ‘fair’ mark and apologise for the inconveniences caused during your visit.

I have been to room 150 with my Head Housekeeper and we do both agree that the noise from the air conditioning unit is too loud. We have already instructed our air conditioning contractors to come and service the equipment. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I was also sorry to learn that the music affected your visit. We do not usually have feedback from this room, so I will speak with the event managers to ensure that the DJ’s are kept to an acceptable noise level in the future.

Please do let me know when you are thinking of visiting again and I will ensure that we not only upgrade your accommodation, but that you are well away from any events in the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have stayed at The Bull a few times due to it's proximity to my Company's UK office. I have always enjoyed the hospitality, comfortable rooms and the old 'country inn' look and feel. Once you get used to the winding corridors (as it is a remodified coaching stop from a long while back) you will enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and professional service. A 10 minute walk through open grounds will get you to the Gerard's Cross town where there are a couple of nice restauarants and the train station to London Marylebourne. I usually book the room on their website and have never had an issue to date. I love going back to The Bull.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Raven2012,

It was lovely to read that you always enjoy our hospitality and find the rooms comfortable.
We look forward to having you visit again soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Having been let down by a nearby hotel, The Bull Hotel saved the day. The staff were all excellent and went out of their way to help us. The food was delicious and very well priced. The grounds are beautiful and the building is in top notch condition. Would definitely recommend this hotel to everybody and anybody!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Angiefjorde,

Thank you so much for your review and I am glad we were able to assist at short notice.
I know the team will be very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Were supposed to have our wedding at The Bull in January 2013, but will never return! We had the distressing situation of pulling out, only 3 weeks before our wedding day, as we had STILL not received a final invoice or met the events manager with our Events Team. The disorganisation of the staff behind the wedding was the main reason we pulled out, as the facilities and hotel itself are in pretty good shape. What we found most distressing, was that we lost our deposit, after being promised they would return it, and contacted our new venue to try and put them off having us. Thankfully our new venue managed to pull an AMAZING wedding off for us, and completed in 3 weeks, what The Bull hadn’t managed to achieve in 4 months.
The mainwarning I would gie to anyone considering a wedding here, is not to be fooled by the glossy brochure. Yes the rooms are beautiful, but the wedding planning team and the events team is a shambles! We found ourselves chasing them to pay our final bill, and were calling them constantly to check whether they had sourced the caterer and flowers etc. Staff promise the world to secure their contract (they have a great sales team) but don't deliver the goods - Consequently, we lost about a month's sleep worrying about everything for our wedding - events team had a change of management and didn't return calls or emails, with less than a month until our big day we still had not had our final meeting or paid, were overcharged for menu tasting (which we were told was complimentary), and the third party flowers supplier (Seventh Heaven) were a nightmare! Many many emails went unanswered and phone calls never returned when we tried to pay. We had to change venue at the last minute due to the terrible organisation, and the manager, Cliff Hassler seemed indifferent to the whole fiasco. Thankfully we managed to find another venue just in time. One piece of advice..NEVER book your wedding at The Bull! Possibly the most frustrating, stressful and disappointing month of our lives!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Stoke Place
Stoke Place
#2 of 2 in Stoke Poges

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!