“A little disappointed-”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Buckingham
Rotherham
“A little disappointed-”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is my second time of staying here after thoroughly enjoying my previous stay. My disappointment this time was the poor attention and repair of electrical appliances.
Firstly the fridge was not working, when reported to the reception I was informed, 'I do not think that fridge is working'- so why were we put in this room? Then the thermostat on the iron was faulty and I burnt a hole in my dress- horror! Not just any dress but my favourite evening black number( ladies will feel my pain on this ) I took the iron out of the room to ensure no one kiss would have the problem I had just experienced, took it to reception where I handed it in. Received an 'oh no, but no apology or expression of concern .
The dining and bar staff are first class , the food very good but I did feel concerned about the maintenance programme of the hotel in particular as previously stated around the appliances.

1 Thank gert47

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a 2 night break on a special deal. We were directed to our room which was of a very good size and it was clean and tidy. A couple of light bulbs didn't work but that was not a problem to us. Our evening meals were included in the price and on the first night ate from the Market menu. I have an intolerance to milk products and made sure that what I ate was going to be ok for me but unfortunately I was unwell the next morning but put it down to a blip. Only managed to eat a bacon sarnie for breakfast which was a shame as there was a good choice of cooked breakfasts.That evening we ate from the A la Carte menu and I was having difficulty choosing my courses. We were served by a different waitress this time and she extremely attentive pointing out that I could eat from the Market menu again but not to have so and so starter (which was the item I'd chosen the previous evening!!!) Oops!!
Breakfast the next morning for me was smoked haddock with 2 generous portions but alas a hard boiled egg!
My bill was ready for me early on the morning we left which was what I had asked for the previous night and we had a late check out time of 11am, which was perfect for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Phyl D
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful weekend at this hotel, an old coaching inn with some modernisation. The food was of a very good standard, and we started our short break with a most delightful lunch. Our experience of sampling the food and drinks included the lunchtime and dinner menus, breakfast on two mornings and the room service with food and drink on two occasions. Our room was very comfortable. We found the staff very friendly, helpful and attentive throughout our stay. Access for those with mobility restrictions are quite well provided for, although there is room for improvement, for example, entry to the accommodation across the courtyard has a ramp to the thresh-hold but a significant drop the other side as no 'downward' ramp is provided. Not sure if the menu changes very often as this was our first visit to The Villiers Hotel but the same menu for lunch / dinner would not attract us to a stay exceeding 2 days / nights. Many attractions in the area would ensure a return visit to this hotel. Our first impressions of a good venue remained throughout our stay.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was an ideal meeting place for six friends from different parts of the country. The set Sunday lunch was delicious and service excellent. The choice was varied and value for money. Although h none of us stayed overnight, the location is ideal for exploring a beautiful part of England, with Stowe Landscape Gardens 10 minutes drive away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MrsRBuckinhamshire, General Manager at Villiers Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for visiting us for Sunday Lunch and to read that you and your friends had an enjoyable time. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding down the road.
On arrival the receptionist was rude and didn't give us any information not even our room number or what way to go to our room and if you don't know where your going good luck finding it.
We paid £150 B&B for 1 night I can now officially say it is not worth that much, we would have received better treatment and a Premier Inn. The rooms are a good size but are not nice the view out of the window was of cars that enjoyed moving early in the morning. The carpets where disgusting and didn't even reach the door so had to be careful when leaving room. We went to the bar when we arrived back were the bar man was rude and kept muttering under is breath. When we wen o check out and our bill was not what we was expecting we realised that the rude bar man had been putting everything to our room with out our permission. The staff are so unfriendly. I asked for some hrs to be brought up to the room I'm still waiting they never arrived. Breakfast was us disgusting 1 sausage 1 small egg 1 slice of bacon and a small amount of beans and mushrooms and the toast was burnt an crumbed when you touched it. Over all I would never be going back here the service was terrible food disgusting ad rooms dirty.
I would love for a manger to contact me. If it wasn't for a family occasion I would ave checked out the night before an stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near reception or you will be walking for what feels like miles.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Harrie-jeanpower
Following this review I have tried to contact you, to discuss your stay but to no avail. The drinks bill you make reference to, you had signed for all the drinks that had been tranferred to your room account. Other points you make are your subjective view; we have received compliments from other members of your party. Please contact me if you wish to discuss this matter further.
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed for a 2 night break, dinner bed & breakfast,a Travelzoo deal. Superb hotel, very welcoming, helpfult service. The 3 course dinner was well above average hotel quality. Charming, Jacobean surroundings. Spacious relaxing lounge area. Our bedroom was spacious, well equipped, comfortable. Only small niggle, room was on the warm side. Would definitely stay again. Buckingham is an attractive small town which is clearly overlooked by tourists. All the better for it !

1 Thank Roy7945
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. So pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us and found the time to explore our little market town.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Wife and I stayed 3-4th August 2013 in Room 116. Reception area nice and receptionist helpful. Carpets on route to room very dirty and threadbare on some of the stairs. First impression of room was very nice but we quickly noted stringy black cobweb hanging from one downlighter, tear in net curtain, bulb not working in bathroom, toilet bowl not very clean around rim and a lot of lime scale on basin tap. One curtain pull was also found broken. Only 2 ordinary and 2 decaf coffees and I pack of biscuits for 2 people. Breakfast was good and freshly cooked, Breakfast staff were pleasant. Did not use bar or restaurant. Could be very nice with a little attention to detail.

2 Thank Dale H
MrsRBuckinhamshire, General Manager at Villiers Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your comments, the hotel refurbishment programme is progressing to include the corridors too. Thank you for bringing matters to my attention about the issues you have found within the guest room which I have addressed and offer my sincere apologies. Pleased to read that you had enjoyed breakfast and our hospitality during your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckingham
The White Hart
#1 of 1 in Deddington
De Vere Horwood Estate
De Vere Horwood Estate
#1 of 1 in Little Horwood

Been to Villiers Hotel? Share your experiences!