“Birthday Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Buckingham
UK
“Birthday Weekend”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had a wonderful weekend at this excellent hotel as part of a double birthday celebration. We were made so welcome by ALL the staff, who made our stay feel very special. The food in the restaurant was outstanding, both at breakfast and dinner. All the staff seemed to work together as a team - a tribute to good management! We shall be back to enjoy one of their special breaks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank vouk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Villiers Hotel while meeting friends in Buckingham. Large, comfortable, clean and quiet room. Enjoyed the good atmosphere in the friendly bar. Also welcomed by the friendly, professional staff throughout our stay. Good breakfast too! We'll be back. Thanks

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
hants
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of a deal to visit Bletchley Park.. We were warmly greeted at reception, booked our evening meals and went to our room. This was a Premier double on the first floor and very well appointed. Lots of electrical outlets, excellent wardrobes with interior lights, beverage facilities, large illuminated desk and mirror, and, above all, a feeling of space. A wall mounted TV could be comfortably watched from the two lounge chairs. There is also free wi-fi - yippee!
On the downside the energy saving lightbulbs needed to be twice the wattage and the ceiling lighting was halogen downlighters which gave 'patches' of illumination - move your newspaper one foot to the right or left and reading proved difficult. The heating system was very efficient but it took a long time to feel the effect of trying to reduce the temperature.
The restaurant was very well laid out with an a la carte or fixed price menu - a better grade of ice cream would help.. Service was very good. Breakfast service was equally good with the test of a lightly poached egg being passed with ease.
The courtyard car park provided narrow covered spaces and exits onto a very narrow road where traffic has to stop at a pinch point just at the exit. Large SUVs would require nerves of steel and a driver with 20.20 vision.

We were made to feel very welcome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jimholder
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I booked a surprise weekend for my husbands special birthday and it was my birthday the following day. The Villiers Hotel was great and the service was excellent. We were given chocolates and champagne for our birthdays which was a very nice surprise. We enjoyed the whole experience including the excellent food. We will definitely go back. My only criticism is the cheap toilet rolls. Please Villiers buy better quality loo rolls before we come back. Well done The Villiers Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jackie R
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stopping over in Buckingham, to exchange Christmas gifts with family and friends, we made the decision to spend two nights at Villiers Hotel. We were rewarded with a lovely, large room with good facilities.
The food at the hotel is, without doubt, the jewel in the crown of this comfortable establishment. The staff were friendly and helpful and Buckingham has a number of interesting places to visit.
On our second day, we were entertained during lunch, by a visit from Father Christmas and our bodies were adorned, free of charge, with pretty face paintings. Once again the food was fantastic. This was definiately a family event, when the young children who were present, were able to enjoy all the magic of Christmas.
Thank you Villiers, you made our Christmas.

Room Tip: The rooms in the older part of the hotel, are large and comfortable
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I attended an event at the Villiers recently. I was dressed for the occasion and wanted to stay warm and dry so I tried to park as close as possible. Unfortunately, the car park under the coaching arch was full so I was told to go into the big car park at the back. I found it easily and the barrier rose automatically for me to get in and park. I got to the hotel wet and flustered but grateful to be in the warm.

However, when I came to leave afterwards... I got my car to the barrier and it didn't raise. Eventually I saw a key pad on the wall - not easy as it was in darkness and it was chucking it down. I hadn't been warned that I needed a number to get out so I didn't know what to punch in - so I rang the button at the bottom for help. No one answered for at least ten minutes and I was getting soaked. So I reversed the car and re parked it, and went back to reception.

While I stood there dripping on their carpet a large man asked if I had everything I wanted. I replied no, I hadn't been warned I needed a code for the gate and I had been ringing for help for ages, getting soaked in the process. He said the buzzer was broken. So I said great, and please can I get my car out of the car park? He rudely asked me if I was a resident. I said no I had been to the event. So he said I needed a code to get out. I said I now knew that and please could I have it? He said yes it's **** - I said could he write it down for me and also give me a light so I knew which button was which on the keypad as it was in darkness. He replied the light must have broken..... With bad grace he it wrote it down for me and told me which way up the numbers were and I then walked back to the car park again. No offer of help, no apology for the upset or the unecessary soaking, nothing. But for that it would have been a different review.

But in the end I got out and I won't be going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank MayerlingMignon
MrsRBuckinhamshire, General Manager at Villiers Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for your Review and for highlighting the problems that you had trying to exit our car park recently. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the angst and any upset that was caused to you on this occasion.
Ightham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed between boxing day and the new year and had a lovely break at Villiers, nice premier room, good food and helpful staff. Free tickets inc. for Bletchley park where we had a brilliant day out . Buckingham a delightful interesting village to stay in, cannot wait to go back for another break with hotel, had good rates and extras that we didnt expect.

Room Tip: Book a premier room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckingham
The White Hart
#3 of 35 in Milton Keynes
The Bell Hotel
The Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Winslow

Been to Villiers Hotel? Share your experiences!