“Let down”

Loch Fyne - Beaconsfield
Ranked #44 of 61 Restaurants in Beaconsfield
Cuisines: Seafood, European, British, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Let down”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

As I was taken there by my sister and her husband as a celebratory treat I was greatly looking forward to this meal out. Sadly this was not to be the case. The staff were attentive and very pleasant but the food fell way short of the mark. Whilst my sister was pleased with her main of fish and chips and was delighted with the batter in particular that was the high spot of the evenings dining experience.

From my own experience my starter of peppered potted mackerel was also reasonable, served in a miniature preserving jar, it was tasty yet lacking in any way the peppered element, the clarified butter on the top was greasy and unappetising. My main of seared scallops and black pudding on a minted pea purée was a mixture of heaven and hell. The four scallops were done to perfection, showing a light browning on the surface yet soft and succulent within. However that's where heaven ended.

Meanwhile outside of the pearly gates there was the fact that the meal was server up on cold, uninviting black rectangular plates.

The black pudding had a peculiar stale, close to an off smell about it, verified by my sis who advised me to leave it, which I did.

As for the minted pea purée, read mushy peas mashed down a bit more, enough said. The chargrilled baby leeks served with this were tough and stringy to the point of being difficult to cut let alone eat, sadly not a great meal.

For desert I went for a "traditional" Scottish dish, the name of which escapes me, however it consisted of masses of thick cream, toasted oats with scotch. The oats showed little evidence of being toasted, rather being a sprinkling of Quaker Oats fresh from the packet, no nutty flavour at all. There was a hint of the highland nectar but not sufficient to be remarked upon.

Overall a sad experience as I had been looking forward to a memorable evening out, however, not to be.

London, United Kingdom
“Struggling Restaurant”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Didn't believe the negative reviews. I should have. Made to wait 40mins for booked table service poor, food ok but small portions. parking impossible

• Visited January 2013
Sherfield on Loddon
“Superb fish & double cooked chips”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went here recently for the first time. The food was fantastic!! It was just after Xmas so a little quiet but I can imagine when full the atmosphere is great. Definitely recommend for the food.

• Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Scrumptious”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very good fish restaurant, the platter of seafood is exceptional. Also cater for meat eaters. Good service and parking quite easy at the front.

Shipston on Stour, United Kingdom
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We met some friends there for Sunday lunch (a convenient mid point). There is no branch near where we live but had eaten here well in the past and also at three other branches recently. There was no atmosphere - Sunday lunch and pretty close to empty. A couple of months ago we were in the Oxford branch which was also very empty but was buzzing thanks to the more proactive staff.The waitress came promptly, took the drinks order and chatted enthusiastically about the specials board. I had the cod and chips. The batter looked overdone and was rubbery when I cut into it. There was not a lot of fish but what there was was good and hot.The chips were as good as always but definitely on the cool side. There was a skin forming on the mushy peas and tartare sauce which suggested too long under a lamp - a suspicion not allayed as the people at the next table were served before us despite having ordered later. My wife's hake was judged "OK". When the waiter came to clear the table, he was already carrying plates from another table which, in my book, is far from good. He returned shortly and thrust pudding menus under our noses without waiting for a pause in the conversation or bothering to find out if we even wanted them. We settled for coffee. The food was on the cusp of warranting a complaint and would probably have got at least a comment had my wife and I been on our own.

Why do they use those silly small black rectangular plates?

Sadly, we shall give Loch Fyne a miss for a while.

• Visited January 2013