“Scrumptious”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very good fish restaurant, the platter of seafood is exceptional. Also cater for meat eaters. Good service and parking quite easy at the front.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We met some friends there for Sunday lunch (a convenient mid point). There is no branch near where we live but had eaten here well in the past and also at three other branches recently. There was no atmosphere - Sunday lunch and pretty close to empty. A couple of months ago we were in the Oxford branch which was also very empty but was buzzing thanks to the more proactive staff.The waitress came promptly, took the drinks order and chatted enthusiastically about the specials board. I had the cod and chips. The batter looked overdone and was rubbery when I cut into it. There was not a lot of fish but what there was was good and hot.The chips were as good as always but definitely on the cool side. There was a skin forming on the mushy peas and tartare sauce which suggested too long under a lamp - a suspicion not allayed as the people at the next table were served before us despite having ordered later. My wife's hake was judged "OK". When the waiter came to clear the table, he was already carrying plates from another table which, in my book, is far from good. He returned shortly and thrust pudding menus under our noses without waiting for a pause in the conversation or bothering to find out if we even wanted them. We settled for coffee. The food was on the cusp of warranting a complaint and would probably have got at least a comment had my wife and I been on our own.

Why do they use those silly small black rectangular plates?

Sadly, we shall give Loch Fyne a miss for a while.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

All I can say is if you are in the area for dinner or lunch (I think they open for lunch) make a detour to enjoy the excellent food and friendly service that you will find here.

Well done to all of the staff.

Only one tiny negative, car parking is hard at times but this is not the restaurants fault its just the geography of the town.

Thanks for a lovely dinner

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Welcome not excactly warm when a family of 4 had not booked, hoping to catch a quick early supper at 6pm, hardly prime time. Service initially reasonably prompt then deteriorated after 7pm as it filled up. Fish and chips very good, light tasty batter, bream also very good and chips excellent, as was sticky toffee pudding for the kids. But entree portions rather on the mean side and wine list needs work, with an oddly small offering in dry whites for a fish restauant. Tables too small. Some staff need training on the essence of warm and welcoming service, notably the non native english speakers who were rushing around, possibly new hires?

Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

A party of 7 of us ate here just before Christmas. Didn't start well when we had to wait 20m for our table even though the restaurant was half empty and there were no staff at all at either the bar or at the restaurant entrance for quite a while. Service improved when we sat down though. Food-wise, all the fish eaters were impressed, but as a non-fish person, I was disappointed with my over-cooked burger in a dry bun. Purely average.