“Disappointing ”

The Royal Standard of England
Ranked #12 of 73 Restaurants in Beaconsfield
Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The multi award winning Royal Standard of England is a real British pub situated in Forty Green. Steeped in history and 'olde worlde' charm, it dates back over 900 years and is The Oldest Freehouse in England.Serving delicious home-cooked food, local beers and home-brewed ales. The Royal Standard of England offers everything that youwant from a quintessential country pub.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have been here a lot over the years and it has sadly really gone down hill in terms of the food. The portions are quite big but the food is pretty bland and basic. Service was quite good although slow and some of the drinks were missed.

3  Thank 14jedn
Write a reviewReviews (1,317)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Booked for my wife's birthday, arrived and eventually led to table,25minutes later we found our own menus, told waitress we were ready to order, went to get pen but must have got lost in the place as never came back. Finally a waiter came we aced our order after loaning him a pen, starters arrived prior to our drinks, main course soon followed however my steak overdone, my wife's lll am good but poo veteran with cabbage.
Could not face a dessert and left paying Bill but definitely no tip.
They were woeful, staff were abysmal, need better training,.

3  Thank Gabriel A
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Reserved a table for my wife's birthday as my son was coming home for the weekend when we arrived it was clear the pub was full and and the staff were saying to everyone how they were short staffed. It took nearly twenty minutes just to tell someone I had booked a table and when they took us to our reserved table someone had decided to completely ignore the reserved sign and sit there anyway, rather than tell them the table was reserved the staff member just walked off and left us standing in the middle of the pub. I had to go back to the bar and ask her if she was going to give us a table and another waitress finally showed us to a table and left without saying anything. After sitting their for twenty minutes I had to go to the bar to ask someone to take a drinks order, when I returned to the table my wife said that another diner had been waiting two hours for their food so we left. I'm in no doubt they were short staffed but just leaving people standing in the middle of the pub and ignoring the situation isn't helpful.I'm not sure why there weren't enough staff but it was obvious they were all overworked and stressed and any decent employer wouldn't have allowed this to happen I'm sure the owners feel they have built up sufficient reputation and don't need to worry about the odd disgruntled customer but no doubt Jamie Oliver felt the same at his peak. We ended up at the Hit or Miss in Penn Street where the food is fantastic and the staff make you feel welcome.

3  Thank BTINTERNET777
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I came here with a walking group and was amazed at the place and its atmoshere. We were well looked after but the choice of beer and the food was exceptional. I had the ploughman's lunch which can vary greatly but here was excellent.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Well if only we had read these reviews before going to the Standard for Sunday lunch, we would never have gone. A family of 13 taken out for a special occasion.
A special occasion turned into a very very long meal, eating roast meals which can only be described as worse than a motorway service station.
Because of the number, the pub asked us to order our food 5 days in advance. Which we did and we thought this would help in the service, unfortunately this wasn’t the case, over 90 minutes waiting for our mains food, they also brought the wrong food out, as stated before the food was not nice.
My dad took his plate of lamb roast to the manager as he couldn’t cut it or chew it. I too had the lamb roast and I was trying not to complain as it was my dads special treat for us all. However, I couldn’t take any more, i called the manager over and told him that the lamb was not edible as it was so tough with hard fat surrounding each bit of meat plus I had found a little bone too. The roast potatoes were hard as rocks (which was true for everyone who was having a roast).
The manager response was: that’s the cut of the lamb today and he couldn’t disagree with my view of the potatoes but that’s how the owner likes them cooked. He also said no point in them bringing out a new plate of food as thats how it is for everyone.
What sort of cut of roast lamb, comes with a bone and surrounded by hard fat. So nice they cook the potatoes to the owners taste, who cares about the customers.
Whilst waiting 90 minutes for our mains, I did try to find someone so I could get a another round of drinks, to be told he was too busy and we would have to wait. Nice touch! No food or drinks!
I could go on and on but the bottom line is we will never be going back again. Used to be a great place to eat food in a lovely setting, but this experience has put us all off forever.
I will say after a debate, the manager gave us a reduced bill however this doesn’t make up for 4 hours we spent, majority of of which we were waiting for substandard food.
Avoid.