“Lovely meal”

The Artichoke Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Artichoke Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 72 Restaurants in Amersham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Underground: Amersham, Rail: Chiltern Railways Main Line
Description: An award winning dining destination in the centre of beautiful old Amersham, the Artichoke restaurant has been tipped for the top by critics, chefs (including Raymond Blanc) and, rather impressively, the Michelin Guide 2011. The traditional setting of Artichoke has been given new life with a slick contemporary country makeover in which comfort and style sit side by side, colours are muted and soothing and the beautiful features of the building are allowed to shine through, a part of the carefully considered d��cor. Chef and owner Laurie Gear oversees a refined modern European menu filled with charming additions including not only seasonal ingredients but foraged herbs, berries and flowers too and he and his team can be spotted hard at work in the open kitchen from the Kitchen Dining Room. Other spaces here at Artichoke include the glorious Garden Dining Room, opening out on to the bespoke herb wall and the Wine Room up on the first floor, leading in to the well stocked cellar and just right for sophisticated business dining. The perfect neighbourhood restaurant, Artichoke has certainly put Amersham on the map.
Reviewed January 15, 2014

It was my mother's birthday yesterday evening and we visited The Artichoke for dinner to celebrate. V. Good first impressions - friendly and professional staff and lovely decor. We decided to go for the tasting menu & for the wine flight option too - a different wine selected to compliment each course - each course was explained to us as it was presented & we were given a thorough description of each wine which I enjoyed.

On the whole the dishes were creative, very tasty and beautifully presented. We started with a pancetta bread which was absolutely delicious! The only courses I felt less sure about was the fish course which was prepared in an Asian style which I felt was slightly out of kilter with the rest of the menu as someone previously mentioned on here although I did enjoy it nonetheless. I also wasn't as impressed with the goats milk mousse as I was with the other dishes - I liked the originality of the pallet cleanser with the beetroot sorbet but on the whole it didn't quite come together for me but this is a personal preference as both my parents seemed to enjoy it.

I have marked it down slightly as it is very expensive so it's not the best value & also because I felt the courses were a little bit rushed - slightly more time between them would have been better - particularly as the wine changed with every course. However, on the whole I felt that it was a very pleasant dining experience & would certainly recommend a visit!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Best food by far in South Bucks, possibly further afield. Exceptional preparation, attentive service, stop-you-in-your-tracks dishes and an excellent wine compliment. Setting a tad austere but fits with the fine dining M.O. Top marks. Oh for a garden in the summer though!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We ate here the weekend before Christmas and as it was busy and I booked at the last minute, we could only get a 18:30 sitting. I was a little concerned that we would be made to feel rushed as another table may be coming in after us, however this was not the case.

The food was amazing and my dining companion agreed; we have eaten out a lot and this was some of the most exquisite food we have experienced. We both had the tasting menu, one with a wine flight and I selected two glasses from the wine flight to pair with selected dishes. Although we hadn't a clue what the sommelier was saying during his descriptions (quiet voice, strong French accent), this added to our enjoyment of the evening and either way, the wines went extremely well with each course!

Each mouthful of each dish was exceptional and I would have licked each plate clean had it been even remotely acceptable. The one and only course that was not 10/10 was the fish course with noodles as the sauce somewhat salty and the fish somewhat tasteless although granted, it was beautifully cooked. When the sommelier accidentally poured a desert wine for me in addition to my companion, it was instantly offered to me for free and actually made my enjoyment of the already perfect desert even greater.

If I were to have to give any suggestion as to how things could improve, maybe if the waiting staff could give people a little more time to digest and enjoy each course before the plates are whisked away. I appreciate that turn around has to be rapid, but it would diners' stress levels to drop a little and not to feel as though they're at a gastronomic theme park!

Overall, I cannot praise the staff or chefs highly enough and I haven't a clue as to why this fabulous restaurant doesn't have a star to its name. Yes it's expensive but it's worth every penny and you'll be talking about this restaurant for all of the right reasons for a long time to come. We will undoubtedly be back!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Booked on the day and it was quite busy but service was efficient, maybe even a little too attentive. However, it's unusual to visit such an establishment to find the maitre d leaning, and he continued to lean while he organised are table.

There were some high points and some average points. No particularly low points. I would have given 4 stars if it was slightly cheaper and the desserts were better as I don't believe it was truly value for money.

Things start off high with the pancetta bread. Amazing, could have eaten loads. The squash amouse bouche had a nice texture but was nothing to write home about. The starter was surprisingly (for me) one of the best dishes. Salsify with some sort of crumb with truffle sauce and bits and pieces. It looked unusual and very pretty. The first bite was nothing special but the flavours build up in your mouth and leave you wanting more.

The duck parfait was very nice and very light. I'd usually expect it to be pink and not grey though. The scallop with pork belly and apple puree was good. I believe my scallop was slightly undercooked in the centre but didn't particularly mind, and my partner didn't seem to notice. I think there was too much puree and not enough pork.

The turbot with noodles was the weakest dish savory by far. It was out of kilter with the rest of the menu, but I love Asian food anyway. Unfortunately neither of us particularly liked this, mainly because of the broth. It desperately needed some acidity but I'm not sure even that would save it.

We both chose different mains. I had the pheasant. It was good. The sauce pulled it together. I think it was flavoured with star anise and contrasted well with the sweeter flavours. There were 2 glaring errors that if they want to get a star they'll have to eradicate. The sinew wasn't trimmed from the breast and the "parsnip bark" (crisped skin) was hard, inedible and completely unseasoned. My partners' venison was very nice from the little I tasted.

The goat's milk mousse with beetroot and olive was very good. Could be incredible if it was bigger and the garnish was bigger in proportion. Unfortunately it was just a pallette cleanser which was disappointing considering how poor the dessert was.

Both desserts were a waste of time. The plum gallete was literally raw plum sliced on a mandoline with some pastry and tiny bit of melted ice cream. My dessert was okay, but again tiny and melted and very difficult to eat. What a shame.

4  Thank harewoodhound
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Me and my girlfriend went to the Artichoke for a special treat and I can honestly say it was the best most memorable meal I have ever had in my life. We splashed out on the tasting menu with wine flight and we experienced some tastes and brilliant dishes that were quite simply incredible! This really is top class dining. The service was faultless too.

1  Thank MJMAVS