“Lived above expectations...will highly recommend..!!!”

The Artichoke Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Artichoke Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 71 Restaurants in Amersham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Underground: Amersham, Rail: Chiltern Railways Main Line
Description: An award winning dining destination in the centre of beautiful old Amersham, the Artichoke restaurant has been tipped for the top by critics, chefs (including Raymond Blanc) and, rather impressively, the Michelin Guide 2011. The traditional setting of Artichoke has been given new life with a slick contemporary country makeover in which comfort and style sit side by side, colours are muted and soothing and the beautiful features of the building are allowed to shine through, a part of the carefully considered d��cor. Chef and owner Laurie Gear oversees a refined modern European menu filled with charming additions including not only seasonal ingredients but foraged herbs, berries and flowers too and he and his team can be spotted hard at work in the open kitchen from the Kitchen Dining Room. Other spaces here at Artichoke include the glorious Garden Dining Room, opening out on to the bespoke herb wall and the Wine Room up on the first floor, leading in to the well stocked cellar and just right for sophisticated business dining. The perfect neighbourhood restaurant, Artichoke has certainly put Amersham on the map.
Reading, United Kingdom
“Lived above expectations...will highly recommend..!!!”
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic restaurant which has been long anticipated amongst myself and guests.!!
After finally finding the opportunity to visit the Artichoke which isnt exactly on our doorstep, the 50 minute taxi journey from Henley-on-Thames was really worth the effort.

After sitting down in a nice relaxed setting, it was not too long until me and my 3 guests decided upon the chefs 8 course Tasting Menu, next to the open kitchen.

Every course was outstanding and delivered on flavour...the food was outstanding and requires real recognition.
Also to complement the Tasting Menu we opted for the matching Wine Flight, which I would really recommned.
The service is discreet, friendly and efficient without being intrusive.

I will highly recommend this restaurant to family,friends and work colleauges.

1 Thank KJT_12

Bucks England
“One of the best restaurants in England!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I eat regularly at the Artichoke as it is local to us and are never disappointed. The imaginative cuisine, beautiful setting in Amersham old town and warm welcome make dining here always special.

Visited January 2013
London UK
“Star crazy”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We used to love the old and late lamented Famous Fish Restaurant, now incorporated into the floor space of the Michelin star-seeking Artichoke. Well, the king is dead, long live the king. The fact that this restaurant would appear to be focused on the star from kitchen through to floor staff is only to the customers' benefit. Fine dining is something we dip into only rarely, so the pleasure is heightened. Of course the value is still to be had here even though booking is clearly essential and every cover taken I would imagine every evening. So get in while you can. We were a small group of four friends, most tables comprised couples. The ambience was spot on for all parties, the service beautifully balanced - we were in good humour, the staff matched our mood, but were clearly sensitive to the couples around us. The food met every expectation, through fish dishes (scallops, brill and wild sea bass) and venison, the wine excellent. In short, I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough. Expect to pay around £90 a head all in, and expect it to be worth every penny.

1 Thank Dellaph_Kite
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Very Impressed”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had lunch here today with my wife. We both thought it was excellent, certainly up to the standard of some Michelin starred restaurants we've visited. I had the quail starter which was superb, the hazelnut mousse was an excellent complement. The pork belly main course was equally good. My wife had the sweetcorn soup, which was the nicest soup I've tasted and she had the vegeterian main,the name escapes me, which was very imaginative and very clever with it's use of texture.
The staff were excellent, professional and attentive. Would definitley recommend this restaurant to others.

West midlands
“Better than many Michelin starred restaurants”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our extravagance is Michelin dining - last year we wnt to Gidleigh Park and L'enclume - but Artichoke was as good and sometimes better than many of these starred establishments. The service was exceptional, friendly and knowledgeable without being condecending. The food was exquisite, well balanced, well prepared and delicious. We genuinely rate this is as one of our best meals ever.

2 Thank nigel82a