The Kings Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We recently stayed at the King's Arms for three nights. We loved the rooms with all the amenities and the wonderful ambiance of the dining/sitting/reception area. The staff was welcoming, helpful and lovely.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

We are very glad you enjoyed the hotel - come again soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed here as I needed to stay in Amersham Old town for a few days, and this hotel has the better reviews of the two hotels.

I have to say that service was pretty good, and they were very helpful when I queried the room, even suggesting to try the other hotel (which is a sister hotel).

The proportions of the room were okay, cleanliness good, bar and breakfast good. ( I chose an executive room in the new area at the back of the hotel)

However, there were two or three areas of the room that just weren't to my liking. I appreciate this is a personal opinion, and others may prefer what I don't like, but hopefully others may find this useful.

The mattress was incredibly soft, so much so that just a slight move meant my husband was interrupted, almost like a water bed! I checked out the mattress and it was pocket sprung but very basic and quite old. Similarly the pillows were foam rather than feather and very big, so even just one pillow was too high. Lastly the curtains, whilst backed with blackout material they didn't stop the light around the frame. There is no pelmet and the track just fits the window, with a light outside so created a 'halo' around the curtains.

The next morning I quickly checked out the sister hotel and decided to move there.

No quibbles from The Kings Arms, even though I'd booked three nights.

Having stayed a further two nights at The Crown , I would definitely place it ahead of The Kings Arms. See my other review as to other benefits.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your fair review - i am glad we kept you in one of our hotels. We are aware that next year we have to plan some replacement of items, mattresses being one of them.
I will also check on the light issue from outside - we may need to redesign some of the curtains.
We appreciate you taking the time to give the feedback.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed in this hotel on Saturday 16th November (room 301) and made good use of the bar and restaurant as well as the room.

The Restaurant - Loved it! My partner and I both had fantastic evening meals and cannot fault the food or the service. I had bread and olive oil for a starter, and to be honest, it was a bit much for one person. Almost half a loaf was served! My chicken pie was stunning and my partner fell in love with the ox cheek. We waddled out of there two hours later in to the bar.

The Bar - Loved it! We sat next to the roaring fire on Saturday night and had a good couple of bottles of wine. Outside it was windy and rainy and it was really nice being cocooned in the comfortable bar which had a good, buzzy atmosphere.

The Room - On first impressions, our room was great. We were in 301 which has its own staircase to take you up to bedroom. 301 was a nice enough room but I think a soft refurbishment must be on the cards soon. Obviously, it's an old old building, and everything in the room leant to the side. Even the bed! But then again, you're not staying in a multi modern Hilton hotel, you're in an exquisite old building...and old buildings lean! The only real issue I had with the room is that you can hear what's going on in the bar, and hear the murmurings from the customers there. But as the bar closes at 11.30pm, it's not really a problem, but it might be if you want an early night.

Breakfast was good as well and we left happily at 9am on Sunday morning.

Thanks The Kings Arms. It was a lovely weekend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your very positive review. Come again soon!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Having experienced some poor accommodation in Old Amersham on several other visits to the area to see my wife's daughter and her significant other half, it was so refreshing to stay at the Kings Arms - we will certainly stay there again. Our room in the building at the rear of the hotel was clean, comfortable and well equiped - no complaints here at all. The staff were lovely, efficient and polite. The breakfast was superb -- wide choice of everything one could wish for. One down side was that when we arrived, prior to checking in, we had a bar meal which unfortunately cold (which we mentioned to the barman, and the portions were very small and unsuited for a trencherman - and they were expensive too. However, we would not let this deter us from staying here again but doubt if we would have a bar meal again.

1  Thank Keith W
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for the review and I am glad we are half way there! I will review your comments with our team as even if you are slightly late for breakfast, it should have been easy enough to rustle something cooked up for you.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

wonderful atmosphere, welcoming staff who make you feel at ease and spacious accommodation. Used as a base to visit london, very easy commute and great value for money. Dined in restaurant on Saturday night prompt service and beautifully cooked. Have re booked for Christmas wonderland Hyde park event with the kids.

Room Tip: Room 4 large with bath
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed at the hotel as was attending wedding. Rooms nicely appointed with nice furnishings and very clean. Wedding meal was excellent. Unfortunately missed breakfast the following morning as finished at 9.30am, which is unusual and was not mentioned when we checked in. There was a small buffet breakfast but was looking forward to a hot breakfast. Also, checkout was at 11am and we had a bit of a rush to pack and vacate the room. Pretty town with lovely shops.

Room Tip: Back rooms better
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for your review - i am sorry about breakfast - we really could have offered a bit more and coped with 2 extra.

My apologies.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a very old hotel which is good and bad. You get a good sense of history in this ancient market town. Staff is accomodating, fun pub \restaurant attached, room reasonably comfortable. We stayed in the front original building overlooking main street …the floor sags so felt off kilter, banged my head on one of the very low door jams and you could hear noise and chatter from the kitchen in the morning. All that said it was unique for us Yanks to stay in such an historical place...
worth a stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Being in an old building does pose some challenges, as we are not allowed to make many changes to it. I am sorry you banged you head and I will be taking up the kitchen noise issue with the head chef.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amersham
The Crown Inn
#1 of 1 in Wendover
Chartridge Lodge
Chartridge Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chesham

Been to The Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!