“Stylish, comfortable but something missing”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
Killinchy, United Kingdom
“Stylish, comfortable but something missing”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had a courtyard room which was very stylish and comfortable and had a good nights sleep. The bar was good for an hotel with a reasonable range of beers and whiskey. It could have been much better. The staff were friendly. However there is something missing. The staff did not advise me the wifi access, that breakfast was not open early and my wake up call did not happen. The staff need better training because the hotel could be a wonderful experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KenCountyDown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I went on a weekend away with my partner and thought The Crown Inn looked like the perfect location. We had dinner on the Saturday evening, the staff did not understand a lot of the questions we asked about the menu which meant we didn't understand what the menu was telling us either. The food was very average and I don't think I would pay the prices again for what we got on the plate. Breakfast on Sunday morning was okay, very busy and the two members of staff at breakfast did all they could to ensure that each resident was okay and enjoyed their stay. I wouldn't recommend to stay here again as I felt that the members of staff from the Saturday evening were rude and didn't care too much about the customers in the restaurant. Very disappointing weekend for myself and my partner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Weekend E
GM_TheCrownInn, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Weekend E

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us when you stayed with us at The Crown. We strive to make sure every guest is fully looked after and enjoys their time with us and that any and all questions can be answered by all members of our team here. With the thoughts you have brought to our attention we will use this to make sure that it does not happen again and hope that one day you will return to The Crown and have a more enjoyable stay.

Best regards

Grantham
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had a one night stay at The Crown on our way to the south coast. I wish it could have been longer. We found the hotel to be full of old world charm and character and so was our room, with it's beams and creaky wooden floor. Very tastefully designed, well appointed and comfortable, particularly the bed and pillows, which was a huge bonus and resulted in a wonderful night's sleep. For breakfast there was a huge Continental selection on offer - one of the best we've seen, and also included was a delicious Full English, all served by a friendly, attentive waitress.
Amersham itself is very pretty and full of high quality shops, restaurants, coffee shops and pubs. We will definitely return, next time for longer!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are the ones with character!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_TheCrownInn, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Alsma

Thank you for your lovely review of The Crown Inn. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we too wish you could have stayed for longer instead of heading down to the south coast on your travels. I'm glad you had a good nights sleep in our main inn and a made the most of our breakfast spread to fuel you for you journey south. We look forawrd to having you stay with us again in the future.

Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2013

From the outside the Crown looks to be a nice welcoming place where you can enjoy a meal but when you go inside it isn't. It's furniture is old and uncomfortable, especially for a disabled person like me. We just wanted some lunch but the menu offered was "sparse" to say the least, there was very little on offer and what there was came at a very steep price. We chose Welsh rarebit which turned out to be very rare as it was cold and consisted of one slice of untoasted bread with some rubbery tasteless cheese on it, when we make rarebit it includes onion, eggs and some Worcester sauce, none of which was included in this "offering" The price that this "cheese on bread" came at was what we would describe on this side of the pond as "they charge like a wounded bull" If your passing through and want to stop for lunch, avoid the Crown, just a few yards along, by the road junction and mini roundabout is a "greasy spoon " café that gives much better value and their food is much superior as well! Not as "posh" or as "stuck up" as the Crown but it gets my vote!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GM_TheCrownInn, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Good evening Canuck1950

It saddens me that you did not enjoy your visit to us at The Crown Inn and that your Welsh Rarebit was not up to scratch.We take all reviews whether good or bad very seriously. Since your visit to us there is a new management team within the Crown as well as a new head chef and a much larger and more diverse lunch and bar menu available with prices that have been amended to offer great food at great prices and to cater for all lunchtime needs.

Best wishes

Northampton
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I recently took a two night break at The Crown in Amersham. I was unsure what to expect due to the mixed reviews that I have read on this site.

However, I was very pleasantly surprised - it is a beautifully decorated period building with a modern twist which enhances its period features. The roll top bath in the bedroom was an especially nice touch!

We booked a package and were welcomed with a bottle of champagne in our room which we followed with an afternoon tea sat in the sunny courtyard. perhaps the bottle of champagne before hand gave a slightly rose-tinted view to the remainder of the afternoon, but from what I can recall the service and the food were both lovely!

On our second evening we had dinner in the Chophouse restaurant. Although the menu was not what I would expect from a 'chophouse' it was an appealing mix of modern British dishes... We had the duck pate and the white asparagus to start, followed by the spring chicken and a delicious piece of cod - all of which were fantastic. The desserts lived up to the rest of the meal - we thought the caramel artic roll and their take on 'milk and cookies' were great fun as well as very tasty!

My only slight gripe was that the room we were initially checked into was over two floors - something I was not aware of prior to arriving. Although it was stunning I have some mobility issues so it was not best suited to me.... However, as soon as I mentioned this to the reception staff it was dealt with quickly and efficiently and we were moved into an alternative room. The General Manager was passing as we were being relocated and she was extremely welcoming and helped us settle in to our new room.

All round we absolutely loved our stay and will certainly be coming back in the near future!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_TheCrownInn, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Walter H
Thanks for your great review, I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, the Head Chef is delighted you enjoyed the food so much, and appreciated his quirky twists on good, old fashioned food! With us being such an old building, we do have a huge variety of rooms, most of them have different layouts - I am glad we dealt with your room move request so efficently! Thank you again and we hope to see you back at The Crown very soon!
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I went to The Crown in Old Amersham as part of my birthday present. I had been wanting to go there for a while as I heard good things. I also saw that it was three courses for £25 but when I looked at the website on the day this had gone and a call to the restaurant confirmed it was no longer available.
However we still went along. When we arrived it was clear there was really no need to book as there was just my boyfriend and I and another group of four. I imagine if it was busy there would be a great atmosphere but it felt a bit flat. The decor is tasteful but very simple with wooden chairs and rugs laid on the back of chairs. One look at the menu and there is about five choices for each the starters and mains. We decided to go straight into the mains and were told it would be a 20 minute wait because we weren’t having a starter, which was a bit annoying. The mains are over priced with the vegetarian option at about £18 and the top at £24. I went for the Cornish Cod Loin (£24) with garlic langoustine tails, ink spaghetti, chervil and a lemon and pepper butter. There was also a bit of radish scattered on the side. Although very pricey it was delicious. There was a chunky piece of cod with a crispy skin which flaked as you pressed your fork into it. The garlic langoustine tails were quite soft and not overpowering. The ink spaghetti had a beautiful butter all over it, which was delicious. It was a lovely main. Tom went for the Braised Pork Cheeks with Truffle Macaroni cheese and wild garlic (£22). The pork was sweet yet had that taste of offal. For dessert I went for The Millionaire Arctic Roll (£6.50), which was chocolate sponge, vanilla icecream, chocolate sauce and salted caramel. The icecream was beautifully creamy and the salted caramel added that extra taste. I also had a lovely glass of wine which was a La Croix Grenache Merlot from France. It was beautifully soft and smooth, and well recommended. Overall it was a lovely meal and I was impressed by the quality and the flavour on offer. I think they need to slash their prices a little bit though as the restaurant was dead.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_TheCrownInn, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Rebecca C
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am really pleased you enjoyed the wonderful food at the Crown. We are currently in the process of reviewing our menu pricing and are hoping to re-introduce a 3 course set price menu very soon, to ensure there is something for everyone! Exciting new dishes are being added to our menus on a regular basis, so I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future to enjoy some of these, our high food quality will not drop when the prices do!
Best WIshes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked this one night stay as an anniversary surprise for my partner and I on the first May Bank Holiday. Prior to the trip emailed the hotel and asked, if it were possible on the day, for an upgrade or something just to make it that bit special (have only done this once before, a few years ago, at a different hotel and it was fantastic), the woman I was in touch with was extremely helpful and promised to see what she could do.

Upon arrival nothing was mentioned and we were shown to our room which was the booked standard one, across a carpark, right at the back of the hotel, down a dark corridor with no working lights! The room was also fairly basic and had a ripped and tatty armchair and also the bathroom door was covered in a huge black mark. After trying to change our dinner reservation to half an hour later (as the drive had taken longer than expected) we were told this was impossible as the restaurant was fully booked, so after rushing down to dinner we were surprised to see the restaurant empty until we had nearly finished our dinner - and we were seated next to the only other table of two in the dining area, not very romantic! I was also slightly annoyed to see that there was no £25 set dinner menu, as was showing on the website as the "sample menu". This meant that our dinner was significantly more expensive than I had budgeted for and it made me feel a bit embarrassed. If I'd seen the full menu on the website I'd have been able to work it out accordingly but to be ambushed at the table was a shame.

I was fed up by this point and complained to reception, where the manager was perfectly pleasant and offered us a couple of drinks, which we didn't really want.

It was an OK hotel, the staff were fine - if not overly helpful or accommodating - and I would certainly not recommend it for a romantic break unless you're really prepared to splash out a lot of money. They're not particularly interested in catering for those on the lower end of their price scale.

Breakfast was nice and the dinner was fine, if expensive for the quality of the cooking.

Amersham itself was lovely, and the ideal place for a quick getaway from London. I would just look at other hotels and definitely other restaurants more closely before returning.

Dear Bowway
Thank you for taking the time to comment following your recent stay at The Crown, I am sorry your stay disappointed. Unfortunately, we are unable to guarantee complimentary upgrades, especially as the hotel was full during your visit, I can assure you that, had we had availability, we would have done our upmost to accommodate your request. All our menus, with prices, are available to download on our website, the set price menu has not been available for a while now, however, we are looking to re-introduce this in the near future. We do our best to cater for all budgets, with a wide range of packages available on our website, I am sorry if we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.
Sara Chegwidden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amersham
The Kings Arms Hotel
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!