The Crown Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Hebron Bed & Breakfast(Chalfont St Peter)
  • Pool
North Hill Farm(Chorleywood)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewscourtyard roomwhite company toiletriescobbled courtyardroll top bathcomplimentary winesister hotelmain buildingmr and mrshigh streetcharming hotelcooked breakfastlambgreat weekendlovely roomwalk in showerfour poster bedfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 1, 2013

we stayed 3 nights over new year. it was poor. i only found out after making the booking that the hotel was in administration: i am unsurprised.

we walked from the station to the hotel: i wouldn't recommend it at night. via Station road, it's a 20-something minute walk predominantly downhill (note for your return!), but via rectory hill, is a dangerous in-road walk in the pitch black.

throughout the stay, the hotel could not seat us for dinner (twice booked out; once closed for sunday - although they warned us that it might be busy, you might reasonably assume that the guests would be given first refusal). we had (over-priced,disappointing) breakfast in bed once - they got the order wrong. when we ate in the dining room, they seemed surprised that the majority of guests at a weekend wanted breakfast at 10 am (it closes at 0945) and they collapsed. no juice, no fruit, no coffee, no service. On one of the nights that the restaurant was full, we tried to get some pudding in our room; they wouldn't entertain it.

the staff did an adequate job tidying the room on the first day, but did not enter on the second.

there was no storage in the room and, while i relish the period detail, the table on the sloping floor was effectively useless. our belongings ended up stored on the floor. The internet didn't work reliably in the room.

And all of this for more than 150 quid a night on in effect a room only rate? i'd recommend it for 50 quid/night. but not at more. one of the most disappointing hotels i've stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Top_Spinner
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I love the style of this hotel, which is an old rustic building that has been tastefully renovated providing comfortable rooms. There was good quality coffee and tea, with a teapot, in the room and towels and toiletries were also of a good standard.
The staff on reception were helpful and friendly and the public areas were of the same high standard as my room.
I ate in the restaurant and, although the food was very good, the service let the meal down. I had to search for someone to seat me and then when I was given the menu I had to ask if I could also order a drink. At the end of the meal I then had to go off in search of the waitress so I could sign off the bill. I was then surprised to see that they add 12.5% service charge to each meal, which I had not seen in the small print at the bottom of the menu.
I stayed here because I was working near by the next day, but this is the kind of hotel I would choose myself for pleasure. Although, if I had to wait that long to be seated at a pre-booked table when I am not a lone traveller, I would likely go and find somewhere different to eat.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Friends took us to this charming pub for lunch today. The beer was excellent and the beef and bacon pie was the best I have tasted. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and the staff were friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My parents held their wedding reception at the Crown in 1940; they celebrated their golden wedding there in 1980, and my father's funeral wake was held there in 1999. So when my sister and I tried to book a room for my mother's funeral wake we were expecting a level of service commensurate with what the family had experienced before. In fact the service was appalling. The receptionist indicated that 'The Bailey' Room would be suitable, but said she was unable to take a booking: she asked for my sister's email address and telephone number and told us we would be contacted the following day. Two days elapsed and no contact was made. When I phoned and said we'd been waiting to be contacted, no explanation or explanation was forthcoming. I was then told that 'The Bailey' Room was not in fact suitable, and no other rooms were available. The woman to whom I spoke was offhand to the point of discourtesy. I wrote a polite letter of complaint addressed to the manager but have not received a reply.
As one born and bred in Amersham it is distressing to see how such an historic establishment is being ruined by incompetent and arrogant staff, from the manager down.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Richard A
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Our view of this place may be colored by the amusing (maybe) challenges of arriving in the dark on a rainy night. It is easy to find the hotel with your GPS but the front door is on a busy street with no place to stop, much less park. We eventually found the parking lot (yes, you can fit a car between those buildings at the entrance) and everything got better in a hurry. The staff are very friendly and the tiny dining room was good enough that we ate there both nights of our stay. The rooms have the bizarre and unique lay outs that you would expect in a place this old but have everything you need both to sleep and get some work done. The nicest touch was the serious bedside reading selection. I liked one book so much that I ordered it on my Kindle so that I could finish it on the trip without taking the copy on the bedside table.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business