“Lovely break”

Champneys Henlow
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Henlow
“Lovely break”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Have stayed at Champneys four times in the past and it gets better and better. Lovely break to recharge the batteries. Great food and exercise with the option of various treatments. Enjoyed every minute. Would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I recommend having at least two nights stay at Henow Grange so that you can have your bedroom for an entire day and really appreciate the 'drifting around in your towelling robe' experience. The swimming pool and fabulous tasty and healthy meals are inclusive in the price of any package I think and are the highlight for me. My sister and I are have been hooked into their departing guest loyalty discount scheme for the past two years - which means that we have been returning at least every six months! Now looking forward to our next visit in July.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing are closer to the swimming pool and dining room - but really all rooms taht we...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Bedfordshire
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Having been to Champneys twice before ( the last time over 8 years ago) I was looking forward to another day being pampered. We had booked in for a chillax day to include two treatments. We arrived at 8 minutes past 9 and were shown into the lounge as the greeting room to the side of the main reception was full. Included in our day rate was Thalassotherapy and a 25 minute massage. We booked additional treatments of facial and foot heaven pedicure. I would have liked to be able to book additional treatments but there was no provision left on the day. I had tried to book on line in advance but as a day guest this is not possible. The staff were all helpful and polite throughout but the place is looking outdated now. The thalassotherapy area is very worn, with peeling paintwork, displaced drains and rusty drip marks on paintwork. The changing facility for ladies is cramped - I think there must be a good club membership locally as the changing room had little space left to move and no large size lockers.privacy or decent use lockers. TIP do remember your locker number, I witnessed three ladies unable to remember theirs and having to try and enter four digit combination codes into several before having to ask for help- points here for helpful patient staff. There wasn't enough room in the ladies changing room and I had to queue or shower and hair dryer. Only one out of two toilets in this area was working but there are facilities elsewhere in the building. The treatments were good and delivered by friendly staff. The manicure/ pedicure room is nicely decorated with comfortable chairs. The restaurant area art work looks dated now. For male/ female couples there is no way to share a sauna or steam room, I didn't"t see any couples treatments on offer. As it was so busy our additional treatments were at different times, so we each had a chunk of time on our own to fill - ok for us but not ideal. We did eat lunch together and sat by the pool on loungers together before treatments commenced. I found the jacuzzi too cold to sit in, it was same temperature as pool. The day overall was ok, but felt more like the local gym than high end anymore.

Paddock Wood, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Love Champneys, the staff are amazing and really make the stay. The setting of Henlow is staggering, brilliant for sitting out in (when warmer!) treatments a little pricey but expected as in a spa retreat. Food is amazing, especially the lunchtime! Wouldn't suggest having the courtyard rooms, you pay a premium and really no benefit.

• Stayed January 2014
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I visited Champneys Henlow this weekend and had a nice time but thought there were a number of areas where it did not feel like the luxury break that I think it should have done.

The hotel was quite run down. There were signs of damp on a lot of the walls, paint chipping and patches of damaged carpet. This makes the building feel old and run down rather than the cosy traditional feel that it should have.

Although lunch and dinner were both very nice, the breakfast was a let down. There was only a small choice of a few low fat cereals, a very limited selection of fruit, and yoghurt. I felt that the fact that any other breakfast such as egg was only available at additional cost was pretty tight considering how much the hotel cost!

There was a lack of water fountains around the place. For a health spa I would expect to be able to get water easily (especially in the studios) but this was not the case, and when eventually a fountain was found there were no cups.

My treatment was very enjoyable, however I was the last person called and the treatment finished 5 minutes before the time on my itinerary.

The conservatory was very nice (despite the corner in dire need of work) however it was a bit of a shame that people didn't seem to take notice of the signs saying quiet area please keep noise to a minimum. There is very little the hotel could do about this but I did think it was a pity that people are so thoughtless.

Overall I was happy with our visit, however I think for the amount they charge they need to sort out the points above. I have previously visited Ragdale Hall spa and would certainly recommend it over this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have been to Henlow many times over the last 15 years and it will always have a place in my heart. Yes I have been to other Spa's and there may be times when certain elements will seem superior. But going to Henlow is like going home, the staff remember you from previous visits and they are always warm friendly and uber-professional. The treatments are a mix of modern styles and well loved favourites - mine being Reiki and the wax bath. The restaurant cuisine has a good range of hot/cold options as well as the snackbar/coffee areas for indulgent treats. Yes Henlow may be next in line for a new coat of paint in certain areas but you can't beat the range of activities available at the price.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Terrific place for my wife and I to unwind and escape from our young children for a weekend! Location is beautiful, service great and the food was surprsingly tasty and filling. The rooms are clean but fairly basic, bed comfortable and the view of the grounds nice which would be lovely to enjoy in warmer weather. The treatments are first rate and the staff friendly. Looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henlow
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Days Inn Stevenage North

Been to Champneys Henlow? Share your experiences!