“Girls night in overnight”
Review of Champneys Henlow

Champneys Henlow
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Henlow
Beccles, United Kingdom
“Girls night in overnight”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Excellent value for money me and my girlfriends had a fab time. The treatments were great although we found they some times got in the way of taking part in the studio classes. Will have to spend more time at Henlow next time we go and maybe book the treatments round the classes we want to do..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
Rickmansworth
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I have very mixed reviews about Champneys on recent visit. I last went to Henlow grange about 7 years ago and found it to be very pleasant, and had been happy to recommend for this trip. On this occasion i was sorely disappointed.

The place is beginning to look a little shabby internally - particularly the bedrooms, the carpet was thread bare, the bathroom shower was too well worn for wear and tear and needed an overhaul. The beds were particular bed - more like a jollopy than a bed, I've stayed at better premier Inns then the Champneys bedroom.

The restaurant managers and senior leaders were awful, rude, impatient and too long in tooth or too complacent. However the younger staff had a better attitude. The tea bar is porr manned at most times with service taking way too long.

In the spa the quality of massages are quite poor, particular bare in mind their cost. Debbie one of the therapists was very good - welcoming but another therapist looked you up and down before introducing herself and pretty much set the tone from there.

Its not 3 or 4 star any longer . The cheaper deals through the coupon companies have driven down the quality and staff courtesy. Its seems to be pile it high and sell it cheap.

plus point. - There are many classes to choose from - lots of activity in the fitness centre.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have visited the Henlow Spa many times recently when I needed to unwind and recharge my batteries. The day gave me the opportunity to take part in as many activities as I wanted and they were included in the cost. I chose yoga and swimming classes which were fun and gave me the chance to try new things.
Recently the food has noticeably improved- I had pasta and artichokes which was lovely. You can share or eat alone whatever you wish. There are always staff nearby if you need help with directions or advice. I had a facial treatment which was very enjoyable and the beautician was very professional. I have always found the treatments are very good, the staff are careful and the rooms are quiet. The beautiful building and gardens are a real pleasure.The gardens are beautifully maintained with flowers out even in October. The river runs through the grounds and provides a gentle backdrop.
Only one complaint was that the changing rooms were not stocked up with shampoo when I was there.
I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I went to Champneys with a friend at the end of July to celebrate my birthday. My friend came over from the Middle East and is no stranger to luxury hotels. I was quite frankly embarrassed, having organised what should have been a luxurious day of pampering, actually felt like a day out at Bletchley Leisure Centre. (No offence BLC!) The day-guest changing accommodation is at the far end of the building, with a long corridor to walk along to get to the facilities and swimming pool. Along these corridors are 'has-been' celebrity photos, endorsing Champneys back in the 1980s. All very sad.

The buffet restaurant offered an excellent selection and I was happy with that. Also, the treatments that were included in our day package were very good.

Champneys Henlow had the feel of an aging corporate hotel not the luxury spa that it purports to be. Such a shame because the building is in beautiful grounds but it needs a serious amount of investment. There are nicer places at better value. I wouldn't recommend it nor would I go again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Just back from a relax/ facial day at Henlow. I have been coming here for the past 11 years and always come away refreshed. The staff are lovely and always available to assist. The grounds are spectacular and I will never get tired of looking at the weir. The spa treatments are excellent. If I had any criticism it would be that I feel the larconium area needs a little investment and I also feel that Champneys need to keep an eye on their prices in order to remain competative. All in all I had another lovely day and will certainly be back. Thank you Champneys.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Linda R
Welwyn Garden City, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Champneys Henlow is like my second home, can't get enough if it. Restaurant, brilliant, make sure you visit the decleor counter girls and treatments fantastic. Can't think of anything bad to say about champneys never had a bad experience there. Always go back with the loyalty vouchers which are really good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I visited Henlow with a friend over the summer as a day guest, full of anticipation as we had previously been to Ragdale. We were so disappointed, it lacked wow factor. The house itself is impressive from the outside in lovely grounds, but once inside it is livng on faded glory, the 'stars' gallery says it all, pictures taken years ago when Henlow was in its hey day. As a day guest we were shown to the day guest area, downstairs, it felt as if we were in the cellars, it has just been refurbished but looks corporate and lacks charm. Both my frind and I didnt say a word to each other but as the day progressed we both picked out the same failings. The pool area was nice enough, but damp patches on the ceiling and rusty bits on the sun loungers cetainly dont shoiult exclusive health spa, in fact a therapist wer spoke to told us of a local hotel half the price but much higher standards! What was the cherry on thge cake for me was the restaurant, the food was great but wait for it paper table covers over the linen gave it the feel of a low rate b and in Blackpool! and paper napkins. The attention to detail was terrible, it has the potential to be fabulous, but it needs an over haul, we were so disappointed. The only saving grace was that the treatments we had were good. End of the day our comments next time back to Ragdale Hall or the place up road ( Wyboston Lakes) Would we go again, sadly not, Henlow you need to look at yourself and regain some of the glory you had 20 years ago when the stars photos you so proudly hang were taken and they went there in ther droves, as your were back then the place to go, sadly not anymore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henlow
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Bedford Swan Hotel
#8 of 18 in Bedford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,568 reviews
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Champneys Henlow? Share your experiences!