“Hairdressers at Champneys Henlow”
Review of Champneys Henlow

Champneys Henlow
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Henlow
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Lesly Elliott hair and beauty - my niece and I have booked twice for a treatments and blow dry and just finishes the wonderful day brilliantly with friendly professional staff. Would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Champneys Henlow

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent two 'traditional' weeks at Henlow Grange in November and had our customary wonderful experience. The staff were, as always, friendly and yet thoroughly professional; food is that rarely achieved combination of tasty and yet nutritiously healthy. Treatments were so relaxing and one of us benefited from personal training with Rich in the gym as well as the studio training classes.

We are planning a return visit in the Spring of 2013 and can't wait! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Premier is worth the extra.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaveWendyMatt M
Reviewed December 30, 2012

It all started to go downhill at the time of arrival. The Receptionist who checked me in and also checked me out at the end of my stay was particularly unwelcoming. Having checked in, I was given a “welcome pack” and that was it. I explained this was my first visit, yet I was not given any useful directions to my room; was not given any details of how to find my way around; and was impolitely told I had to move my car immediately (even though it was the only car in the drop-off zone and clearly not in anyone’s way). Certainly not my idea of warm welcome.

When I got to my room, the disappointment continued. I was in the old part of the house and the room clearly needed some attention. The sink in my bathroom would not allow water drain away; the toilet took 8 or 9 attempts to flush each time; the sash windows rattled badly; the wardrobe door had clearly been forced open sometime previously and not been repaired. Not what I expected from an apparently top level venue.

I established there was a tour of the “resort” at 4pm. By 4:20pm and having asked 3 times about the tour, a tour was reluctantly organised but thankfully by a different Receptionist. During the tour it was becoming clear that in many areas, the venue was dated and in need of some repair and modernisation.

The poor quality service continued at the restaurant and was simply disorganised and dreadfully slow. The food for the evening meal was pleasant but the service let it down badly. My table was not set properly so when the main course arrived, I had to wait literally 10 minutes for a knife, and that’s 10 minutes from the point I actually asked for a knife. When I asked a different waitress if she could pass me a knife from an empty table, I was advised this was not allowed and had to continue to wait for my own waitress. In the meantime, my meal was getting cold. I was then offered bread to go with my meal, but this was towards the end of the second course. Something has gone very wrong here.

The swimming pool area was okay. The pool itself was fine, but the walls and ceilings in the pool area were in need of some repair and a few coats of paint. I think the marketing people have done a clever job with the photos on the website, as it doesn’t look that good in real-life. During my stay, the sauna was also out of order and the adjacent steam room did not live up to its name.

Throughout the “resort” it was clear to see staff standing around chit-chatting with each other, seemingly without any care that guests may need assistance. It was almost as if the place existed for the benefit of the staff and not for guests. It was typically necessary to have to interrupt staff from their social chit-chat in order to talk to them. From my experience, the customer certainly does not come first at this venue.

All things considered, I was utterly disappointed with my stay at Champneys Henlow, and it was a shame that they did not ask for guest feedback. This was supposed to have been a relaxing post-Christmas treat and ended up being anything but enjoyable. I had heard that this was supposed to be an exceptional venue. This was not my experience, so there is no way that I can possibly recommend it, even if you are able to get a promotional rate and even if your are prepared to suffer the bad service. There must be other Spa’s in the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Chris-RDD
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The staff at Champneys Henlow are always kind and professional. The facilities are fantastic and the experience is one every girl/woman must have!

I was unfortunate enough to suffer a slight reaction to a treatment and the staff were professional and helpful. I am returning for new years and they have even changed the treatment for me incase of a recurrence!

Fantastic fantastic fantastic!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My friend and I recently stayed for a weekend at the lovely Henlow Grange : we received a warm welcome and were shown to warm , welcoming rooms and then shown around Henlow : We did a mixture of exercise, relaxing, eating and pampering. The treatments were excellent : the pool lovely and we enjoyed the jacuzzi and hot room.
The food was amazing and all the staff so kind , helpful and friendly : the manager remembering us from a previous visit.
Cant wait to return : excellent value for money too .

Room Tip: make the most of it so lovely
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2012

If you want an individual spa day you can do no better than Champney's in Henlow. First rate parking (no charge) very near to the hotel area. Welcoming greeting into the hotel and wonderful service in each and every area. I enojyed an hour in the swimming pool area including the hot tub, followed by a thalassotherapy session (warm jets of water pounded round my body) for a half an hour. This was followed by lunch and a complete body massage and facal. Came away feeling like a nice fluffy warm blanket had been wrapped around me, that I didn't want to lose. If it had been summer I could have walked around the river and garden area and perhaps even lay in the sun.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Champneys Henlow (Henlow Grange as was) is a lovely relaxing place. The standout factors for me are the extremely friendly staff, and the scrummy food. Breakfast and lunch are served as a buffet, wine can be ordered at dinner, and I do believe you could even put on a little weight staying here if you really tried!

Henlow is much more for the 'normal working person' than it used to be; perhaps due to all those voucher offers they have on the go all the time. These days it feels much more socially inclusive.

Fitness options include guided early morning brisk walks, gym, exercise classes, classes in the pool, bicycle hire, tennis. Relaxation options include yoga and relaxation classes, steam room (single sex), the laconium (for women: a type of wimpy sauna), sauna (for men) jacuzzi (for all), and, of course, all those glorious treatments.

Another reviewer pointed out that the accommodation is not necessarily what you would expect from a luxury spa break, and is on the cheap; side. Whilst I agree with this, it is certainly not enough to spoil that floaty feeling I guarentee you will be feeling within hours of arriving here.

Room Tip: Some standard first floor rooms at the back overlook the river and the weir. The view is lovely, but...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henlow
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#4 of 10 in St. Albans

Been to Champneys Henlow? Share your experiences!