Review Highlights
Birthday treat

Arrived Sunday nice entrance lovely old hall. Rooms quite basic but we had a nice view of... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Reviewed October 6, 2018
Jeffs4u
Kettering, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews on arrival night break fitness classes sun loungers spa facilities relaxing experience one night stay breakfast and lunch return visit full body massage aqua aerobics birthday treat muesli light breakfast lovely grounds spa break weir
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Arrived Sunday nice entrance lovely old hall.
Rooms quite basic but we had a nice view of waterfall.
Swimming pool very clean But steam room was in changing rooms so couldn’t enjoy with my husband not sure why they’ve done that as there is a mixed sauna poolside?
Food was very good and healthy But not happy about paying extras for sides and other courses especially at these prices.
Classes very basic not enough to keep you occupied throughout the day .
Also ask for a a treat for my husband at evening dinner but nothing was done to acknowledge my husbands birthday.
Overall we would have to consider coming back maybe ???
I hope the other retreats are if a better standard ?

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My boyfriend and I came here for a day trip in August. Staff weren’t particularly friendly or helpful upon arrival, not told or shown where to go after breakfast so had to ask around.
When we went downstairs to get changed I couldn’t find my locker number for the life of me, took about 30 mins! Following that it was very unclear where we got robes from, so again had to go and find someone who look surprised that we hadn’t already been given them.
Treatments we had were really good and the staff were lovely, however a bit pricier than I’ve paid at other spas and been the same quality.
Lunch was good, selection was really good and it wasn’t too busy.
My main complaint with the place is that there was barely anything to do!! It’s basically just a large pool and a sauna? Much like a basic hotel spa just with a bigger pool. There was a steam room in the women’s changing area and that was it. Very disappointed about that! Been to many other spas where there are plenty of different experience rooms that could be enjoyed as pairs, but my boyfriend and I could only go in the sauna together and I’m not massively keen on them. Another thing here is that there is no way near enough seating areas and my boyfriend and I sometimes had to just keep swimming until we saw someone leave a chair which we could utilise.

All in all, came away feeling disappointed with my first Champneys experience, not sure if I’ll try another one. If we hadn’t of had the treatment each then we might as well have just paid to go to the local pool. There are plenty of other spas out there where you can get a lot more for your money!

1  Thank Charlotte P
Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

Birthday treat for my 16 year old. Booked a great deal through Groupon. Beautiful setting inside and out. Lovely facilities and gorgeous food.

1  Thank Jeffs4u
Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

A 3 night break with my sister. A big thank you to the fitness team for putting us through our paces; special thanks to Sarah for her enthusiasm during a fab Barre Fusion and Lee for making sure I worked hard in Connexus, despite not wanting too, but at the same time still checking I could survive it!!
And huge thanks to Pauline and Andrew for fantastic relaxing massages that relieved the aches that Sarah and Lee helped create

Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

So imagine, you arrive for the day, have a fabulous welcome and tasty breakfast. Realise you can just fit in a pedicure after the thalassotherapy pool and before lunch, great. The pool was, as ever amazing and does everything it should do, Tina the therapist was great. Pedicure was professionally and beautifully done, thanks to Laurie ( can’t quite read her writing!) and then time for delectable lunch; one of the reasons for the hundred mile trip. Relaxing over our fabulous starters we sauntered up for our main course, totally chilled and relaxed, choice was limited and the chef explained that at 1400 it was the end of service and then we realised...Our treatments were at 2 and we were at the far end of the building, our main course ( and puddings) uneaten but we were late. We dropped everything and ran like the clappers. Don’t ever let this happen to you. We were not greeted with any sympathy and our expensive massages where we aimed for relaxation a disaster.
We’ll come again, we love it here ( normally) and return every six months but we won’t ever make the mistake of being late.

2  Thank SueandJune
Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights & as others have said there are good & bad points. I had high expectations as I went to Tring last year & thought it would be the same...but it really isn’t. The staff at reception are thin on the ground & very young. We had no flip flops given on arrival and had to hunt round trying to locate them after reaching our room only to find they were at the main entrance & should have been handed to us on arrival. The facilities in the spa are sparse, in my opinion, it’s more like a hotel gym & swimming pool with steam, sauna & a drying room. There is no relaxing music playing around the building which I would expect in a champneys spa,only in the day guest changing room which is newly refurbished.
There are a lot of fitness classes which were well taught, great attentive staff, Ella’s barre class was really good & stretch & relax was fab!
The food and restaurant were brilliant, super healthy, no alcohol or over indulging unless you paid extra. There was a gentleman called Marcelo who worked in the restaurant who gave outstanding service consistently regardless of where he was in the spa. It is not enough to call this champneys, it just doesn’t live up to this brand name & the expectations that go with it.

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

On arriving at champneys I was greeted by a lovely young girl called Zoe, she was just amazing and made me feel so special . She recommended that I have the 50min full body massage and I must say it was so relaxing I fell asleep. Also there was Thomas who was just as helpful directing me to coffee lounge etc. I would highly recommend champneys as being the ultimate place for pure relaxation

Reviewed September 5, 2018

I recently visited Champneys Henlow with some friends on a spa day. After hearing some negative comments from other customers I wasn't sure if it would be worth what we paid. On arrival the staff were very accommodating. We enjoyed some relaxing treatments followed by lunch in the restaurant. It was clearly a busy day as it took a while to be seated. A lady called Kelly looked after us throughout lunch and even though you could see how rushed she was, there was always service with a smile and did her best for us. I was pleasantly surprised with my overall experience and would definetly return.

Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

Had a girls night away and enjoyed our visit.

Positives - nice room, good pool, spa facilities, good outdoor space to enjoy and lovely conservatory. My friend enjoyed her Elemis facial and thought it represented good value.

Negatives - restaurant at times felt congested and hurried, very small portions at dinner, overpriced wine, poor quality gluten free bread (would have been nice to have a like for like gluten free bread selection at breakfast).

We booked thalassotherapy which for £20 felt a bit steep baring in mind the small size of the pool and the fact that you’re sharing the experience with 4 other people. Also, it could do with being smartened up as it was looking a bit tired. Not sure the experience represented value for money. In our opinion this should’ve been a bookable but a non chargeable experience.

There weren’t enough vanity units to use when we were getting ready to leave at 4pm. As everyone else is doing the same thing as you and maximising their stay until 4pm it’s a bit of a scrum trying to get showered and hair dried etc...

Overall we enjoyed ourselves but things could’ve been better.

Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

Booked a spa day using a half price promotion on the Champneys website which included a light breakfast, lunch buffet and use of spa facilities. No treatments were included in the package.

The building has clearly been recently renovated with well decorated and clean social areas (breakfast room, lunch restaurant & cafe, and relaxing conservatory). And surrounding the large pool were just enough comfy lounge beds and chairs. Although Henlow does not have a variety of spa experiences (eg. scented steam rooms etc.) it does provide enough facilities for a well-rounded relaxing spa trip.

The food was very good throughout: breakfast on arrival consisted of fruit, yoghurts, mini muffins and canapé style rye breads (and teas & coffees), and lunch had a big variety of options including a ‘soup of the day’ as well as a large salad selection and choice of different meat/fish/vegetables, and two ‘healthy’ dessert options.

Overall I would recommend this spa to others as it has all the facilities anyone would need for a spa trip and using a half price deal makes it good value for money although the treatment packages do add a lot of money onto an already quite pricey day trip.

2  Thank LucyAlice2704