“Poor night at this Premier Inn”

Premier Inn Dunstable South A5 Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We stay at Premier Inn's around the country quite often. Sometimes for a specific reason and sometimes just for a change of scenery, and 90% of the time we find that we have a good stay. This time wasn’t one of those times.

Firstly I would like to address the rude receptionist. I booked 2 premier inn's within a week of each other. I paid in advance for one and booked the other to pay later. When I arrived, I was sure that this stay was the one that I had paid for in advance. I was basically laughed at and made to feel stupid when I even suggested that I had paid in advance. I asked when the room was booked so I could double check my emails on my phone but was told quite bluntly "I don’t know when you booked it!" without even looking at her computer. There was very little in the way of assistance and the whole situation was quite uncomfortable.

It turns out I was wrong and I made my apologies and paid. There was nothing in the way of an acceptance of my apology and little eye contact was made.

Secondly, the room. By far the smallest bed I have seen in a Premier Inn. I’m 6 foot 4inches and my feet were sticking out of the end of the bed. This isn’t much of a complaint, just a bit of a surprise as I have never had this problem with a Premier Inn Before.

The room was cold and any attempt to adjust the heating was unsuccessful as the digital thermostat kept reverting back to 18 Degrees, no matter how many times I changed it.

I don’t like to fuss too soon so I thought I would see how it felt after an hour or so.

at around 11pm I noticed blood on the bed sheets. Only slight speckles but still. It's blood on the bed sheets. I called reception 3 times but there was no answer. I then went down to reception and was greeted by a sign that said there was no one available because they were helping another guest. I waited around for 10 minutes and went back to the room to shower only to find hairs wrapped around the soap dispenser, mould and mildew on the shower head etc.

This is the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in. I could probably forgive the cold, hairs and mold if it wasn’t for the blood on the bed sheets and the lack of customer service.

Pretty disgusting actually. I know this is one of the cheaper Premier Inn's but I would rather pay more and not suffer contracting a disease.

Needless to say, we left at 7am, again to an empty reception desk. We wont be going back.

As for the Good Night Sleep Guarantee... Ill be seeking a refund.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ben M
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Dunstable South A5 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a clean and comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is my hotel of choice when staying in the Luton area. The staff are friendly and the rooms clean, although some are in need of refurbish, which from speaking to staff is being planned. The noise from the A5 and being on a flight path for Luton airport are negative points, but the A5 can be resolved by asking for a room facing the car park. The plans are not an issue unless you want an early night or lay in as I think they stop around 11pm and don’t start again until 6am, plus the flight path is not always in use, so on some stays I’ve not heard a plan.

Room Tip: The quiet rooms are facing the car park.
Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed with our two Grandchildren on 1st December 2013. All the Staff were
helpful and very pleasant, and made you feel welcome. I have to congratulate the housekeeping for their hard work in keeping the room (room 3) exceptionally clean. The room was large and there was plenty of room even though there were 4 of us. We had a great night, as Premier Inn's go it has to be one of the best. We ate in the Table Table which was also very good, the breakfast was great my Grandchildren enjoyed it immensely. Plenty of free parking.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is the first time we have stayed in this particular hotel ,but wouldn't hesitate in stopping here again. for the following: reasons.

Location is Rural on quite a busy road, located next door to The Horse and Jockey.A Table Table eatery . The Room was located at the rear of the hotel which was very quiet and very comfortable. It was a Large room with the Usual High Standard of cleanliness as expected ,With Very Friendly Staff. who made you feel welcome as soon as you entered Through. Automatic opening and closing doors which in our opinion are quite important, as it assists you with luggage carrying .etc..
Food next door was served quickly very tasty and to be fair we couldn't fault it.
In fact the only thing we could pick flies at was the lack of Free internet access
Yes ok They provided Half an hour free But you would expect a Large Company Like Whitbread to provide unlimited free internet access as today most travellers away from home expect access and do indeed receive it at most hotels or am I being a Bit Picky here?

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room overlooking rear car park
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Comfortable rooms. Well located and good service. The hotel is on the A5 with very easy reach of Leighton Buzzard, Luton, Dunstable and Milton Keynes. Easy to reach from the M1. Despite being on the busy A5 I had a really good night sleep.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed here for one night in Nov 2013, its a little bit in the country, right on the A5, there are no shops, houses, or petrol station near it, but close to main road network, check in was fast (I have a business account card), room was fine, clean, and ready to go, but a bit tight on milk, tea and sugar, and no biscuits which would have been nice, the restaurant is in an adjoining building, and is not like the usual corporate restaurant, which was nice, had a bit of character, food was fine, good service, breakfast could have been a bit more plentiful for the cooked items, and I wish there was complimentary newspapers I wish P Inn gave more than 30 mins on the WiFi, but it was a quick connection, if you want to tether your device, it only single G, so expect delay, overall a pleasant stay, with no surprises

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the road, which are very quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Nice and cheap with friendly staff, but they were inefficient at dealing with problem over smell of smoke in room 8 which was intolerable in the bathroom. Wasn't offered room swap or any refund. Would make me reconsider going back. However food lovely in restaurant

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Claire S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
6 mi away
Redwings Lodge Dunstable
Redwings Lodge Dunstable
#5 of 9 in Dunstable

Been to Premier Inn Dunstable South A5 Hotel? Share your experiences!