“Much better than London Zoo.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ZSL Whipsnade Zoo

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Dunstable
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy an epic day out at the UK's largest Zoo. Set in 600 acres of panoramic scenery and rolling Chiltern Hills, and with over 2,741 unique animals and 193 different species ZSL Whipsnade Zoo is a group adventure you will never forget! See the elephants on their daily walk around the Zoo, view the majestic rhino in their huge paddock, meet our lion pride, spot the cheetahs as they speed by and don't forget to look up our lofty giraffes too!
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Harlow, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Much better than London Zoo.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Upon my visit to London Zoo at one point, I discovered a fairly big difference. At London Zoo, the majority of the enclosures were very small, heck you could practically see how upset they were. Whipsnade Zoo however does not suffer from this as the majority of the enclosures inside of the zoo are very large. The shows were very well done and there were plenty of animals.....

Unfortunately, you're going to be hearing a lot of buzzing and screaming because this park has a pretty big wasp problem. A few traps were spotted, but there were not enough of them because there were still a lot of wasps around, scaring and annoying everyone.

If you can tolerate the wasps.....I recommend this wonderful zoo.

• Polish first
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Lovely family day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

What can I say about this place apart from excellent. A lovely day out had by all. Clean, well sign posted within, good map. Elephant show is a must see, we lived it especially getting to be so close to them. Allow your self the whole day for your visit, the park is very large and it will take you all day to get around it all . Highly recomend. Can't wait to go back. A lovely family day

Dartford, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A fabulous day out for the whole family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our family enjoyed a wonderful day at Whipsnade. Our 3 generations wandered round, stopping to just watch all the animals in their spacious enclosures. It is some 15 years since we last visited when our own children were in their teens, this time we took their small children, our grandchildren, and they were as fascinated as the previous generations. We had a picnic near the giraffes, applauded the sealions, had a close up view of the white rhinos and an even closer view of the lions through the thick glass window on to the paddock. We came prepared to walk and left the car in the car park which cost £4, much better than taking the car in to the park. This is not a cheap day out, but money very well spent as proceeds go to the Zoological Society of London, a world leader in animal conservation.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A great relaxing day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went to visit Whipsnade Zoo on my own to relax, and found it to be a very relaxing. Wonderful sunny day helped with the outing. I Pre booked on line for the single ticket and for the car park. Cost was £21 for a single adult, plus £4 for the car park which was for all day. Taking a short walk under the tunnel, you came to the queue. I am glad I Pre booked my ticket, a must especially if you have a big family on tow. Everything is very spaced out, and well signposted. Just make sure you wear appropriate foot wear, not high heels like some woman were wearing! The zoo keepers were very informative, if you got lost, and the animals were all kept clean and well watered. Lots of open space for them all, and lots of green pastures to graze. I didn't try out the cages, as I brought my own food. But, I personally think it is best and cheaper to bring your own packed lunch. I would defiantly recommend visiting the zoo, a great place to visit.

1 Thank Firebir
Northampton, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A brilliant zoo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Whipsnade is a great day out for all. Great that they accept Tesco vouchers too! The zoo is set out over a wide area and there such a wide variety of animals to see. We were pleased to see that quite a few of the animal enclosures have been improved over the years. Although the zoo is set out over a wide area, there are a number of places to purchase refreshments and a great deal of benches and picnic areas. The free bus service circles the zoo and you can hop-on and hop-off. A lovely place to picnic is near the penguins, as the views of the countryside are stunning. The café is very clean, although it would be better if you could purchase a selection of hot snacks such as toasties or hot sausage rolls etc. as they do tend to focus on full meals in my opinion. The train ride was fantastic and the commentary from our guide Victoria was brilliant!