Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Lovely Teenage Tigers

Visited here especially to see the tiger cubs (quite big now). Whilst they were in the small... read more

Reviewed today
Pole2Pole_Images
St. Albans, United Kingdom
A great day out

This is a wonderful place to spend the day. All the animals you could want to see, lovely staff... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Mike S
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom

2,980 results
All reviews butterfly house whipsnade zoo lookout lodge free bus steam train large enclosures base camp bird show train ride wild bite large area packed lunch per adult annual pass lots of space on foot baby elephant
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have always had membership to the zoo so it has always been visited by us as a family. We have had membership for about 5 years and we still visit a good number of times a year. The open space is great for the kids and it allows them to walk a good distance with the interest of the next animal to come. The food is over very high quality and my children do enjoy the hot meals. As a family we prefer to head up in the winter months, but that said I have never found the zoo busy once you are inside.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you come more than 3 times a year, buy a membership, it worth it. It was the best money I've spent this year... My son loves animals, and this is the place to be. Only about 35-40 minutes drive from London. Nice clean air, massive location. Worth driving in, the parking is better inside and easier to picnic :)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed in July 2013, on an 'adults only' evening (there are also 'family' evenings available). On arrival, we were welcomed by our hosts (Cat and Liv) with a choice of a glass of champagne or cold drink. After a brief talk about what to expect, we were shown to our lodges. We stayed in 'Lion Lodge', a double (twins are also available). The lodges are snug but very comfortable. There was ample tea/coffee/hot chocolate and a kettle, hairdryer and heater plus chairs on your own private verandah. Toilets and showers are around 20-30 yards away in a separate block. I'm someone who hates camping, but I really didn't have any issues with the lack of en-suite facilities here at all.

After settling in, we were taken on a 'safari' trip on an open-sided truck around the 'Passage to Asia' followed by a visit to the meerkats, then the lions - a very impressive enclosure houses the lions, with a fantastic floor-to-ceiling glass viewing area. We then moved on to the equally impressive elephant enclosure, where baby elephant Scott enjoyed showing off. From there it was on to our BBQ dinner, which was extremely tasty.

After dinner, we had the option of a torchlight walk back to the lodges (those who didn't fancy walking could be driven back, along with any wine or beers that we ordered or had leftover at dinner). The walk took us past the flamingos, cheetahs, antelopes, lions (again), giraffes and wolves. We were so lucky that all the animals and birds were out and about in their enclosures (something I gather can vary according to the weather/mood the animals are in!) We saw lots of free-roaming animals along the way, too - mara, wallabies, owls etc. Cat and Liv were excellent hosts - amiable, professional, informative and entertaining.

Back at the lodges, we could sit on our verandah and enjoy a nightcap, before turning in ready for an early start next day. The bed was very comfortable - I've slept in four star hotels with less comfy beds than that - with amazing fluffy pillows. Even though it was a hot night, the lodge was airy and cool, despite only having one small window. I must admit I slept with earplugs in, so missed out on hearing the lions roaring (my boyfriend did hear them, apparently). There is a member of staff on-site in their own lodge in case of any overnight issues/emergencies, and security guards who ensure nobody wanders in to the zoo unaccompanied after hours (don't be tempted to do this, you *will* be kicked out of the zoo!)

At 7.30am we were taken for breakfast. Again the food was excellent - a buffet offering hot English breakfast or continental style cereals, fruits, etc. After breakfast we visited the Siberian Tigers and then fed breakfast to the Chimps, Wolverine (who, sadly, didn't resemble Hugh Jackman) and European Brown Bears. Finally we went to see the penguins (whose enclosure boasts the best view in the zoo). It all ended at around 9.40am, giving us 20 minutes of free time to wander around the zoo before it opened to the general public. We took the opportunity to visit a few of the animals we hadn't already seen, before the hordes of shouty schoolchildren came in!

I can't recommend this experience highly enough. The zoo itself is fantastic, with huge enclosures and a wide range of animals, plus amazing views. Obviously with such large enclosures it can be hit-or-miss as to what animals you'll see on any given day, but the overnight stay meant we got more than one opportunity to visit all the enclosures at different times, so we pretty much managed to see everything. I understand from other reviews that it can be expensive for a day trip, particularly if you take a car into the zoo and want to buy food there - but for me, that made the Lookout Lodge experience even better value for money. If you are, or know, someone who loves animals, zoos, photography or all three, then this is the perfect experience. I'm already saving up to go again!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I grew up not far from Whipsnade Zoo so have visited MANY times over the years and yesterday I made my 2nd visit there this year with my hubby & 2 children.

Normally we pay at the gate but as I had some Tesco club card points about to expire I exchanged them for 4 times their value. So we paid for our tickets using the vouchers and only had to pay £20 to take the car in.

As we know the park very well we always do the same route, first stopping at the bears, penguins & chimps. Driving on to the reindeer & rhino (handy toilets here). Then to the hippos, lions & cheetahs. Finally we drive through the park to the main car park near the train & elephants. The rest of the day is spent exploring on foot & jumping on the free bus for a spin around the park.

There is now a brand new children play area with large climbing frame which our children, age 9 & 7, loved.

We watched the Birds of the world show & the sealion show (beware if your children sit in the blue SPLASH zone as they will get wet!

One little gem that most people seam to miss is the "Discovery centre", it's in the old farm house across from the birds of the world arena. It's full of spiders, snakes, lizards, turtles & has 2 dwarf crocodiles.

I can't comment on the price of food & drinks as I always pack a picnic when we have family days out.

I notice that other reviews complain about the entrance price, but it costs £1 million per year to just feed the animals at ZSL London & Whipsade Zoo's. ZSL is a registered charity and rely on support from the public for income to fund not only their work at the 2 zoo's but also their scientific research and conservation work running in over 50 countries worldwide. So the entrance fee support their mission to conserve wild animals and their habitats on a global scale.

Whipsnade Zoo is a fantastic place to go so arrive early, pack a picnic and enjoy a truly wonderful day out :)

4  Thank Emma D
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I couldn't believe how big the place is. My little grandson was so happy. There is a long queue to get in but, we bought our tickets online and got straight in without waiting. So many animals and some actually where you can touch them (deer mainly). We were lucky to see a new baby deer just hours old. The childrens play area is well equipped both indoor and out. The views from some high vantage points are really spectacular. There is a tour bus that takes visitors around the zoo which you can get on or off where ever you want.