“Should have known before I checked in. Three nights, three rooms...”

Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Should have known before I checked in. Three nights, three rooms...”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My first email was answered; the second email was not. The third, sent to the GM who responds here, went unanswered as well. A fourth email to reception and the GM went unanswered. Glad I called to confirm my reservation - there wasn't one.

The first room I was offered smelled strongly of mildew, despite only being a few months old. Night one in room two was OK. The next day the heater went out of control - set on a cool 17°C the room reached an incredible 28°C (84°F) overnight. My comments to the front desk before and after the hot night went unheeded; the thermostat remained unfixed during an entire day. When I was essentially told, "It's now too late in the day to do anything about it, put up with it," I demanded a new room.

I noticed the the hotel was advertised as "breakfast included" rather than the "full English breakfast" I would have expected. Words mean things, of course, and the breakfast choices turned out to be a subset of a full English leaving out what I like best. I noticed I wasn't the only one turning in dirty plates with mostly uneaten eggs and sausage...

The bed was comfortable, the location convenient, and the people quite friendly.

I am now in room three, night three. I haven't even checked out yet and I've written a review. I'll report any followup by the Holiday Inn Express if it happens.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ltcterry2006
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear ltcterry2006,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased that you found our location convenient. However, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you and your family. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Hatherleigh, , United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I booked two double rooms and a twin room during November 2012. The hotel is very clean with pleasant helpful staff, however, the double beds sank the middle, causing you to roll together, in fact they were so uncomfortable that we hardly slept at all. NOW ON TO THE "FREE" BREAKFAST. Nice sausages, nice coffee, the scrambled egg was disgusting, in fact my mother found half an egg shell cooked into hers,that is as well as all the small pieces which were there too.The toaster didn't work properly, there were two croissants in the cabinet which were rock hard, a member of staff was good enough to replenish these with more, which were fresh out of a microwave YUCK! So having had next to no sleep and a below standard breakfast, none of my party of five well be staying again, and, as we all know, the price of the breakfast is included in the room charge nothing is free!

Room Tip: My tip is to choose a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ricki E
Louise T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your stay and taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased that you found our location and staff service convenient for your needs. We are sorry you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the bed accommodations and breakfast. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to host you again should your travels bring you back to the area.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as we were going to the theatre in Dunstable. Rooms are lovely and there is a huge shower in the bathroom. Fantastic modern hotel. Will stay here again. Got a cheap rate of £49 so well worth it. Breakfast was good, nice selection available.

• Stayed November 2012
Louise T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Dunstable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Dunstable hotel again in the future.

I hope you enjoyed the theatre.

england
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Exceptionally clean. Located alongside the A5. The room we stayed in had twin beds with a choice of soft and firm pillows. The shower was great, in fact everything seemed brand new. The breakfast was also fine, a choice of fruit juices, cereals, toast, croissants, pain au chocolat, sausage, beans, scrambled eggs. Would have no hesitation in recommending. Also the bedroom window opened, so much nicer than having to have air conditioning on all the time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

I was delighted to read that you found our rooms exceptionally clean and service good here at the hotel. The shower is a great to start your day - I only wish I had one at home! I have shared your feedback with the team, who were pleased to hear that you found your stay most enjoyable.

uk
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed here for two nights. Nothing much around it, but there is a Sainsbury's 5 minutes drive away.

Obviously new. new furnishings. Clena and tidy. Could do with a shelf to stand you case on though, only option is the floor!

Took bathroom light a while to heat up so you could see.

Room Tip: Back of hotel overlooking field.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

You mention in your review that nothing much is around? we have some great facilities near the hotel - when you return please ask reception who will be happy to assist you.

Liverpool
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ive stayed at this hotel a number of times now. i think its had a couple of teething problems which now seem to be ironed out but overall i think its very good. The room price includes wifi and a breakfast buffet, which is really nice. The rooms are spotlessly clean and very modern, the beds are really comfortable. My only gripe would be the lack of choice on the menu in the bar area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

I am also delighted that you have seen changes with regards to the hotel, as a new hotel and a new team we are working together to iron out problems making sure that we look after you.

With regards to the Dinner menu, the menu is currently been reviewed, I would really appreciate some feeback. Please can you send you comments to gm.dunstable@holidayinnexpress.org.uk

Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Very clean and well decorated this seemed better than an average HI express room as bathroom was larger and shower has excellent compared to most HI hotels. More than happy to stay again when in the area. Rest of hotel facilities all seemed standard fare. Seems pretty new, but easy to find even if not in your sat nav as it is bang on the a5 with a decent size car park in front. May need a car to get to restaurants.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Louise T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, November 16, 2012

I was delighted to read that you found our rooms and service good here at the hotel. I have shared your feedback with the team, who were pleased to hear that you found your stay most enjoyable. Our hotel is a new hotel with the NEW Holiday Inn Express specification which has evolved over the years based on customer feedback.

Our hotel is located near Dunstable Town Centre with many different restaurants. To drive this is a 5 minute journey or you can walk in 20 minutes. We do serve food onsite - our Thia Chicken Curry is delicious!

Louise Thrussell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
The Old Palace Lodge Hotel
The Leaside
#4 of 26 in Luton
Hampton by Hilton London Luton Airport
Holiday Inn Luton - South M1, Jct 9

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dunstable? Share your experiences!