Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
$55
$67
All reviewssausagelarge showerbeanshot foodbreakfast was includedgood sizefree wifigreat showershower roommodern hotelself serviceyogurtluton airportbudget hotelthe breakfast areawhipsnade zoobuffet style
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The offspring had invited friends around at home. Not exactly a party, but food, drinks, and an evening with friends. Time for Mum & Dad to get out of the way for the night.

Holiday Inn Express room rates vary enormously. A hotel at a popular location when there is an event nearby can be seriously expensive, I mean big money. And yet a hotel in a quiet location can be remarkably cheap. I really like HI Express Hotels but I object to this lack of consistency. Are you budget or expensive ? Decide please.

On this occasion the rate was very good. The room was excellent. Dinner in the bar was, well sort of ok -ish. But overall we had a good evening, and a good stay at very reasonable cost.

There is nothing near this hotel, Luton airport is a bit far away to be really convenient. The nightlife of Dunstable is too far to walk. I'm not really sure who would use this hotel, but there is quite a bit of development building going on very nearby.

Summary: Nice hotel, very nice rooms. But recommendation depends upon room rate and the reason for your stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have countryside views
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Louise T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Dunstable.

I was delighted to read that you found our rooms and service good here at the hotel. I have shared your feedback with the team, who were pleased to hear that you found your stay most enjoyable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Dunstable hotel again in the future.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I spent three nights here. It was very clean and nicely furnished. I had a nice view from my bedroom and we were allowed to order take out inorder to augment our food choices. The staff were nice and polite. The environment was serene. The prices were very decent. My only problems included a paucity of leisure activities ( for example, there was no pool swimming pool), and the limited choices on the food menu. However, the food served was tasty. I will be back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be nice with very clean and nicely furnished rooms. With regards to leisure facilities as a Holiday Inn Express this is not a service that we provide, however close to the hotel is a leisure centre with a pool. With regards to the dinner menu at the hotel this is currently under review, I would really appreciate your comments or maybe a dish you would like to see on the menu; please email any comments to gm.dunstable@holidayinnexpress.org.uk

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed for a birthday party locally with other members of our family. The rooms are really good and spotlessly clean as they should be however some of our party did not have hot water and as the hotel was full they had to put up with that. Drinks really expensive as always in a hotel.. but the Barman last night was friendly and jolly.

Breakfast was the real problem only 2 members of staff trying to cater for 250+ people, ran out of cutlery, cups, plates etc and many food items, went to reception to get a manager and the receptionist was the duty manager for Sunday 7th October, she was busy on her iphone - texting or doing something when I approached, she said a member of staff had called in sick at 4am… and no replacements available, she did go and find knives about 8 in total. HIE are seasoned hoteliers and one would have thought that they know with a full hotel they need more staff but apparently not, as in replies to other reviews the manager is asking customers to tell her how they can improve!!

***********If you don’t want to pay for more staff buy more cutlery and crockery and have reserve staff on zero hour contracts that you can call in at short notice******

Would I stay again.. yes but would check hot water in room immediately.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Louise T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased that you found our hotel very good. We are sorry you found your stay less than satisfactory due to service. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback has helped us improve. Please be assured that this review has been shared with the team and manager on duty.

Guests such as yourself that take the time to give us feedback give us the opportunity to ensure that we drive the hotel forward improving our products and service. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to host you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed here for one night to attend a business function in Dunstable.
Check in was quick and efficient although we were only given one keycard for the room my colleague and I shared and had to request another - not a biggie but when sharing I've always been given my own key straightaway.
The room was spotlessly clean, spacious for a budget twin room with the pillows labelled according to how soft/firm they were - nice touch. The aircon/heating was a bit noisy during the night as it came on intermittently when the room got a bit warm. The bathroom was modern and again spotlessly clean, we were a little disappointed to not have a bath but the shower was large and powerful and more than made up for this - I've stayed in far too many hotels where the shower was little more than a trickle which, as ladies will appreciate, is a nightmare for washing your hair!
The selection of food was adequate for such a large party - there were close to 100 peole catered for in our party. Predictably the bar was expensive, not much change from £10 for a pint and a white wine with soda, however most of our party decamped to the pub just up the road for the evening.
My only disappointment about breakfast is that there was no bacon available - the hot selection was only scrambled egg, sausages and beans. Plenty of choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, criossants etc if you fancy something lighter.
I'd happily stay here again but probably spend the evening in the pub!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Louise T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

I was delighted to read that you found our rooms spotlessly clean and spacious. Little touches such as the pillow label I am pleased to hear you loved them.
I will ensure that the feedback you have given with reference to your room key is given to the team and further training given to ensure that guests like yourself who are sharing receive two keys upon check in. I have shared your feedback with the team, who were pleased to hear that you found your stay most enjoyable.
You also mentioned the aircon/heating was a bit noisy during your stay as it came on intermittently when the room got a bit warm. I really appreciate this, as a new hotel this is essential to illuminate any defects.

I am delighted that you found our new shower fantastic. As a brand Holiday Inn Express all our hotels have a shower. For guests that love baths then the Holiday Inn do offer this service. The same applies to bacon, as a brand we have delicious sausages.
You mentioned that when you return back you would spend the evening in the pub? We would love for you to dine in with us, have a drink and even watch a sporting event on our large screen TV. How can we get this right? Please send us your thoughts to gm.dunstable@holidayinnexpress.org.uk

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Nice hotel with good shower and spacious room. Evening meals poor with a very small menu. Breakfast cooked beans, scrambled egg and sausages all on the economy side. Most staff very friendly but they are unable to cope at checking in, checking out and serving meals at busy times. Ordered a meal at 8.00pm arrived at 11.00pm. If you are looking for a place to stay and not worried about food you will find this ok, but if you want to eat try another hotel. There is a hungry horse about 5 mins walk with great food and I saw many hotel guest here. I stayed for 5 days but after the 2nd day never had a meal in the hotel. Will not be choosing to stay at this hotel again :( Sorry.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 32Jon

I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be nice with a good shower and spacious room. I am disappointed that we did not deliver on our service. I have shared your feedback with the team, and we are currently analysing, re training and taking corrective steps to ensure that we delight our guests. We very much as a team focus on ‘guests are at the heart of everything we do ‘.

I would very much like to restore your faith with us. Please can you send me an email to gm.dunstable@holidayinnexpress.org.uk