“Excellent”

White Horse
Ranked #24 of 92 Restaurants in Dunstable
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Soups
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

On Sunday 19th May members of The Jaguar Drivers' Club, Bedfordshire area, met at The White Horse for a 'Spring lunch'. The club wish to thank the Landlord and his wife, Tom and Jade Dunnell, who only took over the Pub at Christmas 2012, for making this a fantastic event. Friendly service and great food. Every member commented how good it was.

• Visited May 2013

Northall
“They seem to be listening - is this a new beginning?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

There seem to be two separate streams for this pub - so I've posted this on both!

We've lived in the neighbouring village for the past 25 years and we'd pop in to the White Horse for a meal every now and then. We hadn't been for a while and so when I read, in the villages' Focus magazine, that the pub was being refurbished we decided to give it another go.

We've pretty much always found the beer to be bright, the wines to be varied, and the food good (not "great" - but you pays your money ..."). But in the past 2-3 years of the previous landlords' reign they knew that they were going to retire, and the fabric of the building became tired.

When I walked in last night, I immediately noticed that the place had been re-carpeted. Sounds strange, I know, but it feels seriously good quality underfoot. Then looking around, there's new furniture and the place has been redecorated. Any worries that I had that the refurb would spoil the character of the place were immediately forgotten. It retains all the best bits of that character.

The refurb's not complete yet (e.g. the ladies' loo has been completely updated, but the gents is not scheduled to be done for a few weeks).

Food and drink next. Three decent beers to choose from (plus lagers, ciders etc on tap) and the 3 pints of Doombar that I had were clear and bright. The "specials" menu behind the bar has temporarily been taken while the new menus are being prepared. The standard "book" menu is ok, but I'm really looking forward to the daily variations re-appearing.

The landlords have recently returned from their honeymoon, and it seems to me that they're keen to use this as a "re-set". On our way out, Tom (who I've never really spoken to before) came over and asked me two very pertinent questions: what do I like about the new pub? and what would I like to see improved?

He seemed to genuinely want to know our opinions and, even though we turned down the offer of a drink "on the house", it was his interest in making this "a pub for the community" that led us to hang around to chat for another 30 minutes.

I told him that, for me, I'm really impressed with the new decor and am likely to visit the pub more often as a result. The two opportunities for improvement I see are: 1) finding a way to get more people to use the restaurant part of the pub - currently there's a vicious circle, no one wants to sit alone in the restaurant so no one plans to go there, and 2) I'd like to see a couple of different "specials" on the menu each day. Yes I like the old favourites, but I also like the "surprise" of finding something new EVERY time I visit.

I recognise that David and Janet's "Mine Host / Master of The House" approach was and is, a tough act to follow. But that was then and this is now. Tom and Jade have made a VERY good re-start, but the trick now will be to create reasons for more frequent visits.

If you do visit the pub, give Tom your (constructive) views on the way out - both what you liked and what you didn't. If he lives up to his word, then we'll have a community pub that we can be proud of.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank NorthallGreenTurtle
Northall
“They seem to be listening! Is this a turning point?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

• Visited June 2013
Bedfordshire
“Dissapointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

We used to go to this pub regularly for meals on a days out. We called there 30th April 2013. quite a few years since our last visit. Found out new owners. I was delighted to find my favourite beer on offer London Pride.
Then we ordered the meals. I had a prawn cocktail and my partner had the soup. So good so far.
Then the main meal came up. I had the whitby scampi. It was discusting soggy cold and watery.
I had fries with the meal which was advertised as cooked 3 times. You may as well slice up a raw potato and eat it. They were the worst fries that I ave ever had. A very pale uncooked look with hard raw potato inside. We were going to have a desert as well but we didn't bother. I did complain to the waitress. But was not offered an apology. Won't be going there again.

• Visited April 2013
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

The food was clearly re-heated and this is not the first time, I certainly won't be going back. The food here used to be amazing, such a shame.

• Visited March 2013