Elkhorn Inn & Theatre
$72
Turnpike Motel(Princeton)(Great Value!)
$68
$65
All reviewsfun to watchgreat chefrail fanplace to staychef danrailroadhostswatchersbathfurniturehighwayaccommodations
Reviewed March 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Elkhorn Inn March 21st to the 23rd for an ATV trip. I booked at the Elkhorn as all other options for places to stay that are conducive to riding ATVs are mostly small cabins with few amenities. I can honestly say that I was not disappointed. The Inn is quite nice, and our room was very comfortable. Though I do have to say that the claw foot tub was my favorite part. And where else can you rides the trails of Hatfield McCoy, soak your muscles in a nice hot bath, enjoy an outstanding dinner, and still be able to check your email before bed. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

As far as riding goes, the Inn is about 3 miles from Green trail 19 of the Indian Ridge trail system of Hatfield McCoy. However, is you don't already have your sticker you'll have to travel about 8 miles to the Ashland store (which is located at the trail head) to get your permit. It is legal to ride your ATVs on the streets in the area, so you don't have to trailer them is you don't want to (though my husband and I did, and there is plenty of parking at the trail head, as well as a loading ramp and bathrooms). Indian Ridge is a great trail system where the blue trails are as easy as the green, and plenty of black and red trails sprinkled in for the experts. Also of note is the Wagon Wheel ATV pit stop not far from the trail head, that has food and other items (google Wagon Wheel ATV). Elisse and Dan also told us of county trail is the area that are legal, but we didn't have enough time to explore them.

I do have to mention 2 things that really make the Elkhorn stand out. First are the owners, Elisse and Dan. They were absolutely wonderful. Second is dinner. Make sure that you plan to have at least one dinner at the Inn. Dan is a great chef!!! I've eaten at some great restaurants in DC and NYC, and our dinner at the Inn was definitely up to par with those restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank isis8266
elissejo, Owner at Elkhorn Inn & Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2009

Thank you for your splendid review! We are SO glad you enjoyed the Inn, Chef Dan's dinner, & ATVing here in the mountains! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 11, 2007

You have to be going to the Elkhorn Inn to find it, that's how secluded this wonderful bed and breakfast is. However, this place is well worth seeking out if you want a comfortable, no-fuss place. The Inn is an extremely solidly built old coal company building, and was the sole surviving building when a flood destroyed the town of Landgraf several years ago. Some of the rooms share a bath, but what a bath it is, a very large room with two claw foot tubs. Our room had
it's own bath, which was small but clean. Our room was quaint and comfortable, furnished with a double bed, a vintage quilt, and 1930's
furniture. Each room has a bookshelf full of an eclectic selection of
reading material. The rooms do not have televisions, but there is a television room down the hall, also furnished with books and magazines, videos and board games. Just off the tv room is access to the wonderful patio. Train lovers will be in heaven as the famous
"pokey" line is directly across the street (you do hear trains at all
hours of the day and night, but it's no worse than street traffic
level noise). The Elkhorn creek runs right next to the building and provides scenic views and great fishing. ATV trails abound. The countryside is so interesting, with mountains, quaint towns, coal mines, and old bridges everywhere. One of the owners of the Inn used to own a New York art gallery, so the house is filled with unique artwork. The owners are accomodating to the extreme, and are interesting people in themselves, so be sure to save some time to talk to them. The only drawback to this place is that there truly are
no restaurants closer than a half an hour, so be sure to order at least one dinner at the Inn, and be prepared to drive awhile for food. The Elkhorn Inn is a unique experience, but one that is highly comfortable and very enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank brighterworlds
elissejo, Owner at Elkhorn Inn & Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2010

Thank you for your lovely review of the Elkhorn Inn!
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay & the many things our area has to offer!
Hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed November 14, 2006

This inn may be in the middle of nowhere but once you step inside you feel at home. A damp day was warmed by a cozy fire in the living room. The hosts are a very interesting and entertaining couple and made us feel very special. Our 15 year old grandson was with us. He loves to fish and was provided with all he needed to catch fish in the trout stream behind the inn. He is not at all the B&B type but hopes to go back to stay at the Elkhorn Inn. If you knew him, you would know what a special endorsement that is. Very interesting art, also railroad memorabilia, books and much more to make our time spent here most enjoyable. Also the history of the Inn and the story of how the present owners came to aquire it as well as the work they had to do to it, make it worth the trip in itself.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ellbet

Thank you for your splendid review!
We are delighted you so enjoyed the Inn, the fishing, and Chef Dan's dinners!
Hope you'll return soon!

Reviewed March 9, 2004

I am on my way back to the Elkhorn Inn in Landgraff, WV this month. Been there twice and it was really great. It's a B&B in the mountains of so. WV, & the owners have restored this "Coal Heritage Trail" bldg and filled it with art and antiques and pretty quits and made it really lovely. The neatest things are the antique clawfoot tubs (they have a bathroom with 2 tubs & a chandelier!) and the little balcony overlooking the trains- when you sit out there with a cup of coffee you really feel like you're somewhere in Europe. There's great ATV trails nearby, and they'll arrange rental ATVs and a guide, so even a NYer like me who doesn't know a THING aout "fourwheeling" can ride in the mountains. There's even a cute little golf course! I had a day at the Glade Springs Spa, too (and a great Sushi dinner in Beckley), which is only an hour away. I drive down from NYC- it's 9 hrs door-to-door- and they let me bring my cat:-)

2  Thank Netmeggs

Thank you so much for your lovely review!
We're delighted you enjoyed your stays with us, and the many fun things our area has to offer!
Hope to see you again soon!