“I Did Not Want To Leave!”
Review of AMC Cardigan Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alexandria
AMC Cardigan Lodge
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I almost don't want to review this for fear everyone will discover this gem! Truly, wish I could have stayed there for the summer! A friend and I stayed after climbing Mt. Cardigan this week. The lodge is small and cozy, the food was beyond my expectations, the staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were spotless! We enjoyed meeting other hikers and some of the Teen Volunteer Croo! Anything you need to make your stay comfortable was available to us, including a wonderful fire pit and marshmallows! Thank you Cardigan Lodge, I will be back soon!!!

Room Tip: The 'pool' is a pond and the 'fitness center' is the climb up Cardigan!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Cardigan Lodge is a lovely, small lodge. The staff was always available and could answer all questions about local hiking trails to identifying local flora and fauna. The meals were fresh and delicious and they were served family style which encouraged interactions between guests. It was wonderful to watch the Naturalist working skillfully with the children at the lodge. She led them on learning expeditions on the trail and at the lodge. We had a wonderful time and would recommend
Cardigan Lodge to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here for the first time specifically for a "training climb" of Mount Cardigan - what a great experience! Super-attentive, friendly managers & staff - great food (and lots of it!) included in the price - comfortable rooms, hot showers - plenty of activities to keep the kids busy - and right at the trailhead! Couldn't ask for more - am joining AMC now!

Room Tip: No A/C, but rooms have fans that keep it cool.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

That you can still find affordable fun for the whole family that is living on a tight budget! Kids stayed free on our trip! Two moms three kids and a whole bunch of fun. That happened because Tom and his croo take pride in their work. They welcomed us with wide smiles and pointed us towards all the possibilites that awaited. Hike, swim in the pond, or swim in the river. The hike to the falls was the perfect length for small legs and offered pools to swim in that were refreshing! There was so much still to do that planning for the next trip has begun! The rooms are clean and adequate. The lodge is comfortable with a common sitting area. The meals are plentiful and delicious. Should you choose to buy lunch for your day they provide ample choices to construct an amazing meal to bring along. This is a well kept secret, well, was a well kept secret!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

What a fabulous place! A former college roommate and I had a wonderful time at the Lodge with our three children. The lodge is located at the end of a dirt road so the setting feels safe for children to run around, but it is easily accessible. The price was right (kids stay free through the end of August). I cannot say enough about the warm feel of the lodge from both the staff and the other guests. Tom and his crew were so welcoming. The food was delicious. The rooms are not fancy but are totally adequate. Although we didn't get a chance to do a lot of hiking, the walk to the falls is stunning. The kids had a great time splashing around in the river. Even before we left, my friend and I began to plan our next trip to this special place. You will not be disappointed!

1  Thank Karen_820_13
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The food was delicious and plentiful. The service was excellent. We particularly loved the Naturalist. She had a way with the kids, kept them engaged, and offered a variety of interesting activities. There were also great trails that started at the lodge - no need to drive anywhere. Great experience over all.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My son and I just returned from a weekend with Wee Wanderers at Cardigan Lodge. I was looking forward to a way to introduce my 5 year old to some of what the AMC has to offer. I was not disappointed! The two naturalist who greeted us were instantly welcoming and we immediatly felt comfortable with the two Kates. As the other participants began to arrive I was a little concerned with the youngness of the overall group. (Wee Wanderers is for kids 3-5 and there were lots of 3s). My concern was short lived as we got to know the other families, how rugged the 3 year olds were, and how well the Kates were able to gear the program appropriately to all age groups. Even some older siblings, who were 7-ish, were engaged and enjoyed themselves more than they had anticipated.
The accomodations were excellent....very clean and well maintained. The library had enough children's books so that we had a few different bedtime stories each night.
It goes without saying that the food at an AMC lodge is excellent. My picky eater was willing to try new things and has even asked that I add lasagna to the rotation, although I don't think mine will compare to Tom Fisher's!
Overall a great trip, a great program, and we're already looking at the calendar to see when we can head back up to the lodge.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tanya O

Been to AMC Cardigan Lodge? Share your experiences!