Royalsborough Inn at Bagley House
$59
$134
$68
Americas Best Value Inn Brunswick(Brunswick)(Great Value!)
$79
  • Pool
$116
$96
Harraseeket Inn(Freeport)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe main househost and hostessgas fireplacehomemade sconesgreat hostsguest roomsfiberjimalpacasfreeportmaine
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have stayed at the royalsborough inn several times and I can't say enough about the hospitality,friendliness, quality and value at this charming inn! Jim and Maryanne were gracious hosts and they are the reason I have returned! have stayed in several of the rooms- all of which were accommodating to my needs.On each of my visits I have had gourmet breakfasts prepared fresh by both Jim and Maryanne filling me into the afternoon.On my first visit I witnessed a family with very specific food allergies happily served and satisfied.Jim gave me several suggestions for several restaurants in the area for dinner all of which were phenomenal.On one of my visits I had run a local road race and Jim had breakfast waiting for me when I returned!!
Can't wait for my return visit!

Room Tip: I have stayed in both Emma's Room and the Durham room. Both excellent!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2013

After reading the ads and reviews I didn't expect such a mediocre place to put it nicely. We felt ripped off so I waited a long time to review The Royalsborough Inn in order to "chill", that I wouldn't vent my totally bad feelings; we made the best of the rest of our time as we only had a weekend in Maine but of course it's still a bummer when the place you stay at is not up to par. It was overpriced, the food was cheap quality, and the "farm" was a disappointment as it appeared to be more for business purpose display than truly a farm.
We met the owner Jim who was very polite but he asked numerous times during our stay what "special" we had purchased so as to figure what had to be done, making us feel like a number or a chore to be checked off in sequence on a "to do" list. The decor is basic kitschy (used teddy bear collection scattered around an old hutch, victorian style repro looking umbrella and ladies gloves laid out on a buffet, etc.), a stereotypical idea of what a farmhouse should look like, similar to Disney style facades; although this is contrived, the lovely old house itself is authentic. We didn't get an intro to the layout/visitor areas as is usually done upon check in and no info was offered during our time there. On a weekend vacation there's not much time to keep looking for someone to ask basics so we would just go without whatever; we weren't even sure of the house security upon returning there at night, it seemed as if we were the only ones in the whole house which is unsettling when you're in unknown surroundings. It wasn't organized and was understaffed, with only Jim doing everything, we had to wait around constantly when we could find him.
Jim told us they had sold hundreds of Living Social vouchers so I'm thinking that a deep discount may be part of why people rate this as they do (and of course alpacas and bunnies anywhere are always adorable). This was not a genuine/nice experience or relaxing vacation stay, and the food was not good in any sense of the word. "BUYER BEWARE". Luckily the restaurants we hit pronto to make up for the breakfasts we were served at the Royalsborough were very good and we further cut our losses by staying out as long as possible before going back there to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HarryMax
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed a week with Jim and Marianne in September 2012. They made delicious from scratch breakfasts plus helped us to figure out what sightseeing we would do each day. Our bedroom was large and comfortable – had a gas fireplace which we used when the weather turned cool in the evenings. One day Jim took us into the yard where they kept chickens (the roasters crowed for us every morning), 2 geese, a mother and two daughter goats, 10 or 12 alpaca and one llama. Each animal had a name and responded to it when Jim called them. We highly recommend the Royalsborough Inn at Bagley House in Durham, Maine.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I booked an overnight to break up the drive to our yearly camping trip in Maine. The Royalsborough Inn is the perfect place to rest and unwind. The room was very clean and comfortable with special touches like handmade soap in the bathroom and soft alpaca rugs by the bedside. You can look out the window and see the alpacas that provided the beautiful fiber for those rugs. If you are a knitter, be sure to spend some time in the farm store perusing all the gorgeous yarn (alpaca, of course!). Breakfast was delicious, with fresh eggs from the chickens out back. Jim and Marianne shared wonderful stories about the history of the house and the local area. We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked another night for our return trip. It was both a great beginning and ending to our summer vacation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca_D_Brooklyn
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I arrived a bit earlier than my scheduled 7:30pm check in time on a Saturday. Marianne and Jim were right there in the yard with some other guests checking out the chickens and rabbits when I arrived. Jim took my inside to get me checked in and show me to my room. I had booked the Freeport room that was cute and cozy with its four-poster bed and electric log stove (not needed as it was quite warm when I arrived, but cooled down just fine in the evening). The private bathroom around the corner was very large. Jim introduced me to the alpacas and goats which was wonderful. Some of the other guests were sitting outside having a drink so I joined them with my growler of Bottle Rocket IPA from Portsmouth Brewery (I had just made my way up from New Hampshire). It turned out that they were also there for the Moxie soda festival and had connections to the company and we had a lovely chat. Later in the evening, I went to the Jameson Tavern at Jim’s suggestion and had a delicious bowl of lobster stew and an Old Rasputin. I strolled around Freeport for a bit and headed back to the inn for the evening. I chose the 7am breakfast time as I needed to get on my way to the Moxie Festival. We had a beautiful fresh fruit dish accompanied by a cinnamon roll (apparently Marianne is quite a baker) followed by an egg soufflé and breakfast potatoes. Coffee, tea, and juice were also provided. I made a last visit around the grounds to see all of the animals and was on my way. This is a lovely inn and Jim and Marianne are gracious hosts. I would love to return some day.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo