“Inn-viting”

Ranked #1 of 1 Durham B&B and Inns
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Inn-viting”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have stayed at the royalsborough inn several times and I can't say enough about the hospitality,friendliness, quality and value at this charming inn! Jim and Maryanne were gracious hosts and they are the reason I have returned! have stayed in several of the rooms- all of which were accommodating to my needs.On each of my visits I have had gourmet breakfasts prepared fresh by both Jim and Maryanne filling me into the afternoon.On my first visit I witnessed a family with very specific food allergies happily served and satisfied.Jim gave me several suggestions for several restaurants in the area for dinner all of which were phenomenal.On one of my visits I had run a local road race and Jim had breakfast waiting for me when I returned!!
Can't wait for my return visit!

Room Tip: I have stayed in both Emma's Room and the Durham room. Both excellent!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cranston, RI
Reviewed March 5, 2013

After reading the ads and reviews I didn't expect such a mediocre place to put it nicely. We felt ripped off so I waited a long time to review The Royalsborough Inn in order to "chill", that I wouldn't vent my totally bad feelings; we made the best of the rest of our time as we only had a weekend in Maine but of course it's still a bummer when the place you stay at is not up to par. It was overpriced, the food was cheap quality, and the "farm" was a disappointment as it appeared to be more for business purpose display than truly a farm.
We met the owner Jim who was very polite but he asked numerous times during our stay what "special" we had purchased so as to figure what had to be done, making us feel like a number or a chore to be checked off in sequence on a "to do" list. The decor is basic kitschy (used teddy bear collection scattered around an old hutch, victorian style repro looking umbrella and ladies gloves laid out on a buffet, etc.), a stereotypical idea of what a farmhouse should look like, similar to Disney style facades; although this is contrived, the lovely old house itself is authentic. We didn't get an intro to the layout/visitor areas as is usually done upon check in and no info was offered during our time there. On a weekend vacation there's not much time to keep looking for someone to ask basics so we would just go without whatever; we weren't even sure of the house security upon returning there at night, it seemed as if we were the only ones in the whole house which is unsettling when you're in unknown surroundings. It wasn't organized and was understaffed, with only Jim doing everything, we had to wait around constantly when we could find him.
Jim told us they had sold hundreds of Living Social vouchers so I'm thinking that a deep discount may be part of why people rate this as they do (and of course alpacas and bunnies anywhere are always adorable). This was not a genuine/nice experience or relaxing vacation stay, and the food was not good in any sense of the word. "BUYER BEWARE". Luckily the restaurants we hit pronto to make up for the breakfasts we were served at the Royalsborough were very good and we further cut our losses by staying out as long as possible before going back there to sleep.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HarryMax
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed a week with Jim and Marianne in September 2012. They made delicious from scratch breakfasts plus helped us to figure out what sightseeing we would do each day. Our bedroom was large and comfortable – had a gas fireplace which we used when the weather turned cool in the evenings. One day Jim took us into the yard where they kept chickens (the roasters crowed for us every morning), 2 geese, a mother and two daughter goats, 10 or 12 alpaca and one llama. Each animal had a name and responded to it when Jim called them. We highly recommend the Royalsborough Inn at Bagley House in Durham, Maine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn NY
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I booked an overnight to break up the drive to our yearly camping trip in Maine. The Royalsborough Inn is the perfect place to rest and unwind. The room was very clean and comfortable with special touches like handmade soap in the bathroom and soft alpaca rugs by the bedside. You can look out the window and see the alpacas that provided the beautiful fiber for those rugs. If you are a knitter, be sure to spend some time in the farm store perusing all the gorgeous yarn (alpaca, of course!). Breakfast was delicious, with fresh eggs from the chickens out back. Jim and Marianne shared wonderful stories about the history of the house and the local area. We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked another night for our return trip. It was both a great beginning and ending to our summer vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca_D_Brooklyn
Alabama
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I arrived a bit earlier than my scheduled 7:30pm check in time on a Saturday. Marianne and Jim were right there in the yard with some other guests checking out the chickens and rabbits when I arrived. Jim took my inside to get me checked in and show me to my room. I had booked the Freeport room that was cute and cozy with its four-poster bed and electric log stove (not needed as it was quite warm when I arrived, but cooled down just fine in the evening). The private bathroom around the corner was very large. Jim introduced me to the alpacas and goats which was wonderful. Some of the other guests were sitting outside having a drink so I joined them with my growler of Bottle Rocket IPA from Portsmouth Brewery (I had just made my way up from New Hampshire). It turned out that they were also there for the Moxie soda festival and had connections to the company and we had a lovely chat. Later in the evening, I went to the Jameson Tavern at Jim’s suggestion and had a delicious bowl of lobster stew and an Old Rasputin. I strolled around Freeport for a bit and headed back to the inn for the evening. I chose the 7am breakfast time as I needed to get on my way to the Moxie Festival. We had a beautiful fresh fruit dish accompanied by a cinnamon roll (apparently Marianne is quite a baker) followed by an egg soufflé and breakfast potatoes. Coffee, tea, and juice were also provided. I made a last visit around the grounds to see all of the animals and was on my way. This is a lovely inn and Jim and Marianne are gracious hosts. I would love to return some day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Incredibly bad and very disappointing. The farm weekend package puts you in a room looking onto the street that the house sits on (there’s highway noise, it’s much closer to the street than it looks on the website). The food was processed fare (Pillsbury iced buns, plastic water bottles at the table, etc.) with the exception of the eggs that came from the chickens in the back yard. The omelette with canned diced tomatoes and a small chunk of cheese inside was so dry that no one at the table ate more than a few bites (the host piled it all onto a dish at the table to feed to the goats or chickens, I forget which he said but it was gross to do it at the table while all sitting there). The first morning there was a tasty muffin followed by 2 small pancakes (seemed like from a mix as they were salty) which were raw inside and inedible. We overlooked it as anyone can have a bad day and I figured the cook person was out, but the omelette on the next day proved this wrong. This is what they serve regularly and on both days we were so hungry (there wasn’t even toast, there was a small portion of home fries both days) we had to buy breakfast afterwards. And this isn’t very close to a restaurant (that’s ok for a farm experience but this wasn’t truly one).
The farm is 3 fenced enclosures in the back and some chicken cages. There’s a picnic table next to the chickens (they don’t roam, they’re caged). The large enclosure with the cute alpacas has an animal shelter inside it but there is no barn to go in as one could usually do on a farm. The host, Jim (there was no other person there except a polite woman who we saw twice and wasn’t introduced) said that he bought the animals from a woman who told them they needed something there to bring customers in. The owner(s) may participate in fiber activities but this is not a “farm” bed and breakfast as much as it is someone with a hobby/attraction in their large yard. At one point Jim told us to go into the gift shop (we never asked to go) which he would unlock, and to wait for him there while he “settled up” with other guests. The gift shop is a small back room with mostly imported items where we waited around 15 minutes until Jim came back and told us about different products. It seemed like an attempt to sell things and we were informed that every animal was for sale. Every time something happened in terms of time and guests we were left standing there and told to wait. Jim was the only person running it; when we first arrived we stepped into the front hall and had to wait at least 10 minutes while he started talking with another couple on their way out. I finally had to ask if we could put our bags down just over the threshold of another room because the 5 of us were crowded standing there in the hall and we’re holding bags the whole time. We felt very awkward because there was no explanation or tour of the rooms, and we didn’t know what was public vs. private space; I usually take an early morning walk but didn’t as I didn’t know where one could go on the property, there was a house dog kept shut in the back room so who knows where a visitor stands with that and we felt intrusive having to always ask about everything because no info was provided. As for refreshments we didn’t see any. I’ve never had an experience like this in a bed and breakfast, the good reviews were a big factor in bringing us here so I don’t understand that. To pay 125.00 per night in the low season and along with everything else, have to go buy breakfast is terrible. Regarding the innkeeper reviewer who said “lovely breakfast”, please state the name of your inn so we know the kind of standards you have in your own business, we’ll duly avoid it. Another review stated vegetarian needs were accommodated: when we told Jim we were vegetarian he told us for the first breakfast “Well, bacon IS available” and rather than accommodating our vegetarian needs and offering an alternative he simply omitted the one strip of bacon that the other guests were given. The second day we had some thin strips of what looked like canned ham on our plates and Jim told us just take it off, he’ll feed it to the goats. That’s the vegetarian accommodations. Our room was very clean and the bathroom was large and old fashioned lovely (though the soap sliver didn’t last into the second day). Given that, this place is okay for an out of the way clean room with caged backyard pets if you don’t mind highway noise minus breakfast, but for a farm weekend 125.00 per night experience it’s ridiculous to put it nicely. If you advertise something you need to provide it whether that means paying for help, a cook or whatever because people are paying for it. I feel that the advertising is misleading and our host was very polite but cutting corners in every way to maximize a profit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house Freeport Room which was very clean but hadn't been totally prepared...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Anniesotm
Jim R, Owner at Royalsborough Inn at Bagley House, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
We are sorry that your stay with us was less then you expexted. We always hope that our guest have a positive experience. We also expect that if there is a problem that it would be immediately(not months after), shared with us.so that we can address any issue in a timely fashion.

Jim
Virginia
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We had a fabulous three days at the Royalsborough Inn - wonderful accommodations in a Pre Revolutionary War house - tastefully decorated, modern accommodations at an agro-tourism farm - couldn't ask for more. Jim prepared three different breakfasts for us - all delicious and very tasty. He gave us and our local relatives an interesting tour of the farm and provided an educational talk on the raising of alpacas. There is something for everyone at this inn - plus, it is convenient to the Maine sea shore, and, of course, LL Bean.

Room Tip: Flip a coin - they are all nice and different. We needed the handicap room on the first floor and J...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Hilton Garden Inn Freeport Downtown
BEST WESTERN Freeport Inn
BEST WESTERN Freeport Inn
#8 of 11 in Freeport
George Perley House

Been to Royalsborough Inn at Bagley House? Share your experiences!