“Our Second Visit and Still the Best!”
Review of Ride the Rim

Ride the Rim
Book In Advance
More Info
$176.04*
and up
Big Island ATV Tour Above Waipio Valley
More attraction details
Owner description: Waterfall Adventures above Waipi'o Valley - the Valley of the Kings - by ATV or buggy on Hawaii, the BigIsland. Great talk story, serious fun, get dirty, watch husbands turn into 12 year olds.....rain or shine, it's all fine.Snacks and beverages included. Twice a day/365. Call or book online.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I took a group of friends on this tour because of the wonderful experience I had with Ride the Rim 2 years ago….and once again I was not disappointed! What a thrill it was even the second time around! This is an adventurous, exciting and incredibly informative tour. We didn’t just get to SEE waterfalls, we SWAM IN them. We learned about the Waipio Valley’s ancient history, the Hawaiian Kings and importance of taro farms in the valley from one of the guides who is a Hawaiian native and actually lives in that valley.

All the guides were incredibly well versed in the history of the area, helpful to the novice ATV riders in our group and great fun throughout the tour. We found safety to be top of mind (and it needs to be on these machines). You can take it at a fast or slow pace on the trails, the guides somehow made that work in our small group of about 10, and then have ample time to relax by the beautiful waterfall..or take a swim if you are so inclined. We've heard this outfit is a favorite of the celebrity set and I can see why, it's top notch! My group loved it…..We will be back!

All reviews
in 20 reviews
"snacks and drinks"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Great fun - My Mum (83 years old!) and son (15) went in the mule behind us, their driver - Patrick made it a lot of fun for them, we got muddy, swam in a waterfall, saw the crater - amazing views. I've never been on a quad bike, but it was easy to learn, and it was still adventurous enough for my husband, and our other son - a great way to see some inaccessible places - probably the highlight of our trip (or at least equal with the ziplines on Maui! :-) ).

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Should have listened to the blue book Hawaii Revealed. Not much to see riding an ATV through a bunch of trees, and only making a couple of stops with views that you could attain from the waipio valley lookout.

The biggest problem this operation has is the owner herself. She has the most abrasive personality, as evidenced by her responses to past reviews here. Tourism is dependent on new and repeat business, yes? and someone like me will review any tour or attraction on tripadvisor, yelp, and google before committing. Her attitude is very defensive, and you would think that being in the tourism industry, your reputation is everything.
Channel 9 big island TV, there are commercials for this ATV operation, and this lady's demeanor on the commercial was.....for lack of a better term, abrasive.

There was something lacking in this tour. There was no sense of anything special about it. I wish I would have gone to youtube first, as some past customers have posted video of their riding experiences.

Vacations are about memories, and you want to create positive memories, where you walk away with a smile on your face. With an abrasive attitude from the owner, and nothing special to offer, this alone makes me wish I wouldn't have done or even recommend this tour to anyone.

3  Thank RGb747
Eileen L, Owner at Ride the Rim, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Please be advised that rarely am I involved in the day to day "meet and greet" of our guests, so I do not personally meet many folks at all, except on the rare occasion that I must cover the desk.
I try very hard to find something positive about every management response I make, even to the abusive comments like this one, though this one will be a tough one. Describing our most difficult guests ever as our "most memorable" is an example.
We have received many, many accolades about our commercials from marketing and advertising folks. Not sure what is offensive about our commercial to this individual. Again, the chocolate and vanilla metaphor applies.
We are adamant about safety, me being a Board Certified Risk Manager and Quality Assurance Manager in another life. So, no compromises whatsoever are extended when it comes to safety. That does not always sit well with some, though very few, guests.
Serving as the enforcer in any business involving the general public engaging in an adventure activity AND getting the last word in management responses on public websites such as Trip Advisor certainly puts me in the line of fire.
Ad hominem attacks are, however, uncalled for. The reviews are really about the tour, our wonderful guides, the cultural awareness of Ancient Hawaii we so carefully impart to our guests and the fun of the quads through the rain forest and every reviewer gets to vote Yay or Nay on their experience. If ever there was a time and place it is NOT ABOUT ME, it is here.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I are experienced Atv riders and thought that this would be a grand adventure for our first trip to Hawaii. Unfortunately their Atvs are not brand new like they state in their ad, our set of atvs were so over used I had to have my bike switched out twice. My first bikes brakes didn’t work and then the second bike kept down shifting on its own whenever I accelerated past 14mph which caused me to be thrown forward into the handle bars, a guide quickly switched that one out saying “Don’t want you breaking your face on that another lady already did” I asked him for real? And someone actually did flip over the fence and break her face on the test course…WTF! Another guide explained that the bikes can be unpredictable because most of the bikes being used were the originals that the company started with 7 years ago… 7 years ago! And they look like they were never maintained, ALL of the brake lights didn’t work and going up the mountain in the thick fog with no visibility was NOT SAFE we were endangered following other guests driving off into the bushes trying to follow guides that they could not see. The newer looking bikes were driven by the guides and the guides only, they wouldn’t let me use one of their bikes even though I’m an experienced rider and owner of 4 Honda Rancher 450’s. In the beginning of the tour a bike stalled out on the trail stopping the tour and one of the guides came rushing back and flipped his bike over 5 TIMES! The guide flew off his bike, hit his head, then tried to flip the bike over, he was obviously in shock, the other guides yelled at him to stop that “he was in shock” he then got on a bike an disappeared for the rest of the tour.8 of us wanted to leave the tour and be taken back to our cars but the guides informed us that no refunds would be given and impressed upon us to be quiet about this because their boss couldn’t afford to cover up any messes like these anymore, and their jobs were all on the line… THAT is what we were told! The rest of the tour was super lame, we risked our lives for NO view of the valley and a freezing cold tiny waterfall and we weren’t allowed to go to the 60ft waterfall right behind us anyway so not that much to see we had a better time at Onomea falls just walking around…Don’t pay money to ride a crap broken bike up to a freezing cold foot pond with no view of the valley wasting 3 hours of your time to be fed crap cheap snacks, snacks that are half smashed from the ride up (although I notice that the guides seem to love them as they partake in the snacks and drinks throughout the whole trip and we were only offered it once)…. We were not satisfied customers. Definitely not worth the time, the money, or the VERY REAL risk.

8  Thank Kristen C
Eileen L, Owner at Ride the Rim, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

My apologies to the TripAdvisor Community for enduring a TripAdvisor War from some VERY ILL- BEHAVED guests. Kindly see "most life threatening adventure" for full details and "abusive" for follow up.
Again, my apologies.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The dudes were not friendly ..!, Signed up for this after looking at their site which said, we will make any one comfortable even those who have not done an ATV before. It turned out they made us very uncomfortable. There were around 30 of US, and we all go in one line, taken to couple of View points, where they blabber without even seeing if anyone understands what they are saying about the place and culture. The rest stop is an Ice cold water fall, where no one could get into, and you were given 15 minutes time,if at all you are interested in gettting into water. Waste of Time and Money.

5  Thank Jaiki
Eileen L, Owner at Ride the Rim, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

This party is correct, RideTheRim is not for everyone. That is why the world offers chocolate and vanilla at every turn. That being said, I must correct the factual inaccuracy in this posting. We are not capable of taking 30 folks on the mountain at one time and NEVER HAVE.