“Classic keys dining”

Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Grassy Key
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Welcome to the Original S.S. Wreck & Galley Grill in Grassy Key Florida ... A "local's favorite" --- Steve and Stephanie started The Wreck in 1999, sold it in 2005 and was turned back to them in Oct 2015. The S.S. Wreck re-opened Feb 10, 2016 with original owners, chef & some waitstaff! Bringing it back to the way it use to be. A place to have fun! Stop in and say hello!!
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Stopped in here for a late lunch and instantly fell in love with the atmosphere and decor. Classic island feel with open bar, warm breeze, and team pennants stapled to ceiling and walls.

I had the nachos (small order) and my husband had the special- shrimp sandwich with coconut. Food was good and service was great.

There isn't much on Grassy Key, but this is a good choice right next to the Dolphin Research Center.

1  Thank wmtip
There are newer reviews for S.S. Wreck & Galley Grill

Reviewed October 9, 2011

Great food Great staff little pricey on some items but the food is excellent Grouper BLT the best I have ever had and the Key lime Pie was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stopped by this restaurant on a whim and were pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious (try the Mahi Specialty!) and the service was great. Our waiter, Chris, was very knowledgeable about the menu and his service was prompt and friendly. Also, save room for desert....their Key Lime Pie is the best around. Thanks for helping to make our vacation special.

1  Thank Elizabeth A
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We have been going to the wreck for years since we live nearby and the chef's salad has been very good. However, since the new owners took over, they got rid of their best evening waitperson. She was great and one of the reasons we looked forward to going there. Professional, quick, and friendly. Last weekend we went back there and again I ordered a chef;s salad . The cold cuts tasted old and cheap, the honey mustard tasted like it was made with very cheap mustard (almost uneatable), my wife got the Jamaican jerked chicken which was VERY dry and she took about 2 bites of it before giving up. Worst of all is that I keep two TIBB Bank debit cards in my wallet - one is a joint account and the other is a personal acct. I can tell them apart because I kept a sticker on one of them. Well, when I used it to pay, it was returned without the sticker. This is a minor point but extremely annoying. The sticker is not required to be removed for the card to be active and they took it upon themselves to do it. I've used this system for many years and who are they to be so presumptuous ...

I probably will return just to give them one more chance and to see if this was a one off bad experience; however, the deterioration of this restaurant has been steady since the new owners took over. The only reason I gave this 2 stars is because I hope it was a bad night and things may get better (likely wishful thinking). I would not recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Sophisticado
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We just got there as they were ready for closing yet they looked after us superbly.
Dont be put off by the look of the place from the outside, if you want a posh restaurant then try somewhere else, however if you want great service, superb food, friendly staff and Key Lime Pie to die for then put your backside on a seat and enjoy.
If you give this place a miss then you seriously have missed out on a little gem.