“Expensive”

Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Grassy Key
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Contemporary, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, beer & wine, provisions…get it here! Welcome to Grassy Key Outpost; an island market and grill. “The Outpost” is a “must stop” spot in the middle Keys. Its home at mile marker 58 has been a famed stopping point for travelers passing by and vacationers settling in, for generations. Today we are newer but just as comfortable. The concept for “The Outpost” was to create something to meet combined needs of a small island including exceptional local dining with hand-crafted fare; groceries and market fodder for home, vacation home, or on the water; a bar for cold drinks or a home-style lunch; a tropical patio for al fresco dining; along with food and fine wines to go. Our menus feature specialties like Fire and Ice Ceviche, hand-crafted oven baked pizzas, Classic ‘diner’ burgers and everything in between. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, the best authentic espresso west of Itlay,or for snacks at the bar, we’re here to welcome you and feed your soul.Whether dining or picking up provisions, at Grassy Key Outpost you can “Get It Here!”
“Expensive”
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We went for breakfast and it's definitely not cheap.

Steak and eggs was $15. It was ok, but the portion was nothing like I was expecting. At home the two of us could eat for that

The eggs and potatoes were good

Columbus, OH
“Dining Room is in the Grocery Store. Weird.”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

My companion and I stopped here for dinner on a weekday while driving through the Keys. Parking out front was not a problem. We walked in and were immediately confused. The bar was on our left, which was all dark wood and elegance. There were a few tables set for dinner in front of us by the windows, and in the middle was a grocery store like you would see at a gas station. We were promptly seated at one of the tables in the grocery store, which were the only tables there (beside the outdoor seating). Deciding to go with it, we went ahead and ordered. I got the lobster macaroni and cheese and a salad, and my companion ordered the burger with truffle oil for his fries. My drink order got flubbed, but was fixed eventually. Our server was super friendly, and was quick with things even after a few more tables were seated.

The food was high quality and good, but the prices were a bit high for what you were getting. I'd be willing to pay those prices if the location and/or ambience was better, but $6 for a garden salad that you eat next to freezer cases full of ice cream and Hot Pockets going wa-wa-wa-wa for your whole dinner is a bit much for me.

People would come in and shop for groceries while you were eating dinner, and a few of the tables were right next to the wine shelves. I can only imagine getting nudged or asked to move during your dinner so someone can finish their grocery shopping!

There was outdoor seating available (I think), but it was on the side of the restaurant, with no view, fenced in, and next to their big air conditioning units. It didn't look too appealing. The freezer case won out.

I feel bad knocking on this place because the people were friendly and the food was pretty good, but the value just was not there. I couldn't get over the fact we were paying huge prices for the luxury of eating in the extra space of a 7-11. I'd choose one of the other many restaurants with good food and picturesque views.

1 Thank TheChaoticHand
“THE BEST CALAMARI”
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Calamari is very good calamari is the best in the best and wine is delicious too pink lemonade is sweetly I think everybody must go

Stuart, Florida, United States
“Great Food, Friendly Staff!”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We are staying at nearby Conch Key, and we were looking for some place nearby for dinner. The locals recommended the food here so eight of us went. When we first arrived we were a bit confused, as the dining room is in the middle of a convenience store! There is outside seating, and it is oceanside, but rain was threatening so we chose to eat inside. There is also a bar area inside where you can eat or have a drink. The waitress immediately put a table together for us, and gave us menus and brought water for all. The menu has some interesting choices, so she explained some of the dishes. She was so friendly and helpful! We tried the Brussel Sprout Chips (a must try treat!!!), fire and ice tuna, and calamari appetizers. All were excellent. We were raving about how good it all was. Among us we ordered the meatloaf--a one pound serving of delicious home cooking that could have served three people! Also ordered was the pot roast--another winner. Two had the shrimp and grits. It was quite tasty but different than the Charleston kind. But we all tried a bite and loved it. Two others had salads--huge portions of fresh greens and great toppings. They have a large selection of beers, and many enjoyed their choices. So we had a WONDERFUL time there. We also noticed they have many options in the convenience store for wine, beer, and treats, so if you just need to stop in for that, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I highly recommend this place. Thank you, locals, for telling us about it!

Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Outstanding outpost !”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

We were headed back from Key West on our way to Miami. I read some reviews on this place and decided to give it a try. We are so glad we did. The place is very cute and clean. We chose to sit at the bar for lunch. We were greeted immediately and given menus. We both ordered large unsweetened ice tea. They were quickly served in giant mason jars. The tea was fresh brewed and not from a bag. We ordered burgers. Mine came with a salad of mixed greens and vinagrette, my husband opted for the fries. The food came out quickly. It was delicious ! The portions are generous to say the least. We finished off my salad and a half of burger each and boxed the rest to go. Of course that did not stop us from getting a milk shake for the road! From the service to the toasted burger bun , everything was top notch ! This is a must stop anytime you are near Marathon!

1 Thank slaraway0919