“Beach bargain Early Bird”
Review of Hideaway Cafe

Hideaway Cafe
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Grassy Key
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Brownwood, Texas
“Beach bargain Early Bird”
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Numerous offerings on the early bird menu including fresh fish, baked duck and shrimp. Start with a nice Caesar salad, a good sized entree with small plate of veg on the side. Seemed like you were being pushed into ordering wine and appetizers. We were given a choice to sit inside or the outside veranda. Outside was lovely and cool even tho it was in the 80's. Only about 4 or 5 couples took advantage of this special at 15.95.

2 Thank schluck

• Polish first
Georgia
“Cute place by the water but don't go there for the food.”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

The waiters seemed as if they didn't want us there. Maybe we didn't dress fancy enough for them. I thought you could wear shorts anywhere in the keys.

On the seafood special, the hogfish was mushy and didn't tatse lemony as the "francese' would suggest. The shrimp were overcooked, tough and tasteless, and the scallops were undercooked and tasteless. The waiter didn't seem to care.

The French onion soup was good and the escargot Edison were okay, nothing special.

My date and I did not enjoy being at the Hideaway cafe and were very glad to pay the check as soon as possible and get out.

We will never go there again.

Miami Beach, FL
“Overall an excellent choice in the middle Keys”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

last weekend, we were staying at Hawks Cay Resort and found the restaurant options VERY uninspiring. with the quick and easy search on my Droid, we found Hideaway Cafe only 8.9 miles away. (tip: there is no restaurant sign -- look for the Rainbow Bend Resort sign.)

the place looks very casual, very "keys" (as in don't bring anything dressy to the Keys at all). the atmosphere is like a trailor home in the air. THE VIEW IS NON-OBSTRUCTED OF THE WATER AND BEACH (OCEAN SIDE). however, the food was EXCELLENT and the service VERY good -- quick, knowledgeable, friendly. the place fills up a little later in the evening, mostly with locals -- a good sign.

everything we ate was wonderful. my brother in law had the largest lobster in the universe (another tip: Florida lobster seasdon ends 3/31.) it was perfectly cooked and a great value. the osso bucco was excellent and also a great value. the wine list is short, but farly priced. OVERALL AN EXCELLENT CHOICE IN THE MIDDLE KEYS.

Florida Keys
“A true Keys treasure.”
Reviewed March 12, 2010

We have been dining at the Hideaway for many years and have never been disappointed. The service is always friendly and unobtrusive. You never feel rushed so you can enjoy your dining experience at your own pace. The food has never disappointed. We have dined at many high end restaurants all over and the Hideaway ranks right up there. They also offer a nice wine selection as well as beer. You can't go wrong with the Hideaway for a special night out.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“'a truly surprising gem in the rough”
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Reading good reviews prepared me for this true hideaway! My husband said that he thought he would seem me turn around and walk away. A little wood shingle sign leads the way to an outside staircase. You so don't expect walking into white linen presentation and service. Moreover, the food was outstanding! An unseasonably cool evening made me a little apprehensive to sit on the enclosed porch, but it was comfortable and allowed for a great view of the palms, beach and once dark, the light from the dock shining on the peaceful still water of the Atlantic. I told the maitre'd/server that it was the best french onion soup ever. And, I was not embellishing at all! The sherry gave the broth a wonderful sweetness. My husband had the chateaubriand, and I had a wonderful vegetable-packed pasta made special for my vegetarian request, but will provide a minimum of two MORE meals this week! To close a wonderful evening in a great atmosphere, we shared the creme brulee - again, the best I've ever had. We both so enjoyed the evening.

1 Thank cindygolden