“Great food and service in a georgous setting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hideaway Cafe

Hideaway Cafe
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Grassy Key
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Great food and service in a georgous setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Loved the service, the food and the view. Pricy but worth it. I had the whole duck and son had the lamb chops - they were both great. I would rate the food a 9 (out of 10), service 10, location 10!

Visited April 2014

• Polish first
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Food & Good Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have to say we were taken aback when we entered this restaurant. It is at the rear second floor of a motel/resort. The steps to the restaurant were shabby with ripped outdoor carpet to say the least. However, when we entered the restaurant, we were greeted by well-dressed wait staff (no t-shirts here). The restaurant had a nice atmosphere and the rock fish we had was excellent. It was, without a doubt one of the best meals we had on the "Keys." We would certainly go back again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great start to the day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

As we were leaving the Keys for a long drive North, we stopped for some breakfast. We had a friendly greeting, great coffee choices and a very nice menu to choose from. The place was decorated in a cute Keys style. We both had a very tasty breakfast and a free refill of coffee to take on the road. Very friendly service was as satisfying as the breakfast.

• Visited April 2014
Marathon, Florida
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Excellent gourmet dining, great view! Walk on the beach before or after. Duck, rack of lamb, steak, seafood pasta, all excellent. Try the shrimp bisque!

Visited April 2014
Brooksville, Florida, United States
“VERY disappointing....very.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Maybe because we are much younger than most others in the restaurant (early 40s with our teenaged daughter) our waiter was quite surly. No greeting. No introduction. "What do you want to drink?"

But I can get past that. My concern is the food. Here the Hideaway Cafe came up woefully short.

I had the seafood special: hogfish in a light sauce with scallops and shrimp on the side. The shrimp were ok, but the rest was totally devoid of flavor. Worse, the breading/coating/whatever on the fish was soggy. My sides consisted of three baby carrots, two asparagus, and a dollop of potatoes. Cheaply done, and tasted like it. I will say that the lobster bisque was quite good, so not everything is complaint-worthy!

Ok, the bad news. My wife had the steak au poivre. It was horrible. When we left she told me that she would give the leftovers to the dog, but wasn't going to eat them. Why she didn't say that inside I don't know. I assumed that the chewy, grisly bite I had was just a one off, but I was wrong.

I would not have been happy here for $50, but I was off-the-charts unhappy about blowing $180 for this. If it wasn't for the bisque and the waiter's assistants this place would be 1-star. I can't fathom what they did to deserve so many good ratings, but it surely had nothing to do with the food.

• Visited March 2014