“Best dining in the Keys”
Review of Hideaway Cafe

Hideaway Cafe
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Grassy Key
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Birmingham, Alabama
“Best dining in the Keys”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The Hideaway will be your new favorite restaurant in the Keys. The food is delicious (especially the hogfish, the duck, and the lamb) and the service attentive. The view of the ocean adds to the ambiance. Robert and Gabor will soon have you feeling like a regular. We have eaten here several times since Christmas and have never been disappointed.

• Polish first
Davenport, Florida
“Bring Your Own Torch!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Visited this cafe on 27 January 2014 as we were staying at Rainbow Bend for a few days. We previously stayed here in 2012 and only ate breakfast which was fine. However, this visit for evening dinner proved to be very different. You reach the cafe by a set of stairs at the side of the building and enter a bar area where the staff greet you. We were shown to our seats in the enclosed patio area of the cafe and ordered 2 beers. When the waiter brought the menu it was clearly too dim in the cafe to read anything and after I commented on this, the waiter duly brought us a mini torch!! (Each table was lit with a very small night light candle in a holder).
Our starters arrived and they seemed to be reasonable, although my husbands crevette cocktail contained lots of lettuce and not much anything else. Before the entree's arrived I asked the waitress if we could have some knives as there were none on the table. She brought us two, but when my husband looked at his it was filthy. I called the waitress over and asked for a clean knife, she just said sorry and gave us another one.
When the entree's arrived, mine was sliced steak in garlic & brandy sauce, hubbys was chicken chasseur, they were both most disappointing. My meal tasted bitter and was bairly lukewarm, hubbies looked like a great carcass of chicken with hardly any chicken. Prices at this place are not cheap, so I decided to speak with the waitress and the manager appeared asking what the problem was. I explained we were not happy and that my meal was bitter and only lukewarm and he apologised, but said that garlic is bitter, which I disagreed with if it's cooked correctly. I said I didn't think that the alcohol had been cooked out enough and that was the bitter taste. He then asked what I wanted him to do, did I want them to cook me a steak or aother alternative. I said that by now we would be happy just to forget it all and leave. He produced a bill for the beer and starter with another apology and we left.
The next morning we had our breakfast which was fine, must have been another chef on duty! However what we did notice in the daylight was that the whole place needs a total renovation, there were mis-matched old tables and chairs which had been repaired with tape. Maybe that's why the evening lighting is so dim?
That said, the view from this place, when the tide is in, is quite something and with some cash spent on it the place could be quite good. Maybe a new chef would be a good idea as well!

• Visited January 2014
Springfield, PA
“Very unique and very hidden!”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

This excellent restaurant is well worth the stop. Reservations are a must but don't be fooled with the early bird specials. They have a nice selection of early bird dinners for $15.95 if you go Monday through Friday and be seated by 5 p.m., however, by the time you have a glass or two of wine and perhaps even a dessert you have spent well over $100 with tip. Regular menu is pricey. The owner is very friendly and conscientious about making certain everyone is accommodated and enjoying their meals. Food is nicely prepared and excellent. Certainly worth going there on a special occasion or when you don't mind spending those extra dollars for a fine meal.

Lebanon, New Hampshire, United States
“A Real Gem”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I love the quirky ambience of this place. Don't let the absence of a sign, or the location behind a nondescript motel fool you. This is worth the visit. Attentive service. Excellent food (try the roast duck). A unique, and satisfying experience.

WI
“Dinner at Hideaway Cafe”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We have been to Hideaway Cafe in Marathon on each of our previous 4 trips to Marathon and had a great dinner, prompting us to return. But this year disappointed us a bit. We had requested an outdoor table for 5 and when they sat us, it was near a window, but not on the outdoor porch. They indicated that none of the tables on the outdoor porch would accomodate 5 -- just up to 4. We would have appreciated knowing that when we made our reservations. The food was good, but not up to it's par based on previous visits and they forgot to bring several items we requested. In general, while it was a good meal, it was not great. We will probably skip this spot next year when we come down.