“Best vacation we've ever had!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya

Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
Southeast Georgia
“Best vacation we've ever had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

If you're doing your research for your upcoming trip, then you all ready know a lot about Xpu Ha Palace - the beautiful jungle setting on the ocean, the wildlife sanctuary, the cenote on site, the kayaking (though there's really only a little room in the small cenote for it), the spa services, the rooms with a double jacuzzi, double sinks, balcony with seating area and hammock, 24/7 room service, the swim-up bar, great slides in the pool for younger kids, the use of bicycles (though they've seen better days) and snorkeling gear, etc, etc, etc.

For us, this was the best vacation we've ever had. This was our first time at an all-inclusive resort. We never felt SO pampered in all our lives. The staff was PHENOMENAL! Everyone there was so friendly and helpful. We went to 3 other Palace resorts while there (Aventura, Playacar, and Isla Mujeres), and the staff at Xpu Ha was the friendliest. We were surprised how much we got to know some of them in a week, even with the language barrier (their English was definitely better than our Spanish). In fact, we got to know several couples and families, because this is a small resort and was not crowded, even during Thanksgiving week.
FOOD - The service couldn't be better. They were so attentive, without hovering. A dirty plate never sat on our table longer than two minutes. Our glass seemed to never get empty. Another reviewer said the food there left much to be desired. We seem to have been there around the same time. I can't imagine what he/she was talking about! Even the breakfast and lunch buffets were impressive in presentation and variety. The dinners were truly gourmet -artwork on a plate. Some of the best meals we ever ate were at Xpu Ha. We were glad they had authentic Mexican food, with some Mayan spices. We didn't want to come all the way to Mexico to eat Americanized food. Since Xpu Ha only has two restaurants (Mexican and Italian), I could see how some might tire of their choices after a week if this is the only place you eat (although they changed the Mexican menu in the middle of our week, and they had a special and completely different menu for Thanksgiving. My husband and I both LOVED the food). We ate at Aventura Palace (we had it's snack bar for lunch one day - sandwiches and fries - just fine, we had the lunch buffet another day - definitely sub-standard. I'm not a picky eater, but some things I put on my plate, I just couldn't eat. Was wishing I was back at Xpu Ha at that time. We ate at the Oriental restaurant for dinners two nights at Aventura - we really enjoyed it.) We ate at Playacar Palace one night after shopping in Playa del Carmen (we were hungry, but the circus show was going to start in 30 minutes, so we had an appetizer and drink at the bar. It was great. The bartender and waitress were very friendly and conversational. After the show, we had dinner at the Italian restaurant - great food and service there, too. What we saw of Playacar Palace, it had more of the look of a nice hotel, rather than a nice resort. Just didn't seem as nice as Xpu Ha or Aventura, in terms of asthetics). We also went to Isla Mujeres for a lunch buffet after snorkeling ( the service was terrible compared to the other resorts we'd been to. Granted, it's the smallest of the Palace resorts and gets crowded for lunch from tours. However, I saw several employees standing around who didn't seem to want to take care of the Palace visitors. A couple of times I tried to make a little small talk with the bartender while he was making our drinks. He simply ignored me (when I spoke both English and Spanish). When my husband left him a tip, he scoffed and threw it aside!!! This was the first rude employee we encountered at a Palace resort. The food at the lunch buffet was typical buffet food. It was fine.) In conclusion, in our experience, the food at Xpu Ha was the highest-quality, most authentic Mexican, beautiful and gourmet. Even their buffets are arranged to look as beautiful as it tastes. None of the other resorts' buffets took the care to do that.
ACTIVITIES - Being a smaller resort, there was one pool, with one side for kids and a swim-up bar on one side. It was certainly big enough for the small group of people there. As for the evening shows, we really enjoyed the Copoeilla (Brazilian dancing to drums). On two other nights, there was Karaoke, which turned out dull, since only a few people were there, and only a few of them participated, despite the enthusiastic efforts of the staff. Actually, most of the activities just lacked something because there were so few people there, which you may like if you're not a people-person and you just want to veg-out. We did enjoy the activities at Aventura better because there were more people. At times, it was just a little TOO quiet at Xpu Ha for us. As for the included local tours (like zip-line, Mayan ruins, water park, snorkeling on coral reef), we had a promotional rate through RCI that included everything except these tours. However, our first day there Manuel arranged for us to take a tour of Aventura Spa Palace (a 90 minute time-share thing) the next morning in exchange for two Palace Passports. It ended up being two hours, but was worth it for the free tours. We took four of them - Chichen Itza ( a long day, but I recommend it highly. To not go is like going to Egypt and not seeing the Pyramids), we saw the ruins at Tulum (what a beautiful area and beach! Take your swimsuit), we did the zipline at Holkan Park (I DO NOT recommend. It was no zip-line through the jungle. It was an ugly, muddy old quarry that they hung the ziplines over - there was no going through the jungle at all. My husband noticed the details (the riggings and platforms) and said it would never pass safety standards in the US. Another man there made the same observation. We were glad it was only two years old - it will undoubtedly run down quickly and be even more dangerous. There are other places there to do ziplines that have great reviews.) We also did the snorkeling tour at Isla Mujeres. I loved the island and the amazing water, however there were so many in our group, and so many other groups, that it was crowded in the water. They wanted us to stay together, but with so many people, we were kicking each other, It was kind of ridiculous. I think the name of this company was Paradise some-thing-or-other (Paradise Snorkeling, or Paradise Tours, perhaps. BTW, bring your own snorkeling gear - mouthpiece, at least. I was sure they must disinfect them, but when we returned after snorkeling and another group was waiting to get on the boat, I saw no efforts to clean the masks and mouthpiece. I believe they were going to hand out the mouthpieces that we just took out of our mouths!!! I hope I'm wrong about that). We did see some very beautiful and colorful fish, squid, and even a starfish. After lunch at Isla Mujeres Palace, they took us to do some shopping in their little shopping area. I really enjoyed the 45-minute ferry ride to the island and back. It felt like a party boat with the fun crew! They even handed out Tequila shots and some other mixed drink on the ride back.
ROOMS - The first room we were given (top room in 700 buildings) had an overpowering musty smell that we simply couldn't tolerate. They immediately sent someone to work on the air-conditioning (where the smell seemed to come from), but took us to a couple of other rooms in the same 700 buildings to see which we'd prefer. Actually, the other two had the musty smell, but not nearly as strong. We took the third, as the smell was only slight and not a problem. I'm not sure if it's because of the palapa roof (which I doubt, since the Lobby Bar and Restaurant has the same kind of roof with no smell), or if the air-conditioning in that area needs to be maintained better. The room itself was roomy enough for us 2. We loved the double jacuzzi and balcony with hammock. The toiletries provided were great. A little debris did fall from the palapa roof (even more when it rained), but it wasn't a problem. It was worth the natural feel of the property. Beware that the birds start their beautiful songs early in the morning, but it was fine, since we found ourselves going to bed earlier than usual, as things were so subdued there.
IN CONCLUSION - If the beach is important to you, don't come to Xpu Ha. Even if you do use the better beach to the left (Barcelo Resort's), still, the water itself wasn't nearly as nice as in Cancun or Tulum. I hear Sun Palace and Beach Palace have great beaches. If lots of planned activities on the resort are important to you, don't come to Xpu Ha. If you're looking to relax at a unique and quiet all-inclusive, if you want to be pampered with WONDERFUL service, if you want a friendly atmosphere, if you want great food, if you love animals, Xpu Ha is definitely for you!!! It's only been a week, but we miss it already! We can't stop thinking about our wonderful week here. Our little Xpu Ha has a special place in our hearts. Have a great vacation!!!
p.s. We also learned that when using other Palace resorts, you can request a hospitality room to shower. We loved that, since we usually went to one after a day of tours, then swimming in the pool or lagoon. We were able to clean up before dinner. My husband and I would take a backpack with a change of clothes. When we got to the resort, we'd go to the gym and request a locker to leave our backpacks ( so we wouldn't have to carry them around all afternoon), enjoy the resorts amenities, then come back for them when we got ready to use a hospitality room. Just ask for the hospitality room at the check-in desk where you first enter the resort. We will definitely use Palace resorts in future! So many great features in all their resorts!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank southernpeach72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Finnish first
Yakima, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

Stayed at Xpu-Ha Palace for a week with my husband. Loved the resort - beautiful, lush tropical setting. Chose this resort out of all of the palace resorts because it looked like "fantasy island" from the photos and reviews I read. The place was virtually empty - 12 rooms out of 119 occupied when we arrived, but by the end of our week more people were arriving. We were impressed that the whole place was opened up and running as if it were full. We had a room with a palapa roof which was fun, but it does drop small pieces of debris which one should be aware of. Did have a few small, harmless bugs in room - but somewhat expected this from the other reviews and was fine with that. After all you are in a tropical setting. Deck off of room was so nice and private with lots of tall plants/trees. The animals were so fun to be around - the cats, raccoons, cotemundes, iguanas - would usually see something as we were walking around. There IS a lot of walking - so expect it. We didn't mind at all as all of the paths are beautiful.

The service was good, had an issue with dinner taking TWO hours with only four tables being served. Don't know if it was the kitchen or the waiters. Also could have kept water glasses full as the waiters were standing around with nothing to do. But it was hard to get mad because they were all so nice and friendly. Please remember to tip these people, as I think they rely on tips to survive. As for the food - it was a bit of a let down. The dinner menu had many things to choose from - in my opinion there were too many choices for one restaurant, and consequently nothing was great. My advice would be to offer fewer choices, but do them well. On the other hand the breakfast buffet was very good. We ate at Aventura Spa Palace three nights and Moon Palace one night. The food at these places was a little better - but could stand improvement. Every salad with lettuce I ate there was room temperature - not cold. Also need more choices for salad dressings.

There are so many activities to do in the Riviera Maya area. We did an underground cave tour, Mayan ruins at Tulum, snorkeling in Cozumel, cenotes, and zip-line in Cancun. There were so many other things we weren't able to get to that looked great. It is definitely a benefit to stay at Palace Resorts because you can stop in at any of them and eat, drink, swim, etc. Our snorkeling boat dropped us off at the Cozumel Palace dock on the way back. We got off, rinsed off, swam, ate, then took the ferry back. It was great.

DO NOT rent a car there - we did and were sorry. Extra fees, taxes, and insurance were excessive through Hertz $717 USD on top of what I had already paid for the rental with my package. Not to mention the local police are after tourists. We were stopped twice and had to pay to get out of it. Come to find out rental cars in that area have orange on their license plates, not dark green like everyone else, so they are very easy to spot.
We will never rent a a car there again! Am disputing charges by Hertz, employees there were unable to explain what we were paying for.

Overall, I would definitely stay at Xpu-Ha again - liked it better than Aventura, Moon, Playacar and Cozumel Palaces because of the setting. Although very nice, the others were just big hotels/resorts which you can find anywhere.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kay1066
colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2009

This place was beyond my wildest dreams. It is far from Cancun, 1 1/2 hours in good traffic, but Puerta Aventuras is just 10 minutes away and has everything you need to schedule adventures, from Dolphin Discovery (which you get a buy 1 get one free with Xpu Ha) to parasailing to deep sea fishing. There are other places very nearby that you can go to, like Xcaret is very close and a new park, Xplor. There is really no need to go to Cancun or really travel further than 30 minutes away to do anything you want.
My only complaint about the resort is the rooms. They are not luxurious like in other resorts, but they are nice. The decor is nice and they provide excellent toiletry products, but the rooms are small and if you have children or teenagers that are staying in the same room, there is no privacy. We have an 8 year old son so we got a room with two double beds. The beds are small and the jetted tub is right behind the beds, the double sinks are in the same room with the beds. My partner and I were never able to take a relaxing jacuzzi together without keeping our bathing suits on. That was a bummer, but not a big deal. The toilet and shower are in a separate room, but is small and very humid. Having to get dressed in this small bathroom after taking a shower can be difficult. If you come down with Montezuma's revenge, as I did, it's hard to use the bathroom with any privacy. There were several times that my son had to use the bathroom when one of us was taking a shower. We had to drape a towel over the shower walls so he could come in. I could see if you had a teenager how that could be very uncomfortable.
Anyway, other than that, the place was fabulous. The balcony was huge and we had a few cats adopt us for the week, which my son absolutely loved. The nice thing about these cats is that the resort takes care of them, as with all the animals. Please take the animal lovers tour to find out how. The cats are spayed/neutered and clean. We also had raccoons and coatimundis come visit us. If you are not a morning person, however, this place is not for you. The birds start in at sunrise.
The staff's personal attention to us was phenomenal. Upon check in, we were given a cold towel with some kind of great fragrance to wipe our faces and glasses of wine. Then, someone came to our room with a bottle of red wine and fruit. Very nice touch. But, I really don't see how this resort stays open. There was hardly anybody there as other visitors have commented, which is a good thing for us because we hate crowds and party-type resorts. But, I really want to go back next year, so please go to this resort.
I highly recommend pod 4. It is the farthest away from the lobby bar where they hold the nightly entertainment, which we could hear from our room, but doesn't go late. This pod is also closest to the restaurants and pools, but is not a long walk. Our room was 411, which is on the opposite side from the walk path and very private. You can also grab a bicycle and keep it with you the entire time or ride in the carts that they constantly drive around to take you places around the resort.
The food was excellent. Buffet for breakfast and lunch, gourmet ala carte menu for dinner. I did not get sick from the food at this resort. I got sick from food I ate at Aventuras Cove Palace. The food was disgusting there. One point I should make, they offer the discounts for tours and spa for the 25th anniversary. In order to get those discounts, you have to go to another one of the Palace resorts for a 90 minute sales pitch for a vacation package, which is why we were at the other resort. But, they are pretty low key and not high pressure. We got a free spa day because of it, so it was worth it.
Unfortunately, we did not see the manatee, but snorkelers in the estuary saw it minutes before we got in, so they are there. There are two.
Our favorite staff members were Baxter, Jaqueline, David, Hugo, Sergio, Norma, Izmael, and Rosio. Baxter works mostly at the estuary and is absolutely wonderful with the kids. Jaqueline is the hostess at the restaurants and is sooooo nice. David and Hugo helped us schedule our included and not included excursions. They were very helpful. Norma works the front desk and is very nice. Sergio makes the absolute best margarita on the rocks at the lobby bar. Izmael is a waiter at the restaurant and is very funny and Rosio gives the best facial I have ever had. We also had a male housekeeper who made us towel art in our room every day, but we don't know his name. You can get 24/7 room service with pretty much anything you want. Everyone says hola and asks how you are. Not everyone's English is so good, but they try hard. Please tip a dollar to two. They deserve it.
The beach is as everyone says, nonexistent. But, just walk a short distance to enjoy a very nice beach at Barcelo. One thing that was cool though, because Xpu Ha's beach is so rocky, we saw what we think were several flounder swimming just feet away from the shoreline. That was cool. Do not walk to the right. There is a sign prohibiting entry to the still damaged part of the resort. We found out on the animal lovers tour that the army patrols that area with big automatic weapons to protect that part of the beach because that is where the lager head turtles nest and lay their eggs. It has nothing to do with any government scheme with that part of the resort. It has everything to do with protecting an endangered animal, which is what this resort is all about. They rank third in ecoparks only to Bora Bora and Costa Rica and have been featured on Animal Planet twice. They are still in the works to be featured a third time on Animal Planet. The only other park to have accomplished this was Yellowstone Nat'l Park.
I cannot speak highly enough of this resort and have no desire to go anywhere else. We plan on going back next year and the year after and the year after that, etc, etc. I have never felt that way about anywhere I have ever stayed. Please go and have the time of your life.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank zoezak
Carmel, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2009

We traveled with another family who had two small children. Xpu Ha was very quiet and the children enjoyed the animals, pool and kayaking in the estuary. We took advantage of the free shuttle between resorts and went to Moon Palace, Cozumel Palace, Playacar and Aventura. All the Palace resorts were nice but we made the right choice staying at Xpu Ha with the children because of how serene it was and we enjoyed the rustic feel. We loved that the entire resort was in the mangrove and enjoyed the natural, non-commercial feel. Also, please note that if you love the beach and are not willing to take the free shuttle to one of the other resorts, then this is not for you. Because of the destruction a few years back from a hurricane, the beach is rocky and almost non-existent. Xpu Ha was quite large prior to the hurricane and we were told they have only restored about 1/3 so far. We did walk along the beach and saw the ruins of the original resort. It is so sad that so much of the resort was destroyed. We also enjoyed being able to spend time at the other resorts and use their beaches and facilities.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lainie8
Lincoln, NE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I, and my parents had never been to Mexico before, but my brother and his family had. They had never stayed at this resort, but had at other Palace Resorts. We were enchanted by the ecological setting and loved all the animals. My 4 year old felt like Diego from "Go, Diego, Go!" exploring the whole place. The room service was available 24/7 and we had a jacuzzi tub in our room. There were 9 of us total, which was perfect as 3 per room is allowed. We just had one grandkid stay with the grandparents each night and they loved that too. We were there for a week and it was wonderful. There was snorkeling available in the senotes and we took a quick Tulum Express tour. One day we shuttled to Playa del Carmen and enjoyed the Palace Resort there. The all -inclusive resorts are definitely the way to go. We could order food from the snack bar and eat at the pool or in our rooms, or at the restaurant anytime. There were activities in the Lobby Bar each night and everythign was Kid friend. They also have a Kids Club available. The swim up bar was nice to relax at and there were impromptu water volleyball and water polo games always going on. The staff was wonderful and got the know the kids by name. They loved it! The staff made all kinds of little trinkets for them, including melting swizzle sticks in to pelicans and roses, taking a palm leaf and weaving into a grasshopper, and balloon animals too. This isn't a rip roaring party place, but offered our whole family a fun, relaxing time. We woud definitely consider a return trip!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank avsgirl19
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2009

First of all, please note that this is not a “party” resort… it’s more of a relaxation resort. So if you need to have activities going on all the time, if you need to party it up with tons of people, don’t go here. BUT if you want some nice private time with your spouse or family, this place is perfect. Now on to the review:

I have never been so impressed in my life! We arrived at Xpu-ha Palace at 3 AM (we were the only couple that got off the bus at this resort) and they quickly checked us in and brought us to our room. We ordered room service, which arrived fairly quickly. The next day, we realized that there weren’t many guests that week at the resort, and it felt as if we had the whole place to ourselves! I had the pool to myself on many occasions, we had the opportunity to snorkel alone for hours in their estuary, and the beach was also practically deserted… which was great for us!!!

Room: Absolutely beautiful. Sleeping under a palapa roof was quite the experience, and the double Jacuzzi was definitely a treat! Loved the shower, and the two sinks. A word about the person who wrote that there were bugs falling from the ceiling: yes, we saw a few, but not a big deal. They were tiny and not gross. No mosquitoes or spiders in the room.

Staff: Definitely the best part. They were incredibly attentive. They called us regularly to ask if we needed anything, and they made sure we were aware of all the features of the resort. They were bored and were more than happy to do anything for us. The rooms were cleaned twice a day – in the morning and early evening.

Property: So well maintained. The pool is beautiful and clean. The beach was rocky but we swam at the Barcelo beach, which is just a five minute walk to the left. Internet and long-distance calls were free, which was incredible!

Animals: We loved the cats that came to see us regularly on our balcony. The eco-tour on the resort is definitely worth doing, if you’re interested in feeding birds and deer.

Food: Oh my god, the food was amazing. Okay, so they may not have the selection that other places have, but ALL the food was great. The room service feature was a bonus, because we would have breakfast in our room before heading out early. Breakfast at the restaurant was a la carte, and so was dinner (2 menus). Lunch was a buffet.

Free Tour: Definitely a plus! We did three free tours that were offered for Palace Resort’s 25th anniversary: Chichen Itza, Tulum and Coba. All wonderful, if you like history. Chichen Itza is a new wonder of the world, so I definitely wanted to see that. Tulum was a half-day thing, and was absolutely beautiful by the sea. I enjoyed Coba most of all, because we had an opportunity to climb it. If you do any of these tours, keep in mind that you will be spending a lot of time on a bus and it is HOT. We didn’t mind… for us, it was definitely worth it.

Overall, EXCELLENT value!!!! I doubt any other place can compare.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mywonders
Québec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

We were looking for a quiet resort and that is what we got! No big party going on, no music on the beach.

We just loved our stay! The room was perfect, with Jaccuzi, water bottles, drinks included. We just loved the balcony! Our 2 and a half daughter took a nap in the afternoon and it was great to have a nice and spacy place to just relax while she was sleeping.

The staff was great, very welcoming, smily! Everybody wanted to make our stay the best possible! Special thanks to Lionel who was just amazing!

Also, the food was good. Though we are vegeterians, we did not have that much choice, but when the chef heard that we were vegetarians he prepared for us a special meal every night!!!!! And not just any meal, it was fine cuisine! Just for that, we would go back anytime!! We could also have room service anytime wich was quick and delicious!

Of course it is a shame about the beach, it would be nice if they could do something about that, but we did not miss it that much, we had the pool and Barcelo's beach.

Our daughter loved the animals, we felt like in a jungle not like in a big resort! They really do care for the environment and we appreciated it!

We really hope this place will be there for a long time!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jadavisa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#93 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,905 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#68 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,405 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,833 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!