We visited March 12-19, 2014. This was an experience unlike other vacation spots. Xpu Ha has very pretty natural surroundings, lighted paths for walking, wildlife running free and in captivity - great for kids and adults. The palapas we stayed in were unique and rustic, although a little small inside - if you're looking for a luxurious accommodations, keep looking. The food on the buffet was very good - we never ordered off the menu - we were never offered a menu.
Since the 2006 hurricane, which destroyed 2/3 of the resort, it looks like they retro-fitted a long skinny pool into the remaining land. It is nice and scenic. There is a chain link fence with privacy strips woven in along the entire length of the restaurant and pool which hides the old pool and palapas. No doubt Xpu Ha has had a lot to overcome with this loss.
The beach that remains is very narrow and rocky, but interesting for the kids to climb on and explore, and there are lots of cool shells - we even came very close to a slithering eel - twice!
My issues with Xpu Ha are these:
They do a below-average job of cleaning the rooms and replenishing towels and mini bar items.
You cannot get a meal at all times of day...the dining room opens for lunch at 1pm.
The pool bar closes at 5pm, so if you want a drink or want to turn in your wet towel in exchange for a towel card, you have to walk or take a shuttle to the front desk, or just keep it until the next day.
You cannot check out a bike until 9:30am - by then my kids are up so that quiet window of time is gone - and, they only have adult bikes.
The pool crowd was small - in fact - it seemed a little boring. There was a karaoke machine to play music and a guy who tried to get the small crowd going, but basically the pool experience was disappointing. The pool staff were all swimming one afternoon - I even saw a guest retrieve their ball for them!
The head waiter had one large table set up in the dining room, and unless it was available, he insisted on seating our party of 8 at two separate tables for dinner, although they were adjacent and could easily be pushed together. This was an upsetting struggle.
Staff always expected a tip...this includes onsite shuttle drivers, waiters, pool bar staff, and housekeeping. The front desk stated that tipping is expected, however,our travel agent said otherwise when we booked this all-inclusive trip. It is upsetting to feel as though you are disappointing the staff. Xpu Ha management needs to be clear with staff and guests, just like their neighboring resorts have, that there is NO TIPPING.
There is no night life, so if you like a party atmosphere, find another vacation spot. This is attractive if your kids are small or you appreciate the quiet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bel Air Xpu-Ha is the newly open Resort of Bel Air Collection at Riviera Maya. Feel with your family the natural environment, the perfect place to rest and delight yourself. A unique place for a romance experience. Enjoy our facilities surrounded by natural beauty in an eco-paradise. A gourmet experience in each of our restaurants, from Mexican-Italian fusion cuisine to sushi & martini delightful Japanese style, all in a la carte menu selection. Premium brand drinks and appetizing snacks in our Bars at Lobby and pool area. A unique layout of a cozy and peaceful guestrooms in liberate getaway with all the luxury and comfort of a five stars resort, refurbished indoors with jacuzzi and branding amenities; a relaxed exterior and a spacious terrace with hammock. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Odigeo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya Hotel Xpuha
- Xpu Ha Palace Xpuha
- Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya Mexico - Xpu-Ha