“half hotel for half price”

Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
New York City, New York
“half hotel for half price”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The half of the hotel that is closest to the sea was damaged by a hurricane a couple of years ago and the tropical forest is claiming it back. That gives the place a special feel (gorgeous, desert lagoon with plenty of wonderful snorkeling opportunities). The remaining half is very comfortable with spa baths inside the villas (I recommend the upstairs rooms) and plenty of animals around. One thing: the staff is extremely friendly, helpful and smiling. Was fun with 2 kids (5 and 8), including Santa Claus coming in our room. Recommended. NIce on spot restaurants.

Room Tip: ask for a room upstairs and far from the highway
1 Thank Fabricede

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Finnish first
Columbus Georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We arrived at noon and was quickly checked in and taken to our room. I had no idea was to expect, my first impression was "wow" lots of open air spaces and nature all around us. We had a cute little room with a king size bed that was amazing, a well stocked fridge, bottle water, and plenty of towels. Our room was clean, neat, and well prepared for our arrival. We enjoyed the the patio, along with the hammock. We went to eat and it was very authetic food of Mexico, good service, polite people, and a great selection of food. One day we got bikes for the day, this was fun, we had a couples massage one day, we partied at the pool, and we celebrated the New Years with a beach dinner with dance and music. I loved this resort, I am sure before the hurricane it was at its peak, you can see they are working hard to restore the resort. But, if you are with the one you love...any place is great. Loved it! We used Bookit.com
Gwen &Tony

Room Tip: We were located at the end of the resort where it was really quiet. I would of like to of been clos...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GwenBreazeale
Germany
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Worst checkin experience in my life. The hotel pretended they never received my confirmed reservation and told me they are 100% booked. After one and a half hours(!) of talking with the booking agency back and forth, and threats that they will have to pay for a relocation, suddenly there was a room available. The room stank and looked just run down.
In the end they admitted that they were lying to me that no rooms were availble.

You have to be driven with a e-car to your room or you might have to walk for 15-20 mins.

The rooms have a jacuzzi but it looks like 20yrs old.

The personal is slow and not responsive at all, let alone their careless attitude.

The beach is very small.

Dont spoil your vacation, dont waste your money.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank Vagenimi
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed December 29, 2012

It took 1.5 hours to get checked-in and we were the second people in line, Staff is impolite and not interested in helping, while management in non-existent. Rooms are incredibly far from the restaurants and pool, so if you don't want a 20-30 minute walk, you need to call and arrange for a ride in golf card. With all of the 1-star reviews I see on here, I am very skeptical that the average is still 4-stars.

2 Thank P12P12
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed in this hotel because my sister's wedding was there. I loved the hotel, it has the perfect balance between nature and comfort. If you are looking for a place to relax and connect with nature, this is the perfect place to go. Also the staff is really friendly (specially the lifeguard) and watching the manatees in their natural environment is a life changing experience. The rooms are really nice and clean and food isn't bad. After being at this hotel, my standards in ecoturism have changed.

6 Thank SolEspino
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked this hotel because I like to get to cancun early and I thought that since it used to be a palace it would compare thats why its not a palace resort anymore. The rooms were cool they were in a tree house (different) The resort has alot of good assets but needs alot of work. glad we only stayed one night I cut my toe badly on a loose brick while waiting for the taxi to leave they gave me a roll of toilet paper only because i was getting blood everywhere i'll have to learn to say first-aid in spanish.

Room Tip: Don't stay to long close your doors alot of bugs
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beachinmom209
Cancun
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I just stay in the hotel with the family, and everything was excellent! It was an adventure holiday; we enjoyed the resort landscape, all with nature, waking every morning with the songs of exotic birds and watching the sunrise from the terrace of my room lying in the hammock with a cup of freshly brewed coffee and warm pastries. When walking through the hotel you will see the local animals, crocodiles and more. This resort has its own zoo on premises including a nice aviary. The swim in the cenote, the guided tour inside the aviary and zoo was amazing. The food is excellent, all meals are a la carte and gourmets, excellent service, all the staff make us feel like at home! Congratulations on keeping everything with the natural environment! Great place to visit! We will back next year!

Room Tip: Choose the Top Bungalow Room, this way you will enjoy a nicer view and you will see beatiful birds!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank FernandoCancun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
#80 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!