“Peace and Quiet”

Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Looking for a quiet retreat in a great location then try this for size, but if you want fast paced living with full on entertainment and 5 star facilities this is probably not for you.

This location is eco friendly and the rooms my wife thought were like something from Robinson Crusoe domain, the bed in our seafront lodge wwas on the ground floor overlooking the sea, no beach as it was very rocky but peaceful to wake up and look right out to sea.

Our room had the bed on the base floor and two steps up to the toilet with shower and on the raised plinth behind the head of the bed was a jacuzzi bath, sinks etc.

Outside was the balcony which was massive, it had a large doube hammock and double daybed, rustic and wonderful, we could not have wished for anything better, it was perfect for us.

A small negative was the distance between the accomodations and reception, pool, bar and dining, which seemed to be in different directions, having said that this did also mean that we had privacy and peace and quiet, we still loved it and would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Johnsouthwest

Reviewed April 25, 2012

breakfast buffets were very good, other meals were not very impressive. We had rented a car so getting in and out was not a problem for us, about 15 min drive to Playa del Carmen. BTW, DO NOT fill your gas at the
Tulum gas station, we were scamed for $50. Google the word "gas station scam cancun" and you will find a lot of complain on this gas station. We should read about those complains before we go. Hotel kayak was free and fun.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank FunTraveller50
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Only downside was that the food was hit it miss - breakfast buffets were extensive and fab, rest of the meals were good to mediocre.

The rooms with balconys were just amazing! The nearby beach was lovely.

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank dbm2004
Reviewed April 7, 2012

My husband and I thought that Bel Air Xpu Ha would offer something different, and as nature-lovers we were especially excited to check it out. However, we were very disappointed with our stay back in January and felt misled by information we had gathered from reviews, Bel Air's website, and most of all from emails and online chats with their staff before our stay. Here's why:

1) POOR MANAGEMENT and lack of customer service: Our reservation through Expedia apparently did not register with them because we were not on the list at the gate when we arrived. Then the young man at the front desk was very evasive about giving us information. Prior to our arrival, I had emailed twice and online chatted with staff - each time mentioning the dates of our stay. I had asked about getting a 2nd floor palapa room as many reviews suggested. If this was not available, a simple apology would have been fine but instead we were misled into being told to wait 20 minutes, which turned into over an hour before finally getting to our room only to discover it was a 1st floor room! We were too exhausted to argue. Since I had just recently emailed with a manager, I sent an email from my room - NO ANSWER at any point during or after our stay. Their attitude seems to be to drum up business through Groupons/LS deals, get your money, and then not care how your stay actually went. When checking out, no one once inquired. Maybe they hope that since you got a deal, you won't feel entitled to quality service.

2) Food: Not inedible, but not good. I was so excited about the all-inclusive but was very disappointed. Wait staff was VERY inconsistent. Running out of beer when it was only lunchtime was only one of the smaller disappointments.

3) Beach: Their access is not pretty and does not make you want to lounge nearby. It is a narrow space leading to a rocky shore. We were prevented by the neighboring resort's guards from lounging on their beach, being told we could only walk along the shore. I thought the beach was what would save this trip, but nope.

Thank goodness the rooms were ok. This place could have potential, and I really thought the new management was going to do amazing things back in October when they re-opened. Sadly, they have a long way to go.

Room Tip: I would say ask for a 2nd floor palapa room but that's what started our long list of disappointm...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Monica K
Maramartinezxpuha, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Dear guest

Thank you for your review all coments are very important for us, we are so sorry to receive it until now since your stay in January, otherwise we had contact you before.
We truly apologice for the inconvenience you had at our resort, our purpose is to provide excellent service and create memorable experience we are so sad we did not achive our goul.
We thank your good coment in regard of the room, our housekeeping will be inform.
We are working to correct all the issues, so they would not happend any more.
We hope you give us the oportunity to stay with us so we can erase that bad experience, in case you agree please contact us mmartinez@belairxpuha.com.

Sincerely

Mara Martinez

Reviewed April 6, 2012

I'm a little late in my review so hopefully this resort has improved, but I would say the room (upper level) was great, the entire resort what beautiful with its natural areas but the food was average at best and the beach area was way too small. We were there during the off season (Feb.) so it was not crowded, unfortunately it was also not warm enough to enjoy any of the water activities.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura S

Dear guest

Thank you very much for your review, we apreciate your good coments in regard of the resort, specially the rooms.
We are working hard, every day to improve our meals, so we can also create a wonderfull experience as we did with your stay.
We hope to see you soon at your resort Bel Air Xpuha. do not hesitate to contact us for your return at mmartinez@belairxpuha.com

Warmest Regards,

Mara Martinez

Reviewed March 23, 2012

I stayed at the Bel Air from March 7 to March 14 with my husband and two other couples. I will preface this review by saying we had a great price on the place. Our charter package included airfare, room, all-inclusive food and drink, and transfers for a little over $1K/person/week through Apple (and this was during peak spring break season). I might have been more critical had we paid the prices I’ve seen for the place, at least twice as much.

There are definitely signs of growing pains with the transition to new management. Seems like people either hate this resort or love it; we fell on the pro-Bel Air side. The things we loved:
• Having the pool to ourselves – hate playing the towel game like one needs to do at the high-rise resorts
• All the nature – so many birds, butterflies, interesting mammals, the cenotes, and the lagoon
• The rooms – huge, comfortable, and private
• Things to do on-site – snorkeling, kayaking, walking, biking
• Staff – they were almost always accommodating and friendly
• Food – was actually pretty good, if you knew what to order, compared to other Mexican AIs at which we have stayed

We were lucky that a great community of people was staying at the same time. We met several other guests there (Hi Suzanne and Julie, if you’re out there!) and they helped make our stay really fun. Otherwise, as a general rule, I would have to say that one may need to “make your own fun” because the nightly entertainment was hit or miss. Not for lack of them trying; I think it’s just that there sometimes weren’t enough guests around to participate in the activities.

All the couples in our group were upgraded to the top floor rooms. The vaulted palapa roofs made these rooms gorgeous. Honestly, I would have to say that I would not pay extra for the upstairs rooms – I think the thatch needs to be worked on because twigs and other stuff (including the occasional bird poop) would fall from the ceiling! Otherwise, the rooms were perfect – huge decks facing the jungle, mini-bars that were kept filled every day, spacious rooms with ample storage, comfortable beds, clean with no musty smell, and we did not have issues with hot water. When we first checked in, we were given a room where the air conditioning didn’t work. It was a bit of a hassle because they tried ineffectually to fix it twice until we talked a higher-up person who immediately switched us to a new room. Really, it was just a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things and not something that put a damper on our vacation.

We all really enjoyed the breakfast buffet, especially the Mexican items. I absolutely loved that breakfast lasted until noon (please don’t change that, management!). After the big breakfasts, we would usually just get a snack from the pool grill for lunch. Some of the things there were pre-fab, frozen things such as the fries and mozzarella sticks (not that these things don’t hit the spot after you’ve had a cocktail or two!), while others like the hamburgers and chicken fajitas were fairly decent. The restaurant was also open for lunch starting at 1pm so there were some options there if you didn’t want fast food from the pool grill. For dinner one night they had a Mexican buffet and, even though I usually think buffet food can be dubious, it was everyone in our group’s favorite dinner. I agree with other reviews that said the dinner menu got boring; that is, unless you knew they took requests. They were really quite accommodating in this respect and would make you other things within reason. Sushi and steak were not so good, but that is the case for pretty much all the Mexican AIs at which I have stayed. I think they include these things because Americans associate them with luxury. However, they are rarely done to the level we are used to. There are so many other aspects of cuisine that they do well in Mexico such as grilled pork, chicken and seafood – I would prefer a focus on those!

Notes to management for the future:
• Train staff to be consistent, not only in service, but also in food and drink preparation. Consistency would definitely help manage people’s expectations. A couple of times people at the pool and restaurant forgot our orders completely. Or a menu item could be very different from one night to the next.
• Another example of consistency are the signs at the “bus” stops that say a cart will be by every 10-15 minutes – this absolutely was not the case.
• Provide “Do Not Disturb” signs. Every morning we had a maid knocking on our door before 9am.
• Create guest books with pertinent info about the resort, such as how to dial between rooms (5 + room number, by the way), the times that the store and snorkel shop are open, etc.
• Develop a really good and detailed map with the paths so people can orient themselves on the property immediately.
• Change the policy on signing receipts for all food and drink orders. It was annoying and they weren’t even consistent with getting the signatures. Other AIs don’t do this signing off on everything and get along just fine.

Let me emphasize that the few inconveniences we experienced were pretty minor and actually pretty typical of what can happen when you stay in a foreign country; we would definitely stay again for the right price!

This is a long review because I hope to help others who are considering the Bel Air; I know we had a ton of questions about the place once we booked. This place is undergoing renovations and upgrades with the new owners so who knows for how long my information will be valid. So sometime in the near future, the Bel Air will most likely be a quite different place. Happy Travels!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank KrisMN
Reviewed March 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned yesterday from Bellair Xpu Ha. Yes, we read the reviews before we left and thought about switching resorts but as we are both not picky people, we decided to give Xpu Ha a chance. BIG MISTAKE! Our vacation started nicely and ended in a DISASTER! Not because of the food (which was sub-par) or the lack of beach, or lack of night time activities(entertainment ends at 10pm) or the hurricane damage(which I found interesting) but because we had $ STOLEN FROM OUR SAFE!!!!!!!!!.Upon arrival Monday we got a tour of the resort from the cart driver. We were brought to our room which was a second floor and immediately fell in love with it. It was gorgeous. We decided to head straight down to the pool area and the swim-up bar. Luis and Benjamin were bartending and were very friendly and excellent bartenders. Genny was the poolside waitress and she is the sweetest young lady you could meet, always has a smile on her face. We quickly forgot about the bad reviews we read on trip advisor. But things went downhill FAST! On tuesday morning we were supposed to meet with our Apple Representative at 11 in the lobby. Before we left, we placed our money and other personal items in the safe and tried to close it. The safe door fell off the safe in my boyfriend's hands. We told the receptionist in the lobby about the safe issue and she said she would report it to security. Friday upon returning to our room we discovered our safe, the same broken one we had had since we arrived, was still open. We checked the contents and realized a $100 bill was missing from my boyfriends wallet. The money missing is'nt what bothered us. Its how the situation was handled by the hotel staff that was disturbing. We contacted security and the concierge and security arrived to our room with a brand new safe within minutes. The concierge was friendly at first and then started to more or less interrogate us. He became offensive. He asked us to fill out an incident report which we did. He also showed us pictures that they had taken of our ENTIRE ROOM while we were poolside. We were never notified this had gone on in our room until we reported the money missing. We felt completely violated. The concierge said he would do an "investigation" and let us know the outcome within 24 hours. He made perfectly clear that the resort was not responsible for lost items. The following day our room key wouldnt work so we went to the lobby to get a new one. Upon entering our room we discovered that our 2 other keys had been stolen from our room, our door lock was broken, and our safe had been tampered with because my boyfriend could not access it with our code we had set just a few hours prior. We once again contacted security and the concierge came with security and questioned us again about the $100 missing the day before. He asked us to fill out another incident report and we told him one was enough, we had wasted enough time on this situation. The concierge never once apologized for the inconvienience caused by this situation. He made it seem as if his staff couldnt have done such a thing and we were making it up. We felt more like criminals than victims. For the rest of our stay, wherever we went, security watched us like hawks as if we were up to no good. Upon talking to other vacationers, they also said they had issues with their safes and 2 other couples claimed to have money missing as well. We notified our Apple Representative and he spoke with the same concierge we had dealt with over the past 2 days and security and they denied him access to the report we had filled out and anything dealing with the situation. We could have gotten over the rest of the drawbacks you read about on trip advisor but having our privacy violated and to be treated like guilty parties instead of victims is something that we will never forget.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
19  Thank erin84lewis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#30 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#68 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!