This was our first trip to Mexico, so we didn't have a lot of knowledge/expectations going into it. We paid for a private transport via USA Transfers. They were very quick, and kept the van cool during our 45 minute drive to the resort.
The resort lacks curb appeal as mentioned in several other reviews. However, I felt the front desk service was friendly and prompt. The room was clean, large and luxurious. We booked the honeymoon package, which included several perks. Unfortuatnely, we never got our chocolate covered fruit OR our room door decorated as others did. However, the beach dinner was amazing and the spa was unforgettable.
The food on the resort is quite good - I highly recommend the Mexican restaurant as well as the beach front buffet for lunch. The service is very good and you should tip.
Beach suggestions - Make sure to get down to the beach early and reserve your chairs by putting a towel on them. It fills up quick, so the earlier the better. There were several smokers on the beach which I didn’t like, but there was nothing we could do about it. They resort hosted activities, but most of them catered to the Italians and we didn't particpate in anything. We met another couple from Chicago while there, but mostly kept to ourselves. We spent the majority of the morning on the beach and then moved to the pool in late afternoon. The pools on the property are beautiful, but unfortunately close way too early.
I highly recommend that you pack bug spray and lots of sun screen. Some people suggest bringing your own cups, but I don’t think that is necessary. We also brought $50 dollars in ones, which were useful for tipping throughout the week. Otherwise, you don’t need a lot of cash. The resort has hammocks and ping pong tables, which made for some fun afternoons. If you can afford it, I recommend you check out the spa. It was incredibly tranquil and reasonably priced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adults only all-inclusive resort, located in Xpu-Ha, Riviera Maya, on the Caribbean coastline. It is surrounded by native jungle trees, local plants, mangroves and cenotes - water springs where a diverse variety of flora and fauna can be found in an unspoiled habitat. It is just 25km from Playa del Carmen and Tulum's archaeological site, and 85 km south of Cancun International airport, in Quintana Roo State, Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Catalonia Royal Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Xpuha
- Riviera Maya Copacabana
- Copacabana Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Riviera Maya, Mexico - Xpu-Ha