“Honeymoon at CRT”

Catalonia Royal Tulum
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was our first trip to Mexico, so we didn't have a lot of knowledge/expectations going into it. We paid for a private transport via USA Transfers. They were very quick, and kept the van cool during our 45 minute drive to the resort.

The resort lacks curb appeal as mentioned in several other reviews. However, I felt the front desk service was friendly and prompt. The room was clean, large and luxurious. We booked the honeymoon package, which included several perks. Unfortuatnely, we never got our chocolate covered fruit OR our room door decorated as others did. However, the beach dinner was amazing and the spa was unforgettable.

The food on the resort is quite good - I highly recommend the Mexican restaurant as well as the beach front buffet for lunch. The service is very good and you should tip.

Beach suggestions - Make sure to get down to the beach early and reserve your chairs by putting a towel on them. It fills up quick, so the earlier the better. There were several smokers on the beach which I didn’t like, but there was nothing we could do about it. They resort hosted activities, but most of them catered to the Italians and we didn't particpate in anything. We met another couple from Chicago while there, but mostly kept to ourselves. We spent the majority of the morning on the beach and then moved to the pool in late afternoon. The pools on the property are beautiful, but unfortunately close way too early.

I highly recommend that you pack bug spray and lots of sun screen. Some people suggest bringing your own cups, but I don’t think that is necessary. We also brought $50 dollars in ones, which were useful for tipping throughout the week. Otherwise, you don’t need a lot of cash. The resort has hammocks and ping pong tables, which made for some fun afternoons. If you can afford it, I recommend you check out the spa. It was incredibly tranquil and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 617MeganC

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We visited the Catalonia Royal Tulum resort & Spa from October 13/2013 to October 20/2013. The rooms and showers are nice and BIG which was a bonus for us! The bar staff and restaurant staff are wonderful! The front desk has 1 employee that is not very nice and totally lacking manners. The food is good, but they messed up our orders…a LOT! Once a meal, the a-la-carts would get the order wrong, so we did not always get what we ordered. My fiancée and I each ordered the same meal on more than 1 occasion and our plates were never the same. Her biggest complaint about the resort was the food. It was edible, but not great. The room-cleaning service leaves something to be desired (this was my biggest issue with the resort). I do not have high standards: I want a clean room, lots of towels, and what the website promises. On our first day, the room was supposed to be ready by 3:00pm. We finally checked in at 4:30pm and the floors were wet (we didn’t know – I almost slipped and fell when we walked into our room because we were not warned and there was no “wet floor” sign near our door…the A/C barely worked…we did not get all the amenities the web-site promised (we had to ask for them)…we were 2 people staying in the room and we were given 1 towel each and 1 pillow each. Asking for more towels, pillows or blankets upset the front desk! We had to ask for our floors to be swept because we got sand on the floor from the beach. If you do not ask for something to be done, they will not take the initiative to clean it or supply it for you. They never ONCE cleaned any of the mirrors in our room – we got there the 1st day and they were filty (I had to complain about the condition of our room on the 1st day & the 5th day). The mirrors never got cleaned and the cleaners did not pick up any of they were just as bad. Otherwise – pool is great, nightly entertainment is not bad, daily activities are lots of fun to participate in or watch, beach is gorgeous, wild animals on the resort are tame (and adorable), drinks are good (pool-side service is a nice feature they offer to all guests!). One final downside: this resort caters to Italians and they have their own service for anyone Italian. If you are not Italian, you really don’t get the best service. We witnessed it first hand, along with a couple of other people we talked to.

1  Thank Vanessa G
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just returned from the CRT. In Canada, it is rated as a 4 1/2 stars and it is just that.

The pros:

small resort, independent not joined to other complexes. Five minutes from everything
beach is absolutely stunning, the best I have seen in the Riviera Maya
lounge chairs at the pool and beach are comfortables, not the plastic ones
Enjoyed the outdoors restaurants (especially the Tapas)
Room is nice and clean and very quiet, plenty of towels
Beach towels – you bring them back at night to your room and during turn down the put new ones
No dress code whatsoever – men can wear shorts at dinner, husband was quite delighted not to have to wear long pants, closed shoes and shirts for supper especially when eating outdoors.
All the staff was very nice and attentive and always made an effort to speak to us in French. The reception staff and some of the waiters spoke fluent French, very impressed!
The smoothie bar on the beach is a big plus
Very quiet resort, not a party place
Spa – went for a massage and enjoyed the facilities (whirlpool, sauna, steam room and relaxation room). I do recommend. They have specials almost every day on massages. We got the couples massages which were excellent for 80 minutes each for $170 US total.
Servers on the beach with great service. The use recyclable plastic cups that are big and nice, not those stupid 3 ounces cups.
There is a lifeguard on duty during the day and if you try to feed the fishes, he will let you know by whistling loudly. Apparently, it attracks the barracudas and is prohibited. Good thing!
While there is security at the beach during the day and at night, you are allowed to go to the beach at night and enjoy the view and the moon; this is a first for us on vacation.

The cons:

While everything I ate was actually good, the variety was not that impressive. The a la carte restaurants are basically the same restaurants used at breakfast and lunch (except for the tapas), they lack a bit of ambiance.

There should be an outside bar for drinks at night.

Overall we had a very nice vacation and enjoyed ourselves very much. If you are looking for a quiet relaxing casual place with a great beach and good food this place is for you. If you are more on the fancy side and enjoy a spectacular room with lots of fancy food, dress code (basically looking for a 5 stars hotel) and lots of activities and nightlife, this is not the place for you.

Never heard the loud music mentioned by other reviewers and the Italians they are just like us enjoying their vacations, I did not feel that they had preferential treatment whatsoever.

6  Thank Linda P
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband & I stayed here from 10th to 24th October, booked through Thomson in the UK & it was our first time to Mexico & only our 2nd all-inclusive. We were originally booked for the Palladium, but switched to here after learning about all the construction work taking place at our original hotel. This was the best decision we made!

Flight: flew from Gatwick on the Dreamliner in premium both ways - crew excellent & lots of drinks offered. Landed early at Cancun but had to wait a while for a gate before we could disembark.

Took us about an hour to get through Cancun airport & managed to get the green light at Customs. I'd ripped off our Thomson hand luggage labels before we got to the time share tank, but they're still persistent. A few 'no, gracias' & we were outside to meet our USA Transfers greeter for the journey to the hotel.

Check-in was quick & easy, given a fruity melon cocktail & a nice cold towel. We'd booked a honeymoon room & were given 4202 which was on the top floor in the Luna building. We walked to our room rather than grab a lift with our luggage, as we were too excited to wait!

Room: air conditioning worked very well, lovely big comfy bed. Shower was massive, although the water pressure wasn't too good sometimes & on one occasion the water came out a funny orangey brown. Bathroom was stocked with shampoo, shower gel, body lotion, soap & a few other bits such as a comb, sewing kit etc.

Plenty of storage space in both the wardrobe & drawers. The fridge was well stocked with soft drinks, beer & water. A 4 cup coffee maker is also supplied on the separate desk..Had a separate table & chairs in the corner, which came in handy for room service.

Our balcony had a hammock, along with a table & 2 chairs, although we did take the hammock down as we thought it took up too much room.

Beach & pool: stunning, looked exactly the same as the pictures in the brochure. White soft sand & a gorgeous blue sea. Pool was a nice size & we were glad there wasn't a swim up bar.

The towel game was in effect when we were there, especially on the beach with the palapas, which was entertaining to watch. Plenty of palapas around the pool if you need shade. The chill out area has a small plunge pool with daybeds scattered around if you fancy an afternoon snooze.

Food: breakfast buffet was large & varied, loved the freshly made omelettes & eggs. Plenty of healthy options to choose from if you wanted, such as fresh fruit, muesli etc. Loved being able to have smoked salmon with my scrambled eggs. Didn't think much of the orange juice, tasted far too sweet for our liking. Loved the coffee machines & being able to get an espresso or cappuccino at any time was great.

We tried all of the a la cartes & thought the Mexican (Centenario) was the worst - food was cold, stodgy & plain unappealing & we never stayed for dessert. Our favourite was the tapas (Terrace), along with the great cocktails:) The Italian (Toscana), the Thai (Tao Cat) & the steak house (Royal Grill) were all nice & we had some great meals in there.

Had the continental breakfast one morning at the pool snack bar which was fine - croissants, toast & fresh fruit.

The lunch buffet was good, again, plenty of choice with grilling stations for meat, fish & a pasta station too. Loved the ice cream there, but never did get to try the coconut one! Dinner buffet was just average, although there was always something you could find to eat.

Drinks: we felt some were watered down on occasion, especially the beer at the poolside snack bar. Hubby said the white house wine was drinkable, although he did buy a few bottles of Rose for some evening meals. If you feel your drink is a bit weak, just ask the bar staff to add more vodka etc & they'll happily oblige:)

Grounds - it was nice being able to take the short stroll from our room block to the lobby / pool / beach. It took about 5 minutes at a very leisurely pace, looking at all the wildlife such as the coatis, squirrels & iguanas. It was very peaceful at night, sitting on the balcony having a drink before going for dinner. There's also a beautiful little grey cat that sits on the wall in the evening near to building 2, who's rather partial to pouches of chicken Whiskas:)
A few times a week the hotel brought in outside vendors that would set up their stalls just outside the lobby, be prepared to haggle!

Entertainment: never went to the disco or any evening shows, so can't comment on those. Yes, there is the Veraclub there for the Italian guests, but they did come round & interact with you & we never felt excluded. Also didn't find the music played during the activities on the beach & around the pool loud, & I like my music loud sometimes:)

Tipping: we tipped every day, not because we felt obliged to, but because we received great service. The staff work so hard on a daily basis to make sure you have a great holiday. We didn't see many Brits tipping when we were there, which was a shame.

Staff: we had great service from all the staff we encountered during our stay. Nothing was too much trouble for them & when they say 'it's my pleasure', they actually mean it. A BIG thank you to reception for dealing with the drunken problem neighbours in 4203 who proceeded to smash up their balcony & room the first Saturday we were there & kept everyone around them awake till 3.45am. Glad they were moved!

Another thank you to Armando & Daniel in the buffet, Aremy the poolside waitress,Paulina the lobby waitress & Gener our housekeeping person, for the great service we received:)

Would we recommend this hotel? Yes, without a doubt. We enjoyed it so much, we're looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms get the sunlight, handy for drying things off on the balcony
9  Thank gobofraggle
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed at the CRT from 10/18-10/24. It was our first time at this resort, but not to the Riviera Maya. I’m an easy going traveler & will give you a detailed and honest review. The Good & the Bad.

Curb side appeal is lacking. No grand entrance way, ugly loading dock to the right, painted concrete wall. The lobby was very very close to the highway so at times you could hear traffic/police sirens passing by while trying to enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail. Kind of killed the ambiance.

Check In was unimpressive. We arrived by private transport & got virtually no greeting. We had to navigate our own way to the check in desk & actually had to ASK if we could check in. No towel, no drink. We told them at the time of booking, on their Face book page & by email one week in advance that we were celebrating our 24th anniversary… it was never acknowledged. Not a deal breaker but disappointing since I’d seen others get banners on their door & such. We were also repeatedly told at check in that there was NO DRESS CODE at the restaurants.. None.. Only to be turned away at the dinner buffet our first night because of my husbands t-shirt… he changed and we returned to see a man wearing nylon shorts so short I could virtually see his religion when seated.

We were assigned room 3013 and whisked away. As soon as we opened the door we went to the balcony to find an infestation of huge ants all over it, hundreds of them; so bad that we would never have been able to open the sliding door. When the luggage arrived we asked to be moved. So back to the lobby we go. They promptly moved us to room 4104 (which thankfully had no infestation). But the keys didn’t work. So back to the lobby to get them changed out. The room itself was clean with adequate amenities but certainly not awe inspiring. Based on the hotel lay out & what I've heard about the Junior Suites, definitely not worth an upgraded fee (which they tried to sell me when they noticed my top floor request - odd since I thought only rooms in buildings 5 & 6 were the upgraded rooms). Notably no place to sit and eat room service, unless you wanted to eat solo at the desk. Air conditioning was very cold. Housekeeping was good, clean room, towel animals & stocked fridge everyday. On occasion I thought turn down service (when they switch out the beach towels) was a bit late (around 9pm on some nights), but perhaps we are just early birds.

I did like that the resort was on the smaller side & easy to navigate, with bigger resorts it can sometimes take 1-2 days to get your bearings. CRT was straight up & down with six buildings lining the jungle covered center walkway that took you from the lobby area at the front to the pool/beach. The covered walkway was nice because it was always a cool shaded walk where ever you were headed. The lobby area had a shop, Margarita bar, Disco, Mexican restaurant, Le Selva (breakfast/dinner buffet), Italian restaurant, Tapas & theater. The pool/beach area had the spa, chill area,, a small shop, Tequila bar, Sorrento (burgers/pizza/continental breakfast) which we think doubled as the Thai at night, La Palapa (lunch buffet) which doubled as the steak restaurant at night.

We ate at all but the Thai & Tapas restaurants. Food was adequate, some things were good, others were not. You could certainly find something that you liked. During the first few days there was no bacon, anywhere. Most notably at breakfast; instead they would have various sausages & on one day cut up hot dogs (and the ever present chicken nuggets). After a survey that they were asking people to complete one morning at breakfast, we commented on the lack of bacon, it seemed to appear fairly regularly after that. We did have a special dinner at the steakhouse where they sat us alone on the opposite side of the restaurant apart from the regular seating but I would have rather had a ocean front seat, not by the dumpster area where a huge raccoon (an actual raccoon not a Coati) stopped by to visit us while we dined.

The beach was very nice, white smooth sand & the ocean front was perfect for swimming, perfectly sandy bottom with an abundance of angel fish swimming about. Virtually no seashells which made for a nice powdery beach but not very interesting for wanderers/collectors like myself. The water was smooth as glass the first two days, progressively rougher as the trip progressed but still very enjoyable even on yellow flag days. I saw them raking up seaweed on the beach front a couple of days but the lack of cleaning up cigarette butts/straws/last nights cocktail glasses amongst the sand around the loungers/palapas was disappointing. You could walk a nice distance in both directions on either side of the resort but the ugly fence shielding the adjoining property was an eye sore in my opinion. There has been mention of blaring music on the beach, we did not find that to be true… during brief times (aqua aerobics/dance lessons) but nothing unbearable. During the first two days (Sat/Sun) we found the beach to be overly packed with very chatty/loud large groups of early drinkers which was more of a disruption. The small footprint of the resort resulted in the beach feeling very cramped. Luckily by Monday the resort seemed to thin out & the mood became entirely different, more relaxed & peaceful. We did go out once on the catamaran, which was fun, sign up early.

The pool was nice not huge but plenty big enough for the resort size, a bit aging but nothing to complain about (other than a missing light & about 3 feet of exposed wiring underwater). I didn’t think I would, but I did miss a swim up bar. There was wait service at both the pool & beach but it could take upwards of 20 minutes to get your drink. It was quicker & easier to walk to the bar yourself. I also found the lack of readily available bottled water (other than in your mini fridge) very odd. You’d have to go to the bar to ask for a cup of ice water. The warm hot tub was nice but the ‘ambient’ one was a bit gross, funky discolored foam build up that we avoided at all costs. We brought a float but found a stash of recently ‘donated’ floats right behind the Pure Chill area sign (tip if you need one!)

There was regular entertainment during the day (the Veraclub staff). Always the same every day & not a whole lot of variety - stretching, volleyball, aqua aerobics, dance lessons, bingo - all located between the beach/pool area. Other resorts I’ve visited had much more of an itinerary of things throughout the day with some variety day to day. I felt they could have stepped it up in that department with very little effort. A tequila tasting, kitchen tour, daily poker game etc.. would have done wonders. I’m glad we had perfect weather because I don’t know what we would have done if we had bad weather entertainment wise. We also found a nice area to relax during the evening was lacking. There was a small area by the Margarita bar but no smoking. Your only other option was around the lobby where it could get really humid & uncomfortable. Also on the nights when they brought vendors in, they’d take up some of that precious lobby seating. A sports bar would have been nice as well. We didn’t stay for any of the shows but the theater looked quite small nor did we visit the disco (just not our thing) or the spa (prices looked to be normal for an AI but out of our budget for this trip).

For only having two bars at the entire resort (also a bit disappointing - variety is the spice of life!), I found the constant “running out” of the liquor (a pretty much nightly occurrence) unacceptable. They’d have say Johnny Walker then half way through the evening they’d run out & then it would miraculously be available again the next morning… clearly not an issue of them running out, just a lack of a bar back to replenish during peak hours. Paulina at the Margarita bar was excellent, however, another trainee in that area didn’t even know basic drinks (or maybe adequate English?), she would constantly try to swipe the ashtray with a ½ finished cigar still sitting in it.

Would I recommend CRT? Yes. Would I return? Probably, but… while the beach was beyond fabulous, this resort is built for pure relaxation and I think the lack of variety of night options would find me bored for any longer than 3-4 nights. I’m thinking a split stay between CRT & my favorite resort (VIM) is in order for our next visit to the Riviera Maya. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions!

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor in building 3 or 4
11  Thank drgnfly30
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Where to even begin... We just returned two days ago from CRT and it was a trip to paradise...

It took us exactly an hour to get there from Cancun airport. We used USA Transfers, which was great. Really great to deal with, reasonable and private transfer, so no stopping at other hotels...

Check in was extremely easy. We got there at 1:00 and were told that our room was not quite ready; that they were washing our curtains and if we didn't mind that, that we could go there right away and freshen up and enjoy lunch. We purchased a junior suite ahead of time and were assigned a corner room in building 5, one of the two closest to the beach. Great location! Two minutes walk. Building 6 is possibly a few steps closer but both buildings are awesome to be near the beach. The walk from the lobby to either of these buildings took five minutes or a little more but only because we took our time to enjoy the incredible jungle scenery and wildlife. Room was very nice and the cleaning staff was great. Always a different towel animal left for us on our bed. We tipped every day and were supplied with extra beer as well with a note requesting it.

The beach is absolutely stunning. Probably one of the best you'll find anywhere. The sand is white and soft as flour and the water is clear/turquoise blue. Incredible visibility and lots of angel fish swimming around. As others have mentioned, people do play the towel game but we never had a problem pulling a chair down under a palm right in front of the water. Nice expanse to walk. Almost like a private beach. Got a little busier on the weekend but only marginally. We went to the beach for sunrise one morning and it was truly spectacular. Got to see some turtles that had just hatched, including an albino, which is, apparently really rare. Collected some hatched eggs to bring home to show my kids. Beach is so amazing that we walked up and down the beach to find other non-adult only options, so that we can take our kids.

There is one pool but it is very large and very sufficient to the number of guests. Warm and beautiful. Nice pure chill area with small, shallow pool with chairs submerged and several beds to relax in and take an afternoon siesta.

The food, overall, is really good. The breakfast buffet has a wide selection, including eggs/crepes/pancakes made to order, as well as menu service for quite a few items. Lunch is a really great buffet including pasta/fish/beef made to order, sushi, salads, salad bar and many other really good items and the view... We sat along the edge of the restaurant overlooking the beach each day. So amazing! We ate at the Italian restaurant a couple of times. Really good. Tried the tapas. Appetizers were not great but our main course was pretty good. Tried the Mexican, which was just so-so and the dinner buffet after, which was pretty good. The great thing is, that if you don't like your restaurant choice, you can move on to the next. The no reservation policy is great. You can have a drink in one restaurant, app in another, main course in anther... Our favorite restaurant, by far, was the grill by the beach and pool. Really, really good steak. Went there three times. Great appetizers, great main course and dessert as well. We were really taken care there by Daniel. House white and red wines were good. I found all of the drinks to be really good. The juice bar on the beach was really awesome. Fresh cut fruit smoothies...

Many people have mentioned the Italian guest issue. While there were many Italians on the property and a special activity club geared toward them, I didn't find it bothersome in any way. Actually made a couple of friends. We're not there to play games and get involved in activities, so that had no bearing on us whatsoever. The resort is multicultural and we find that a good thing.

We saw a couple of shows, including one that was Halloween themed, called Nightmare. I went in thinking I was going to see some possibly laughable production that we may or may not stay til the end of. Wrong. It was incredible. The caliber of dancers and choreography in the show was amazing.

We didn't go to the disco, so I can't address that but overall, if you're looking for a party place, this is not it. CRT adults only is a small, incredibly quite, relaxing, chill environment... Perfect for us.

We did notice that a lot of people weren't tipping but we always tipped at least a dollar but for our stellar servers, much more. The staff is all obviously trained very well but everyone we came in contact with had something beyond that and really deserve the extra acknowledgement. Noticed almost no one tipped at the juice bar. Please tip!

Have to mention some of the great staff members: Housekeeping for room 5016, Daniel in the grill (exceptional!), Dora (exelente!), Karina (Beach Service), Damien, Argel and Fernando.

My husband is not the AI type in general nor does he like to return to the same place twice. He likes to move on and find the next great place but he is already plotting a trip an anniversary trip with our family to Xpu Ha beach and our next trip to CRT. Can't wait!

Room Tip: If you like the beach, buildings 5 or 6, 3 and 4 right in the middle and 1 and 2, near the lobby and...
6  Thank MelissaCap
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a wonderful resort. It's an adults only, and it's not a party resort. If you want that, this is not the place for you. This is pure relaxation. So we are still here and this is my review of the things that are important to me when shopping for a place to stay:
-check in was easy. You can't get a room until 3 so if you arrive early, be prepared to wait. They let you have lunch though so that was cool. There are only 6 buildings here with one way in, and one out. Easy. Not a crowded resort. Our room was clean, bed was tolerable and they have a pillow menu if you don't like the ones on the bed. We had a 2nd floor room.
-Food: buffets are decent. I'm picky and have a sensitive stomach and I can always find something. My fail safe is the chicken and salad. Mexican restaurant stunk.
-Beach: Corona commercial nice. Warm, white sand, no rocks. Can snorkel here, kayak too. Be prepared for some topless people, it is adults only after all. They have activities about every 2 hours or so. Bingo, horse shoes, dancing lessons, darts, etc.. Music is played by the beach but it's def. not blaring. And you can always move away from the dj stand.
-Pool area: nice but people do get up at the crack of dawn to chair save with a towel or what not. It can be annoying but we have always gone to the beach instead, it's way better. Always chairs available.
-People here are very friendly. I have not encountered one person that does not go out of their way to help, or get you what you like. Oh, and you should tip, these people work their butts off, in the heat and make peanuts. It goes a long way. There are a lot of foreigners here but I have not seen any preferential treatment.
Overall I would definitely return here. It's clean, beach is awesome, food is decent, and service is great. We didn't have one issue.

Room Tip: Call ahead to arrival and request a king bed high floor. Building 3&4 are in the middle of the l...
4  Thank princessnoleah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#9 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Ocean Maya Royale
Ocean Maya Royale
#49 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!