“We'll be BAAAK!!”

Catalonia Royal Tulum
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We chose CRT from reviews & the fact that it's farther down the Riviera. And after such a great time in 2012, we found that it's the most inexpensive Adults Only hotel there! We were there for 5 nights.
We met many return visitors & we too became return visitors as we're booked for 2014. We've been several places on Riv Maya and the beach at CRT is the best. It's a smaller quieter place. There are less Americans(USA) as other places and more Italians. Which is cool. Everyone gets along. The restaurants, buffets, rooms, pools, bars are wonderful. The food is wonderful. The nightly entertainment is not as good as say, Valentin or Iberostar(adults) but good none-the-less. No swim-up bar but there's a pool bar w/ waitresses. Swim-ups have bees anyway.(HA!)

Our only complaint was not the resort but our dealings w/ Apple Vacations. There was no Apple rep on site for our entire stay! Glad it wasn't our first time out of the country! After calls to Apple we wasted an Hr a day waiting for a rep to show up. They never showed! We've used Apple before w/ no problems. After filing a serious complaint they had the gall to issue us two $100 vouchers for our next trip w/ APPLE(???) What a kick in the face. They went in the trash. We booked thru FunJet.

And we are anticipating another wonderful trip to CRT thru FunJet & we'll be there 7 nights this time.
CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Marco W
There are newer reviews for Catalonia Royal Tulum

Reviewed August 15, 2013

First, I'd like to say I've been all over the Caribbean, Hawaii and Mexico..and This beach at this hotel wins hands down as most beautiful. It's pristine white and when we were there, we were the only ones on it. The ocean is a clear, pale blue. The beach sand..a bit like baby powder. We were waited on by wait staff at the beach for our cocktails during the day but they did not have enough wait staff so service was slow. That needs improvement. The pool bar seemed overwhelmed with drink orders to the point that I would often make the walk to the lobby bar to get my drink refreshed there. The bartender at the lobby bar made a better drink anyway. :-). The room is large, but very dated. It's very clean but definitely time for some new furnishings and paint. We began with a standard room and upgraded to a suite. The suite was just a larger version of what we had before BUT..The upgrade came with 2 free massages, a free beach side romantic lobster dinner for 2 (in pvt cabana on beach). This dinner was AMAZING and came with our own personal waiter. The upgrade only costs about 140 usd and more than worth it. We came back to our room to find chilled champagne, chocolate dipped strawberries and luscious tropical fruit tray. Do this upgrade if still available! Pool was lovely and a welcome respite from the Tulum sun. The Jacuzzis are romantic and overlook the gorgeous beach. They were never crowded. The food at some of the restaurants was good, some very bland, some very cafeteria tasting..The best thing at breakfast was the omelet station, do it yourself mimosas, fresh juices (including watermelon and cantaloupe juices). The fresh fruits were always wonderful as well. You have to ask for bacon. They have it hidden under the counter by the omelet station. They will gladly make egg white omelets. Just ask. The seafood such as shrimp, fish and the lobster seemed the most tasty to me. The steak was a real miss..very tough which is typical in Mexico. We ate a lot of salad, fruit, fish and guacamole with chips at lunch. Never ordered room service. They have great coffee in the lobby late night with an espresso machine. Don't miss it. They have vendors that come once per week to sell their wares (Fridays near the lobby as I recall). There were some interesting finds and we did buy several unique items for reasonable prices. The staff..Well, some were wonderful and went out of their way to help and others were truly apathetic. I would say the pool bartenders were overworked. Front desk staff seemed great..especially the guy who offered and helped us with that upgrade! I believe he was a mgr or assistant mgr. Overall, the food was a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5. If not for that, I would have rated this property 5 stars! Hey management, get rid of the cafeteria tasting food on the buffets!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank TopazDreams
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We are currently still at resort & didn't want to wait until we got home to write this review. We have been to Jamaica (Couples) & Dominican (Secrets) & decided to try Mexico. Now I'm wishing we hadn't. Maybe it's just the resort but we are far from impressed.
Not being able to use US dollars was a huge disappointment! This should be made very clear to people before they leave the States!
Check in went fine. Rooms are clean but A/C doesn't work well. My husband talked to front desk and no one has even bothered to check on it and we checked in on 8/10 and this is now 8/14. I even complained again yesterday about it still nothing. We have had to ask multiple times to get mini bar restocked before it was finally.
The language barrier is horrible! I know a little Spanish but a lot of staff doesn't seem to even try.
The pool bar is bad they cater to the pushy, rude Italians, forget your drinks and wonder why you don't tip them. People saving lounge chairs at pool is bad.
Food overall is good. The best service we have had is from Gabriel at the Italian restaurant. Again we still have 3 days left and I'm really wishing we would have done 4 days instead of 7. If my opinion changes I will definitely write another review. But catalonia will definitely have to wow me to get me to change my opinion at this point.
Very disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2013
8  Thank jessica391
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I were upgraded from the Catalonia Riviera Maya Hotel at then end of July. The beach alone was worth the trip! I did not see any other patrons from other resorts at all on the beach. Everyone from the front desk staff to the bellhops, housekeeping, and the concierge were terrific. We ate at every restaurant and the Mexican and Italian restaurants were by far the best. The buffets had good selections as well. We went through Lomas travel for all of our transportation and excursions, the representative was fantastic, she went above and beyond what was expected of and I highly recommend them as well. The nightly entertainment was fun, but the most important thing for us was the relaxation. Being able to sleep or read in peace and quiet was priceless. We are already planning for another trip and will be bringing friends and family with us. Definitely a hidden jewel in the Mayan Riviera.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first building on the north side and could hear the music from the theater loudly...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Ronald V
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our stay was 4 nights, the second week in August. Weather was great! Occasional passing rains and one late evening storm...but never anything that disrupted our enjoyment. The staff were truly wonderful. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. Though many spoke little English, we always were able to have effective communications. They really work hard to keep the resort clean and nice. Check in and check out was effortless.

Our room was a junior suite, very nice and plenty of space We had a large balcony. The bed was comfortable and the air worked great in our room. Pillow menu was available, and nightly turn down service provided.

The layout of the resort is well done and the way the rain forest is incorporated in the grounds is very nice. You always feel close to nature. A beautiful resort really. We particularly enjoyed the fact that this resort is adults only. Not at all a party type resort...which was a plus for us. Nice, quiet and so relaxing.

The pool was nice, loved the shallow sunning pool! There were always lounge chairs available and the palapas (pool beds) were ALWAYS available. We used one of these for an afternoon nap and just loved it! We are beach people and mostly stayed there. Its a nice beach. Soft sand, plenty of loungers lots of space for sun and shade. The water was beautifully clear. A few rocks here and there off shore...but they were flat and nothing to worry about. We never had trouble finding a lounge chair on the beach either. Maybe not always in the exact location we would prefer....but hey...that happens when you sleep in! We had a really great beach experience here. There were non-motorized water crafts available, kayaks, guided catamaran. Snorkel equipment available and was all inclusive.

We did not attend any of the entertainment venues so I cannot comment on those.

The only reason this is 4 stars and not 5 is due to the food. Not very good for us. But we are very much "American Cuisine" type people. They are trying to please a large variety of palates there and do have a wide variety of food choices. The buffet food was plentiful but just not a lot that was very high quality. We had some pretty tough beef, instant mashed potatoes and ate a lot of salad to fill up. Tried the steak restaurant and the flank was left on the plate by my husband. I ate the prime rib, and it was ok. Better than his flank. I ordered the crab cake and it was not at all what I expected and was clearly thawed and had some water running from it and was still quite cool in the center. Breakfast was the best. Could always find something there. Husband again could not eat the fajitas he ordered at the Mexican restaurant...the shrimp tacos were actually the best thing I had while there. Pizza was quite good one day and not quite cooked through the next. None of the food was well seasoned and my husband did mention he would bring his own seasoning blend next time.

We ordered room service twice, once for dinner (a sandwich) breakfast once. Breakfast was by far the best. Yep...we ordered the american breakfast The room service menu is sparse. The food came quickly each time...but the hot breakfast was cool...but again...I did not expect it piping hot though.

We took private transportation via US Transports and this service was flawless. They were there waiting each way. The ride took about 40 minutes each way.

We used the collectivo one day to go shopping in Playa del Carmen. An experience to say the least. I am not much of a shopper and would not bother doing this again. The collectivo was easy to use and inexpensive at $3 per person each way. A private taxi was going to be $23.00 each way.

Our only complaint was the food...just not our kind of meals. Plenty of fresh fruit available though. This was nice. This was a wonderfully relaxing vacation and we did not want to leave. We would go again to this resort....and I highly recommend it as a great experience and a fabulous beach area. A truly beautiful place and wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 2000 area are closest to the theater area where shows are and we did move after the fir...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Carrie F
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My friend and I stayed here from 1st July 2013 to 14th July 2013 and had an amazing time. The transfer of 85 minutes (Thomsons) was not too bad even after a 10 hour flight. We were checked in within 5 minutes, very efficiently and were given a general introduction to the hotel and the restaurant times.

We were surprised by the fact that you didn't have to book for the restaurants and we could go as many times as we wanted. Our favourites were the Thai and Italian, with the Tapas, Buffet, Steak House and Mexican coming in a close joint second. The staff in the restaurants ensured that we were seated quickly and that our drinks were replenished regularly and were always very helpful. The breakfast, lunch and snack bar provided a range of different foods that would suit anyone's pallet, even the most fussiest of eaters.

The room we were in was immaculate and our housekeeper made sure that the mini bar was topped up every day. The beach towels are replaced on a night as part of a 'turn down' service, which was a bit over the top but nice all the same. I don't think people realise the amount of hard work that goes on behind the scenes at the hotel because you very rarely see any staff apart from waiters and waitresses, restaurant greeters and the odd housekeeper/ cleaner.

The beach and the pool were really clean and you can see that the staff take pride in their work and ensure that the hotel is well maintained, from raking the beach to jet washing the paths to trimming and weeding the plants. Have to say a special thank you to the ladies who go around the pool and bring you drinks; they are really efficient and work really hard in the heat.

There are also animals in the grounds of the hotel; iguanas, lemmas, birds, a very shy racoon and plenty of lizards, which all provided plenty of entertainment for us while we were walking backwards and forwards to our room.

The entertainment on a night was really good and the entertainers did try and cater to all of the different nationalities which were there. The bar areas are very relaxing on a night with a good variety of drinks available.

Our only issue with the hotel was that there were a lot of Italians there who at times can appear a little ignorant, pushing to the front at the bar when other people had been there a while and expecting people to move out of their way while walking about. This however is nothing that the hotel has any control over, so we didn't let it affect our stay.

Recommendations for anyone going:
1. Take plenty of insect repellent
2. Go on the whale shark tour - it was amazing
3. Go to Coco Bongo (the Thomsons organised tour was good value for money) as it is superb.
4. Ensure you have plenty of money for tips as we were told that the staff rely a lot on their tips to support their income.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank loveholidaysallover
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was my first time in Mexico. Our group (four women) got a free upgrade from Catalonia Riveria Maya to Royal Tulum - a great value and nice to go to an adults only resort! We had an amazing week and couldn't have asked for better service. I recommend going to the Mao Loo juice bar on the beach. Get some fresh juice and then ask the bartender to pour some rum in it. I especially loved the snorkeling and playing volleyball with the staff and the Italians. I did not experience the rudeness from other travelers that others seemed to have experienced. Everyone was very nice and I liked the fact that they weren't loud. The food was good - we especially enjoyed the buffets and the Mexican restaurant. Each night we had something different to do, whether it was turtle watching, karaoke, or the pool party. Mostly I just enjoyed sitting on the beach with my book and a drink in my hand, feeling the Caribbean breeze. We never had to fight for beach chairs. Loved the clear water, the sand, and the overall atmosphere!

Room Tip: Rooms are separated from the restaurants and entertainment areas. Our room was on the first floor an...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Heidi K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Ocean Maya Royale
Ocean Maya Royale
#48 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!